+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting trees

Default Renting trees

I have a neighbor who has 177 acres of land and on it is a 45 acre 16'' to 20'' diameter tree size bush.It has not been tapped in app.20 years so should be vergin trees.He will let me tap them but will not let me pay by the tap.He wants so much per the gallon of sap.Can anyone shed some info to the subject?Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Lee
    3x12 D&G Champion, 1100 taps w/27" of vac.New in 2013 600gph RO. 10 buckets for the kids.

Default renting trees

hey lee i never heard of anyone charging by the gallon of sap!that would be alright if he was going to tap it then sell the sap to you. i think you would have enough of your own money in it. i pay .30 a tap .maybe it would average out if not alot of sap was gathered . did he give you a set price per gallon?@ .25 a gallon every time you go and gather 100gal is 25.00 so out of every 100 you almost give him a gal of syrup. i think in this case its only worth it if you buy the sap from him at the going rate!with his exspense on tubing or buckets.sap could only test 1.5%. by the way did the vacuum pump work that we swapped?
    Last edited by treefinder; 10-28-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    4x14 leader oil fired max revolution with preheater
    5800 taps all on vacuum
    2400 gph spring tech RO

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...albumview=grid

Default rental rates

Yes, most trees are rented by the tap but you should be able to do a few conversions to adapt to what the landowner wants. If the going rate is $.30 per tap and an average tap yields about 10 gallons of 2% sap per year then each gallon would be worth 3 cents. How would the volume of sap be measured? Are you installing tubing? Will it be under vacuum? Can you get a long term lease?
    My 2cents
    Doug

mfchef54 Guest

I hope you don't mind me jumping in but that .30 per tap is that for the whole season?

Valley View Sugarhouse Guest

Default renting trees

I pay 30 cents a tap (each hole I drill), and I own all the equipment in the woods, do the work, and truck the sap. I buy some sap, and I pay 30 cents a gallon for 2.5% sap delivered, and it is prorated up or down depending on sugar content. If I have to pick it up, I charge between 10-15 cents a gallon for the trucking.

i had the same kinda of offer when i told the owner to put up the tubing and i would buy the sap after he priced out all the stuff needed he said 25 cents a hole
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

Seems about right that if you are using buckets or gravity tubing the sap might be 3 to 4 cents per gallon. So if you get 10 gallons of 2% sap at 4 cents per gallon it would be 40 cents per tap. The 10 gallons of sap would make a quart of syrup. If you can use vacuum for the same price even better.
    My 4 cents
    BTW we are going to still pay a gallon of syrup for each 100 taps in 2009. We put up the tubing have all the investment in time and hauling too.

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

All my deals are for a gallon of syrup per 100 taps, a quart for 25 etc. Everyone loves to get the syrup and not the money. Just my experience.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

I pay .50 per tap. When it comes down to it for the convenience for me to leave my lines up year round that is cheap. I know that alot of you are paying .25 to .30 per tap. The way I look at it is the one main line that I have on property other than my own has 7 different owners and if one is not happy then I can't have the other land owners trees running to my sugarhouse. So in a case where one of them has around 200 taps I'm happy to pay 100.00 With vacuum this year I got about .6 gal of syrup per tap so it was a good investment.

Lee
    As for paying per gallon, It leaves room for argument. If you keep track how does he know your being honest and visa versa. Going by the tap is easy. You can count them and he can count them and then no arguing. Like someone else said usually paying per gallon is for some one selling sap to you. And since the land owner isn't the one footing the cost to install the tubing. Tell him if he wants to install all of the tubing and sell you the sap you will pay him by the gallon otherwise you are only willing to pay per tap unless he is willing to acept .02 per gallon
    Keith

like i said before i pay .30 a tap and i signed a ten year lease agreement. thats the only way i would do it way to much money to invest then have the owner up and cut off his bush . and then i'm out all time and money invested.right now we have 1225 taps $368.00 a year but it keeps going up every year because i can't stop tapping.i just tell him everyyear how many taps we have . there's no need to be dishonest when your only talking a few more dallars every year,and he could go count them anytime .
    4x14 leader oil fired max revolution with preheater
    5800 taps all on vacuum
    2400 gph spring tech RO

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u...albumview=grid

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast