+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: discussion on the ALH beetle

Default Alert *** Asian longhorned beetle infestation in Ma.

The Asian longhorned beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis, "ALB"), a pest of hardwood trees including maple, birch and horse chestnut, was recently discovered in Worcester, Massachusetts. An astute resident of the Greendale section of Worcester reported the sighting, and it was confirmed by entomologists from USDA APHIS-PPQ earlier this week.

The Asian Longhorn Beetle is an invasive species native to China. It was first discovered in the U.S. in New York in 1996, and has also been found in Chicago and New Jersey. The beetles cause damage by tunneling within the trunks and branches of trees, disrupting the sap flow and weakening and eventually killing them.

This pest attacks a wide variety of hardwood trees, particularly maples, and is considered a serious threat to the nursery, lumber, wood products, maple syrup, and tourism industries in our state. If it became established over a large area, it could also significantly disrupt the forest ecosystem.

The Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources, and the City of Worcester are partnering with the U.S. Forest Service and USDA APHIS-PPQ to coordinate a management plan to eradicate this species in Massachusetts. First steps include a survey of the area to determine the extent of the infestation, and regulatory management to prevent movement of host trees and wood out of the infested area. Infested trees will need to be removed and destroyed, and susceptible host trees may need treatment to prevent further infestations. Trees will not be cut down and destroyed until after the first killing frost. Although this seems like the wrong thing to do, to wait any longer, but there is a reason for this approach. The adult beetles don't fly very well or very far, and tend to stay on their original host tree. Cutting down infested trees now will disrupt the adult beetles and they would tend to fly away to new host trees. By leaving them on their host trees, they will be killed by the frost, and then the trees can be cut and incinerated to kill the eggs and larvae that are still within the trees.

The Mass Maple Association was first notified about this infestation early in the week. We have been in regular communication with authorities on both the state and federal levels. As of today, federal and state authorities have established a preliminary quarantine area around the infestation in Worcester. They have started to train people to complete a full survey of trees in the area, looking for more infestations. That survey will start August 25th. A large team of USDA pest experts will soon descend upon Worcester for this project, including people who have had first-hand experience with other infestations in New York and New Jersey. Later this summer there will be an investigation of wood products such as packing materials and pallets that may be in the surrounding area, and will try to determine if any of those materials have been shipped elsewhere in the US. The infestation in Worcester is in a residential and commercial/industrial area where there are many piles of old wood pallets stacked behind industrial buildings and old mills.

What can you do? The best thing you can do as a concerned citizen and maple producer is to educate yourself about this insect pest and learn how to identify it, and the signs if an ALHB infestation. Once you know what to look for, keep a close eye on your trees, especially those producers in the Worcester area. Any infestation can be reported via this website: http://massnrc.org/pests/linkeddocum...LB_Aug2008.htm

To learn more: Take some time to read up about this pest, the following websites are the most helpful.
    New Defenses Against the Daunting Asian Longhorned Beetle
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archiv...beetle0506.htm

USDA - APHIS - Plant Health, Plant Protection and Quarantine http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_heal...hb/index.shtml

Asian Longhorned Beetle - UVM Entomology Research Laboratory
    http://www.uvm.edu/albeetle/

To learn more about the Massachusetts infestation:
    Asian longhorned beetle 'our worst nightmare' - Framingham, MA - The MetroWest Daily News
    http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...orst-nightmare

Beetles infesting trees in Bay State - The Boston Globe
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...in_bay_state/\

If you have any further questions, be sure to get in touch with me.
    Or
    Tom McCrumm, Coordinator
    Massachusetts Maple Producers Association
    Watson-Spruce Corner Rd.
    Ashfield, MA 01330
    413-628-3912
    www.massmaple.org
    info@massmaple.org
    Last edited by mapleman3; 08-08-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: fix of web links
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Exclamation discussion on the ALH beetle

Use this thread to discuss your concerns, ask questions and get info on the dreaded beetle. Any new info we get will be posted here. Let's hope we can keep this beetle confined to a small area and destroyed asap

The main info is in the "News " section of Mapletrader.com
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Jim
    Too close to home especially for you. Keep our fingers crossed that it can be contained. I tried to post the email sent by Tom so that everybody on the trader could read it but I couldn't. Maybe you can.
    Keith

Never mind I see it is in the news section
    Keith

Tom and I have been discussing this since it first was detected, right now it's still the first stages of an investigation. I may try to go and look at the trees maybe with a few other Board members. We will keep everyone notified of the progress. But everyone really should be vigilant and start closely monitoring their trees. early detection is the key.
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

There was an outbreak of ALHB in Toronto a few years ago. I'm not sure if they've completely contained it but within a certain radius of where it was found they cut down every tree - both private and public property. Within a larger radius of the kill zone they are monitoring it and have a no firewood movement policy. It's scary what this beetle and the emerald ash borer could do to our forests!
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Default Another update

Asian Longhorned Beetle found in Massachusetts

The Asian Longhorned Beetle (Anoplophora glabripennis) has been positively
    identified in an infestation in the Greendale section (northeast sector) of
    Worcester, MA. Personnel from the USDA PPQ and Massachusetts Department of
    Agricultural Resources (MDAR) inspected the site on Saturday August 2, 2008 and
    discovered the infestation. The inspection was prompted by the keen
    observations and persistence of a local resident who suspected the presence of
    this exotic invader.

