+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Occupation

Head up the public works operation for a very small town (population, 305). We take care of the water system, roads, vehicle maintenance, buildings and grounds, cemetery, and anything else that's asked of us. 31 years so far.........
    1,200 taps on USFS land, 3x8 King w/Steamaway. Lapierre RO.

Retired Logger and land invester. Now working on making a life long dream come true of owning my own sugar bush with all the bells and whisles. Well so far, one of the pieces of timberland I invested in has 50 acres of 90% sugar maple with most of it in the tapping range. Presently I'm cutting the brush and thinning the overstory by removing other species and lesser quality sugar maples. What a big job for little old me. I"m diceing up all that I cut to return to earth not wanting any root damage from equipement and moving wood tree scaring. Also means no extra cutting for skid roads. The bush will be 50 acres of class act when I get done. Probably 3500 taps. After that access road construction, Sugar house built where all the sap will run right in with all the stuff to go along with sugaring. I think each step forward will be almost as much fun as boiling sap. By the way, thank you all for the knowledge base we have here. I've been reading you guys for quite some time now and feel as though I know you. THANKS

Run family construction business and farm. Really want to get back to farming full time again.
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Carpenter for the last 24 years,13 years on my own. Christmas trees and wreaths and maple syrup when the seasons are in.
    2'x5' wood-fired Leader evaporator
    10 buckets
    250 on gravity
    12'x16' sap house
    home made forced air, pre-heater and hood
    2 black and white "sap dogs"
    5" filter press that I love
    Waterguy 250 R.O.

3rd shift grauge forman for a very large trucking company part time farm hand for my dad don't pay real well ok don't pay at all and part time frieght relocating engneer a.k.a truck driver
    Boyd
    750 taps on vacuum
    150 taps on gravity
    122 buckets
    250 gph homemade ro
    3x8 raised flue pans on a homemade air over arch
    hoods and preheater
    my biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my sugaring stuff for what i told her i payed for it
    http://s367.photobucket.com/albums/oo112/jrthe3/

Smile

Full Time Farmer , Ya Gary R Its 10:30 Just Getting In -cattle ,hay ,maple Syrup
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Big maple Guest

Commercial / Industrial Electrical contractor, General contractor(residential)

Wholesale Beer Distributor
    80-100 taps
    2x6 patrick phaneuf Evaporator

been meat cutter for over 25 years. Now laid off and will be starting collage next week. Going to Kent State Univerity, Salem branch. Will be studying Computers. Bvr is paying for my classes and books, while Workers comp will pay me living maintence for the next 2 years.
    Also in progress of adopting our first Son. He should be placed with us in Sept. or October. I hope he likes making syrup. By the way he is now 16.
    600 taps
    3'x8' Dellair evaporator

Haynes Forest Products Guest

15 yrs dental tech,10 yrs tree service mech,owner,welder,carpenter,plumber,elec,tile,spri nklers,landscaper,part time syrup maker jack of all trades master of none. never filled out a job application and have never been unemployed...........58 years old with a 4,8 and 21 year old so retierment is out of the question

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast