+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: discussion on the ALH beetle

The scariest part about it is if they figure the beetle has been there about 5 years, how many city folks that go camping or have 2nd homes in the country that potentially could have already spread the alh beetle to other parts. You just don't know.
    I would hope that the usda and state agencies involved would do alot of questioning of the residents in the Q zone to see if by any chance they have taken fire wood or palletts to another location and then go to that area and look for signs.
    Keith

I just got to thinking, since I'll be going to a wood fired evaporator this year and am in the process of scrounging up all the free wood I can get... what's my first resource? Craigslist. I check the "free" section for Western Mass daily to see if anyone is giving away anything burnable. People are always giving stuff away.

Well, what about people in the Worcester area? I looked.

I won't post everything I found here, you can see for yourself.

I did find this, though, which suggests we aren't the only ones taking this seriously:

wood Holden st Worcester

Reply to: sale-830835572@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2008-09-06, 11:06PM EDT

This guy post free wood on Holden St in Worcester.
    He is in the ALB RESTRICTED ZONE.
    Some people just don't care about the enviornment.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 830835572
    I've started going down the list, emailing people who may be in the quarantine zone, and providing them with links to more info.
    Patrick

Wood fired barrel boiler and squirrel cage forced air
    Slowly warping plexi steam hood
    shiny selfmade copper pre-heater
    Fiddy something taps
    10x12 raised platform shack
    not enough coffee
    picked a bad year to give up ice cream

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    Occasional Creek Maple [+] On Facebook [+] On Twitter
    ~~~~Personal~~~~
    Shared pics [+] Best Imitation of Myself [+] On Facebook

Any help like that is good Pat. I just watched a DVD on it that I got from the USDA. There are many informational items going around at the agriculture exibits and booths at the BIG E, I was very happy to see how they are taking this seriously. they have displays and are handing out as much as they can. As I work at the booth I have talked with many people from the worcester area that are either in the ALHB Zone or know someone there. it's on everyone's mind that comes by. I made a poster board and have it as the first thing you see when you come to the Maple Booth and many people read it and shake their heads then ask questions and any info we can hand them.

It's disturbing to see the Craigslist stuff and now I will look at those ads also.
    Thanks for the heads up on them.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

New news I heard this morning: more beetles were found in Worcester outside the quarantine zone. It's now been expanded to include all of Worcester, and parts of the surrounding towns.

Links to official news sources:
    Worcester Telegram and Gazette
    North Adams Transcript
    WBZ NewsRadio 1030 Boston

Link to new Quarantine Map (PDF file)
    Link
    Patrick

Fiddy something taps
    not enough coffee

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    ~~~~Personal~~~~

That's what scares me the most is as time goes on how many other areas will be identifed. I would hope that all or as many of the land owners or resisdents in the affected neighborhoods are questioned thouroughly to see if they may have taken wood in the past to another location. If they have been there for approx. 5 years who knows if someone took some of the wood to there camp 2 or 3 yrs ago, unknowingly have spread it.
    Keith

Yeah if you ask me, that's already happened, I'm sure someone has moved wood from there before the break of the news.... Which means they will not find all of them before the killing frost and to kill the pupae,therefore next summer they will be out. this thing isnt going away very soon.
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Maple Hill Sugarhouse Guest

Reports of 3 different companies having violated the ALB quarantine in Worcester. One of them actually took classes, got certified to operate in the zone, and still violated the quarantine. Greed, it would seem, is not the sole province of Wall Street.

http://www.telegram.com/article/2008...s01&source=rss
    Patrick

Fiddy something taps
    not enough coffee

~~Maple Sugaring~~
    ~~~~Personal~~~~

the china men did it they planted them buggers here then went back and planted maples u know there plan destroy our trees then take over the producing of syrup ....

Valley View Sugarhouse Guest

lol the fines are a joke.. say he carried 4 maple vaneer logs out, and got caut with 2, he's still ahead of the game... If they really want to enforce these laws they need to make stiffer penalties, like mandatory 1 year in jail, 50k in fines, and loss of arborist licence for life... oh baby look out, he can't work in the quarantine zone, could get 1000 in fines and a few months in jail?? that equils to 200 fine, and a slap on the wrist for the first offence...

What a f in joke...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast