+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: discussion on the ALH beetle

Quote Originally Posted by mapleman3 View Post
    Also the pesticide application they are using should be clearly marked on threes by a tag... anyone even remotely near a quarentine site SHOULD NOT tap trees... just in case a tree is treated BUT NOT marked as so. DON'T take any chances.
    2 questions...

1 how is the pesticide administered? is it a spray or do they inject it right inot the tree?

2 If a tree is treated, how long is the recommended time to wait before it can be tappped again?
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

southdevonbeef Guest

I'm always looking at the trees for ALB on Ft. Drum. When I was in Afghanistan none of the wood that we used was made in the USA or Canada. We had truck loads of wood material, most of which I'm sure was made in China. Other then plywood it was all rough cut and none of it was kiln dried. After our rotation we packed all of our stuff into contaniers using all rough cut lumber(produced in Asia) for bracing loaded it up and sent it all back to the good old USA. When units get back to Ft. Drum and unpack all that wood gets thrown out. I've seen piles the size of 2 car garages. Customs inspection in country is a joke. When containers are opened after return the amount of rocks and soil etc... that falls out of them is hard to imagine. What are the odds that after 9 years of units coming and going that the ALB was not in at least one piece of that rough cut lumber?

OH I am sure that is true, which is really bad and more should be done to enforce this but. Especially since the majority of our products come form other countries. You would think there would be alot more pest infestation in california because of their big ports coming from asia across the pacific.

I always look at my trees when ever I am in the woods as well. Especially if I have some that happen to drop leaves early or have a little decline or in generally weaker trees for what ever reason.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I know that the campground i went to over the 4th handed me a flyer when I checked in saying it was illegal to bring wood in or out. Well they were not really enforcing it. Iknow it will cost them more to inspect every vehicle coming in, but I wasn't even asked if I brought any wood other than the flyer. I didn't try to bring my own but I'm sure some did.
    It sure makes it so the campground can make a killing on selling small bundles
    Keith

I don't bring wood anymore..I did years ago ago only because thats what you did. Now I ususally find the road side camp fire wood stands they usually on the same road as the camp grounds. and what ever I have left I leave it for the next guy. The camp ground probabbly takes it re-sells it but I'd rather just leave it there!!!

I practice this reguardless of the rules. I don't want to bring anything to their woods and I know I don't what to bring anything back to my woods!!!

I honestly don't know if NH has any of these rules, and from what 3rdgen said NY has laws for this and I am sure others states do as well. I think its just a good practice reguardless.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Quote Originally Posted by red maples View Post
    2 questions...

1 how is the pesticide administered? is it a spray or do they inject it right inot the tree?

2 If a tree is treated, how long is the recommended time to wait before it can be tappped again?

Here is some info

Q. How are the insecticide injections made to the tree?
    A. Imidacloprid is applied through either tree trunk or soil injections under USDA supervision. Trunk injections are applied directly into the trunk of the tree. Soil injections are applied directly into the soil around the base of the tree. The number of injections (trunk or soil) required per tree is dependent on the size of the tree. With both methods of injection, the insecticide moves upward into stems, twigs, and foliage. The intent of the injection treatments is to deliver the active ingredient of the pesticide to active tree-growth areas, where the beetle would be expected to feed and lay eggs.

Q. Where and when do applications take place?
    A. Treatments will be applied to the ALB-infested areas in the spring. For treatment maps, visit http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...alb_maps.shtml.

Q. Is this insecticide used for other things?
    A. Imidacloprid is most commonly used to control pests on rice, cereal, maize, potatoes, vegetables, sugar beets, fruit, cotton, hops, and turf. It can be used as a seed or soil treatment or applied to foliage. It is also used in flea treatments for pets and in lawn care to control white grubs. More information about imidacloprid is available on the Extension Toxicology Network Web site (http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet). EXTOXNET is a pesticide information project of the cooperative extension offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and the University of California at Davis; major support and funding are provided by the USDA Extension Services' National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.

Q. How does imidacloprid aid in eradicating ALB?
    A. Chemical treatments applied area-wide can reduce beetle populations and help contain the spread of ALB.

Q. What previous tests have been done using this insecticide to control ALB?
    A. USDA and Chinese researchers conducted lab and field tests both in China and the United States. The testing of possible insecticides with systemic activity against wood-boring beetles showed that imidacloprid was the most effective. The testing indicated that imidacloprid was effective against adult beetles as they feed on small twigs, and young larvae as they feed beneath the bark.

BUT, from talks we have had with MDAR and USDA, We are not to Tap the trees... and they don't yet know how long until you can.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mapleman3 View Post
    Here is some info

Q. How are the insecticide injections made to the tree?
    A. Imidacloprid is applied through either tree trunk or soil injections under USDA supervision. Trunk injections are applied directly into the trunk of the tree. Soil injections are applied directly into the soil around the base of the tree. The number of injections (trunk or soil) required per tree is dependent on the size of the tree. With both methods of injection, the insecticide moves upward into stems, twigs, and foliage. The intent of the injection treatments is to deliver the active ingredient of the pesticide to active tree-growth areas, where the beetle would be expected to feed and lay eggs.

Q. Where and when do applications take place?
    A. Treatments will be applied to the ALB-infested areas in the spring. For treatment maps, visit http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...alb_maps.shtml.

Q. Is this insecticide used for other things?
    A. Imidacloprid is most commonly used to control pests on rice, cereal, maize, potatoes, vegetables, sugar beets, fruit, cotton, hops, and turf. It can be used as a seed or soil treatment or applied to foliage. It is also used in flea treatments for pets and in lawn care to control white grubs. More information about imidacloprid is available on the Extension Toxicology Network Web site (http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet). EXTOXNET is a pesticide information project of the cooperative extension offices of Cornell University, Michigan State University, Oregon State University, and the University of California at Davis; major support and funding are provided by the USDA Extension Services' National Agricultural Pesticide Impact Assessment Program.

Q. How does imidacloprid aid in eradicating ALB?
    A. Chemical treatments applied area-wide can reduce beetle populations and help contain the spread of ALB.

Q. What previous tests have been done using this insecticide to control ALB?
    A. USDA and Chinese researchers conducted lab and field tests both in China and the United States. The testing of possible insecticides with systemic activity against wood-boring beetles showed that imidacloprid was the most effective. The testing indicated that imidacloprid was effective against adult beetles as they feed on small twigs, and young larvae as they feed beneath the bark.

BUT, from talks we have had with MDAR and USDA, We are not to Tap the trees... and they don't yet know how long until you can.
    Interesting info right there. As I am a licensed applicator in NY, class 3a, I am certified to treat for alb, most of my experience is on the turf side though, as I do treat for white grubs, primarily European chafers. Imidaclopirid is a restricted pesticide in NY, available only to licensed applicators, although I don't know about other states, but I have used this for several years as an insecticide, & results have been very good, but timing is very important. One of the recertification classes I took last November had to do with ALB, a very informative class. Good discussion here, let's keep it going.....

Interesting info right there. As I am a licensed applicator in NY, class 3a, I am certified to treat for alb, most of my experience is on the turf side though, as I do treat for white grubs, primarily European chafers. Imidaclopirid is a restricted pesticide in NY, available only to licensed applicators, although I don't know about other states, but I have used this for several years as an insecticide, & results have been very good, but timing is very important. One of the recertification classes I took last November had to do with ALB, a very informative class. Good discussion here, let's keep it going.....

Agreed lets keep it going. Since you posted the class was very informative would you care to share some of the info you have learned from that class or any other knowledge you have collected on the ALB. Also curious have you heard of it arriving in NY as well. Follow this link to an updated article I found today http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/...e-yet.html?i=1
    Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; 07-09-2010 at 10:16 PM.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I haven't heard anymore info on the incident at falkner hospital in MA they thought that they came from from firewood but from the pictures I saw in the boston Globe it looked the trees lined the parking lot...which is a very scary because if any ALB got into or into any cars...and went for a ride....or maybe thats how they got there in the first place.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

I couldn't find the article on line, but in boston Globe today...they talked about ways detect ALB in trees. 1 way is by sound. I guess its a handheld device that pics up sound waves within the tree and can hear the ALB chewing wood inside the trees.

the second is an experiment being done by a professor and an undergrad student at northeastern U. Basically its a collar that wraps around the tree and sends microwaves into the tree and detects dry voids with in the trees where ALB have began to eat there way into the core of the tree. It will supposedly be able to detect the ALB at an earlier stage. but its just in theory at this time and a prototype should be done by next year.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast