+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Removing "Buddy"

Jim Powell Guest

Default Removing "Buddy"

This year, instead of throwing out three gallons of buddy syrup from last year, (I wanted the glass jugs), I decided to filter it through a carbon filter that was food grade and rated for use up to 180°F. I filtered it through once, and it tasted MUCH better, so for good measure I filtered it twice more. There was none of the “ziiiiizzzt” as Royalmaple so eloquently described. I wanted to try to use the same cartridge on the sap, to see if it would catch it there first. I did several runs that were NOT buddy yet. The carbon filter did not reduce the sugar content, and the final syrup tasted really good. However I had to shut down on the 16th and that was before my trees went buddy.

I have searched here for carbon filtering, but can’t find anything for fixing buddy sap/syrup. As a chemist, I am familiar with the use of carbon filtering for cleaning up reaction side products, as a homeowner on a well, I use it to clean up the rotten egg smell and as an enjoyer of Jack Daniels, I appreciate what it does for that fine product.

This is the carbon filter I used:

http://www.pentekfiltration.com/pdfs...P%20Series.pdf

So, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Let me say again thanks to all of you for the valuable advice you give here to us rank amateurs.

Jim, are you saying that these filters could remove the unwanted taste in the sap, like they do to get iron and magnisum out of drinking water? You could be on to something here if it works.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

Running dark syrup thru a filter press with a little extra DE will definitely help lighten up the syrup.
    Brandon

CDL dealer for All of West Virginia & Virginia
    3x10 CDL Deluxe oil fired
    Kubota M7040 4x4 Tractor w/ 1153 Loader hauling sap
    2,400+ taps on 3/16 CDL natural vacuum on 9 properties
    24x56 sugarhouse
    CDL 1,000 2 post RO

Jim,
    Thanks for the suggestion. Can you describe the filtration system you used? What type of pump and how much pressure? If not thats OK. More curious than anything, I probably will not filter any syrup. But I did make some nice light syrup last year that had a woody metabolic flavor. and it went to bulk. If the flavor could be improved I could have used it.

As you say would be nice to filter buddy sap in to good sap!

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Jim Powell Guest

Sugarmaker,
    The filter set up is described in the "homemade equipment" group, under filter contraption. If you click on the flickr link there or in my profile, you can see several photos of the filter set up. While I built this for filtering small batches of syrup (2 - 4 gal) I tested it with the buddy syrup from last year and the carbon filter instead of the stainless steel filter. The pressure is regulated at 10 - 15 psi.

Tapme,
    Yes, the concept is that if I could filter it out of buddy syrup, maybe it would be easier to filter it out of the sap. Unfortunately, I had to shut down just before things got buddy here, because of an upcoming trip. I did learn that the carbon filter did not bind out the sugar in the sap. I carbon filtered the sap in my last three batches of syrup. They tasted just as good as the plain 25micron filtered sap.

I did a little search before posting this and found this article from last year that says that buddy flavors come from amino acids:

http://jchemed.chem.wisc.edu/HS/Jour...SSub/p1647.pdf

If that is the case, I don’t think it would be too hard to remove them and the carbon might actually do it. If not, there could be another approach, I’ll have to check out.

Are there any maple researchers that are members here and could comment on the contents of buddy sap?

JCP

As a verified hater of buddy tasting syrup, I am exited about your project, Jim. It could increase the season a week or more. I had plenty of buddy sap that was dumped on the ground. To bad you had to leave town.
    John
    2x8 Smokylake drop flue with AOF/ AUF
    180 taps on sacks
    75 on 3/16 tubing with shurflo
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota

Jim, if this works out then just imagine , everyone could extend there season and sell more great tasting maple syrup. Could add 2 weeks to a season and in my case another 10 gallons of syrup. That equals more money to add more to make more etc.
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

lpakiz Guest

Default Pentek filter equipment

Jim
    I enlarged the articles enough to get the address and phone number of those folks in Sheboygan, WI.
    Do you know if the Pentek people will sell direct to consumers such as us?
    THANKS
    Larry

Jim Powell Guest

Larry,

I pretty sure they do NOT sell direct. I didn't have any trouble finding a local dealer.

www.waterfilters.net is in the twin cities.

Also, jrthe3 in PA told me there are SS filter housings on ebay for even less than Pentek's.

I just did another google search on Pentek, and found these guys,

www.filtersfast.com

they have $1.99 shipping on orders over $50. What is is you were looking for?

JCP

lpakiz Guest

Default Pentek equipment

Jim,
    I was going to price the SS housing and a SS filter (5 microns?) and the carbon filter too.
    The rest of the plumbing and equipment I can scrounge up around here.
    Do you feel the air from the compressor is clean enough to use to push out the syrup?
    Larry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast