+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to clean cone filters

Default How to clean cone filters

Using synthetic cone filters as the final filter this year for the first time instead of flats. What is the preferred method to wash these out? I assume just turn the cone inside out and spray the sludge off.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

No. Take the hottest water that you can find and turn them inside out and fill them with hot water and sort of back flush them. Do the several times and keep changing the water.

Are you using any paper pre filters? I start with at least 12 shoved down inside the synthetic.
    Maple syrup makers never die, they just evaporate.

Kubota M-5040,Kubota B-2650,Kubota XRT 900, Sugarhouse is now a guest cottage.

Yes, Fred, I have a bunch of prefilters that I will layer in the cone. Thanks for the quick response.

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I use one pre-filter in the cone. When the filter stops flowing, I pull the pre-filter up and tip it to the side to let any remaining syrup through, then rinse off and add a new one.

When the cone stops flowing, I tip anything left in it back into the pan and dip the entire filter in the boiling sap to get the sweet out, hose it off, then collect them up. When I have 3 or 4 ready, I run them through the washing machine on the hot cycle and hang to dry. I think I have 6 filters total.

+ Reply to Thread