+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GPS IN The Sugarbush

As far as I know that would require the $50,000 GPS setup. I work for a survey & engineering firm and that's how much the equipment costs that locks into the satellites and can give accurate vertical and horizontal elevations to the hundredth of a foot. The small hand held units generally are only accurate to within 10 feet vertically and horizontally. So they wouldn't be good for setting a main line. There is a "smart level" on the market for around $100 that can be placed on the main and will tell you the % slope, very handy.
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by H. Walker View Post
    Ok you GPS guys I'm new to this technology, is there such a thing as being able to do elevatons accurate enough to set main lines at 2 or 3%?
    The short answer is yes, it is possible. The longer answer is it'll cost you far more than it's worth. Professional GPS receivers for surveying work are quite pricey, and for that kind of money you'd be better off buying an RO or vac system.

What you can do with a commercial handheld GPSr is map out the locations of your trees with fair accuracy and overlay that data onto a digital topo map to determine the best positions for your mainlines.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

Survey grade GPS units that'll provide centimeter horizontal / vertical accuracy are very expensive, and DON'T provide that high of accuracy when there is leaf cover. If you're laying out mainlines in fairly flat areas, spend $250 for a decent construction level/ tripod and use it to check your grade, that's how I do it.
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

GPS accuracy is the question with shooting the mainline grade. Simply-put: anything consumer-level has 'not a chance'. Sink 10k into one and you could have me wondering why you're not paying someone else to do it.

So - no. GPS are useful, but the elevation accuracy is quite difficult - especially in the woods. Best accuracy is before leaf-out (or after of course). A few options exist: best perhaps is a clinometer (oh, and that's another $150 to invest - do a search for forestry suppliers).

Now, we'll really test you: If you mapped your waypoints for the bush and downloaded it to the computer, uploaded to a mapping tool (such as google earth, etc), you might be able to get your grade very close on paper. This would help in planning more than actually in the bush.

Folks, your not going to get decent elevation until you purchase a surveyor grade GPS($$$).
    Even the GIS grade GPS gives you whacky elevations. Your best bet is to get one off the shelf ($200?) and map out your taps and lines horizontally, than upload to your computer. You can then overlay in Google Earth to visualize slope (they use 20 ft interval contours).... or download the fGIS software (free GIS software) from forestpal.com and then obtain the 2' contours and latest aerial photography from your local govt GIS or planning office or from a state GIS data clearinghouse site. Load it all into fGIS and whala!

The 2' contours were flown using LIDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) in Pennsylvania. Not sure about other states.

I can offer services to do all this to those of you that are relatively near by me.

My hand meld gps from garmin reads exactly the same elevation as the $5,000 dollar gps in my dads Cessna. maybe its not as accurate on the ground but it is in the air.
    Last edited by twitch; 02-16-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    2 1/2 x 10 with steam away leader drop flue inferno arch.
    550 in gravity

Clan, that is the exact GPS unit that i use at work. pretty decent unit, it is considered a sub-meter accuracy, but after post processing, I can get down to 1-2' accuracy
    FIRST GENERATION SUGARMAKER
    First boil 2/22/2012! Went Pefect!
    3,500' of laterals
    1,000' of mainline
    2012 - 105 taps on gravity, 12 sap sacks.
    2013 - 175 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks = 200 taps for 2013! Second year.
    2014 - 250 taps on gravity, 25 on sacks
    Tapped on February 16, 2014
    2015 - adding vac sap puller no more gravity for me!
    275 gallon holding tank for 2014
    20'x30' Sugarhouse

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    My hand meld gps from garmin reads exactly the same elevation as the $5,000 dollar gps in my dads Cessna. maybe its not as accurate on the ground but it is in the air.
    What is the range of error/accuracy in the Cessnas elevation? Just curious.
    2011 and prior
    40+ gravity
    transport to a friends evap
    borrowed 4 wheeler as a mule

40 Gravity (buckets and main line tubing)
    Boil over open oan
    Borrowed 4-wheeler as a mule

50+ taps
    2X3 Evap from A&A Metal Shop
    Barn built from pallets
    borrowed 4-wheeler.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12