+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wood Wolf Rack & Pinion Splitter

Default Wood Wolf Rack & Pinion Splitter

Anyone have experience with this splitter. Made locally in NH.

MapleMe
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    2x5.5 Lapierre Raised Flue, AUF
    150 taps on gravity line
    2011 John Deere Gator XUV, gonna be a great hauler
    Wood Wolf Splitter
    One VERY understanding wife

Default Rack and Pinion splitter

MapleME, back in the late 80's my neighbor was trying his hand at selling a rack and pinion splitter, don't remember where it was made but think VT or NH. Not sure if these would be the same company or make.
    It was very fast compared to cylinder types. Only draw back (then) was its size. Kind of small if you were splitting much over 18-24 inch wood. If had largwer it was easier to half the wood before putting it on the splitter. Either way it did save a LOT of time splitting. Heard the company did a test with theirs and same size hydraulic, the rack and pinion was done with a cord and stacking it while the other was only half way finished.
    So my dad and I got some measurments of one and built one upscaled a little, heavier rack and pinion and flywheels. Spit 20-22" long and 24-30" dia. no problem. Also no gas motor noise with electric motor driving it.

Default update, PURCHASED

not sure if anyone was following this, but I figured I would post up here I just returned home from NH and picked up a wood wolf. Did some research, talked to a few people- seems like a simple design that has been around since 1923. Its a heavy S.O.B but I will report back how she does on the wood. The demo REX industries has, has cut 300+ cords with no issues or replaced parts which is a good sign. The owner got the patten after it ran out from the company who makes a similar one in Massachusetts which was the original patten owner.
    Josh
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    150 taps on gravity line
    Wood Wolf Splitter

These are the fastest at splitting wood that I have ever seen. They are very reliable and simple in operation. If I didn't own the "Honest Abe" that I have I would certainly buy one of these.
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

Mapleme, I had the chance to use one of these to split wood for the wife's uncle down east. What I remember is that 2 people feeding us wood could not keep up with the splitter. If memories serve me right we did 8 cord in 5 hours. Could be off a little being 19 years ago.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

Lou, if you need to borrow it just let me know. Happy to lend it out. fit in the back of my suburban...we had to get creative but it fit. Sure beat towing it from central NH to Brunswick. Ill rip in to the wood pile tommorow and report back. J
    MapleME
    Brunswick, Maine
    150 taps on gravity line
    Wood Wolf Splitter

+ Reply to Thread