Positive verification occurred on Tuesday (8/5/08) from the authority at the
    USDA Systematic Entomology Laboratory in Beltsville, MD. The USDA APHIS and
    Forest Service, MDCR and MDAR have been meeting frequently with Worcester City
    officials to formulate the plan for the management and eradication of this pest
    population. A press conference was held in Worcester late Wednesday (8/6/08) to
    announce the find. As result of the detection, portions of Worcester and
    portions of the towns of Shrewsbury, Boylston, West Boylston, and Holden are
    now a regulated area for the movement of woody plant material. A Federal Order
    will be issued soon that parallels the state regulated area. As part of the
    process of eradicating the ALB from Worcester, the movement of woody debris,
    lumber, firewood, and nursery stock that could host ALB infestations will need
    to be contained. This will keep the beetle from moving via human transport.
    Companies that work with host material will be contacted by officials.

Only cursory surveys have been conducted thus far and the exact area regulated
    would change if more infested trees are found. Organized and thorough survey
    work will begin soon. The estimation, right now at least, for how long this
    beetle may have been active at this location is thought to be 5 years given its
    range and visible damage. Affected trees will be cut down and either chipped
    or burned in the regulated area. This will not begin until after the first
    hard frost kills any remaining adult beetles. To take trees down before the
    hard frost risks spreading the infestation. This is a sound practice, as adult
    beetles tend to stay on the same tree unless that tree is severely infested.
    Once the exact details of the federal quarantine are published a link will
    appear at this web site (www.umassgreeninfo.org). UMass Extension will remain
    on the forefront for the dissemination of information as it becomes available.
    MDAR will continue to respond to any reports of suspected new findings and the
    City of Worcester has set up a ‘Hotline FAQ’ , see below:

Resources for Asian Longhorned Beetle Information in Massachusetts
    o Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR)
    Report ALB sightings at:
    www.massnrc.org/pests/albreport.aspx
    or call 617–626–1779 (Pest Alert Hotline)

o City of Worcester: Office of the City Manager
    http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/cmo/beetles.htm
    508–929–1300

o UMass Extension
    www.umassgreeninfo.org

Ellen Weeks
    UMass Extension Landscape/Nursery/Urban Forestry Program
    French Hall
    230 Stockbridge Rd.
    Amherst, MA 01003
    Tel. (413) 545-2685
    Fax. (413) 577-1620
    www.UMassGreenInfo.org
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Mass Maple has info cards that we pass out to our members for distribution, we also put them with every jug we sell over the counter. if you would like some please contact Tom Mccrumm at info@massmaple.org and ask him for a pile of them

below is what the info looks like
    http://www.desjardinsmaple.com/asian...orn_beetle.htm
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Quote Originally Posted by mapleman3 View Post
    Tom and I have been discussing this since it first was detected, right now it's still the first stages of an investigation. I may try to go and look at the trees maybe with a few other Board members. We will keep everyone notified of the progress. But everyone really should be vigilant and start closely monitoring their trees. early detection is the key.
    I heard an update story on my local NPR station on the drive into work today. I didn't hear much about how serious they think the threat is. Considering that it's been more than a month since the news broke, it just feels like very little real action has been taken.

Basically, this has me very worried. There's one way to control the beetle, right? Cut down infected trees. So, the ALH has the ability to be devastating to two industries: lumber, and maple sugaring. Do those two groups have a powerful enough voice to make everyone else take this as seriously as we are? I want to be optimistic, but I don't think so.

For example: Are there real consequences for those caught breaking the quarantine? Fines? Or worse? And is the general public in the area of the current infestation even aware of those consequences? Or how serious the threat is? I'm willing to bet no, because it doesn't even remotely affect them. The worst it may ever affect them is the state cuts down an infected tree in their yard and they complain about the aesthetic loss. For maple producers it's a loss of years of future income, and in investments already made.

I'd been debating whether or not to go all in this year with an investment of a couple grand on an evaporator that I could be happy with for at least the next 10 years. Then I hear that news piece this morning and wonder what the chances are that I'll even have maples to tap in 10 years.

Pat, your points are spot on !! this is why the word has to go out!
    As we speak(or type) I am making a poster board with info on the beetle for the Big E
    The DCR I am pretty sure has info sheets they are passing out there too. I have not talked with them yet though, I will soon.

I know the City of Worcester as well as surrounding communities are keeping close eye on the quarentined area. what happens if someone breaks that?? i don't know.. but I will find out for you.

I wouldn't give up hope on the Maple industry just yet. fortunately it seems that the spread is somewhat slow enough in an area that they may be able to "catch up"? the beetle stays with it's host tree as long as possible unless disturbed for some reason, they don't fly as well as other beetles, thats the reason for waiting for the killing frost though, so the chance of them flying away to another area doesn't happen. cut the tree when they (beetles) are dead and the eggs/larvae are in the infested tree to be destroyed.

We have so much more to learn about this pest, Hopefully what will happen just like with so many new species are that some other insect/animal or bacterial parasite will see this bug as it's next meal and like it... then the natural chain of events will happen... predator kills of prey!!! One can only hope for that. And how long will nature take to figure it out???

GET THE WORD OUT Mass maple has over 20,000 cards for passing out with your next sale or have a stack in your sugarhouse to pass out....

Email info@massmaple.org and ask for a pile of them!!!
    Belchertown MA.

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast