+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rule of 86: Where does the 86 come from?

bob_day Guest

Default Rule of 86: Where does the 86 come from?

I've surfed all over the Internet to try to find out where the 86 in the "Rule of 86" comes from. Jones' formula seems to be ever quoted but never derived or explained, other than how to apply it. A curious mind wants to know! Does anyone here know how Jones came up with the 86?

-- Bob Day

Bob,

If you have the latest edition of "The Bible", page 141 explains it.

Hope this helps.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

I't did not make any sence to me also. I would think that if maple syrup is 66%-67% sugar (I think) that would be the number you would use to figure how much sap to make a gallon of syrup. If you took something that is 66% sugar and divided 86 by it you get 1.3, so it would take 1.3 gallons of syrup to make a gollan of syrup? I'm lost!!!
    Matt

2x6 Phaneuf raised flue pans
    homemade oil burning arch & hood
    homemade RO,auto draw-off, releaser,auto-canning valve, filter press, ext.....
    850 taps

bob_day Guest

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of "The Bible", and the libraries near my area don't either. Could someone who has it possibly post the details of how the 86 is arrived at?

Here's a copy I think first edition on ebay. The starting price might be a little high though. Check around, you can get a second edition for close to the same money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NORTH-AMERICAN-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Jim
    12 x 16 Sugarhouse, 12 x 16 Woodshed
    2 x 8 “The Mutt” Evaporator with Marcland Drawoff
    Leader oil fired arch, Dallaire raised flue, Smoky Lake syrup pan and hoods with pre-heater
    New Leader Clear Filter Press/Air Diaphragm Pump
    5” Hand Pump Filter Press from Daryl-One of the first three! On loan to a friend.
    Deer Run 250 gal/hr RO
    A Very Understanding Wife
    "At any time during the day you're only 10 seconds from disaster!"

It's an imperical relationship that is a valid approximation of gallons of sap vs syrup for sap % within a certain range. It is not a formula but is a "rule of thumb".
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

Bob, sorry I didn't just type this out earlier. I bought the bible directly from Ohio State. It is a wounderful book that answer's many questions.

The rule of 86 is outdated. It came about when the standard brix of syrup was 65.5 brix. It is calculated by dividing the weight of sugar in a gallon of 65.5 brix syrup (7.2115 pounds) by the weight of sugar in a gallon of 1 percent sap (0.0836 pounds) The answer is 86.26 gallons of 1% sap needed.

Sorry, I don't know how many pounds of sugar are in a gallon of 66.7 brix syrup.

Happy sugar'n
    Last edited by Gary R; 07-22-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: content
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

bob_day Guest

Gary, thanks much for your replies. I bought a quart (16 servings) of grade A dark amber maple syrup at a local supermarket the other day, and did some calculations: The syrup + container weighed 1364 grams; the container alone weighed 91g. So the syrup itself weighed 1273g, which means that a gallon of syrup would weigh 11.226 lbs. The Nutrition Facts label gave 53g as the sugar content per 1273/16 = 79.5625g serving. From those figures, the brix value is 53/79.5625 = 66.6 brix, and the weight of sugar in a gallon would be (4 x 16 x 53)/453.59 = 7.4781 lbs. Dividing 7.4781 by your figure of 0.0836 for the weight of sugar in a gallon of one percent sap gives 89.45.

Perhaps the rule should now be the "Rule of 89" !
    Last edited by bob_day; 07-23-2008 at 07:19 AM.

bob_day Guest

I think I've figured it out. The problem is this: We want to know how much we have to boil down sap that contains P percent sugar in order to get standard maple syrup. Equivalently and a little more precisely, how many gallons, Gw, of water do we have to add to one gallon of standard maple syrup to make "sap" that contains P percent sugar?

To begin with, we need some numbers:

From my previous post, a gallon of standard grade A dark amber maple syrup weighs about 11.226 lbs and contains about 7.4781 lbs of sugar.

Also, one gallon of water at 60 degrees F weighs 8.337 lbs.

We want P percent of the total weight of liquid (the sap) we get by adding Gw gallons of water to one gallon of standard syrup to be 7.4781 (the weight of the sugar). So we set:

7.4781 = (P/100) * (11.226 + 8.337Gw)

Solving, we get Gw = 89.70/P - 1.347

Since we're adding the water to one gallon of syrup, the number of gallons of sap, Gsap, we have is Gsap = 89.70/P - 0.347

An easy to remember approximation would be Gsap = 90/P, that is, the number of gallons of sap that contains P percent sugar we have to boil down to produce one gallon of standard maple syrup is about 90/P.
    Last edited by bob_day; 07-23-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
    Sorry, I don't know how many pounds of sugar are in a gallon of 66.7 brix syrup.

Happy sugar'n
    1 USG = 11.33 lbs

I generally get around 8lbs of granulated sugar from a gallon of syrup.
    4,600 Taps on vacuum
    9,400 gallons storage
    3 tower CDL RO
    3.5'x14' Lapierre Force 5
    Twitter & Instagram: @ennismaple
    www.ennismaple.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast