+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Troy, NH

Default Troy, NH

Got about 150 of about 230 in so far.

Very time consuming put up tubing on my own . I learned alot from the little tubing I did last year. This year I will have about quadrupled the number of taps I have on tubing to about 200. This is going to decrease my collection time greatly.

I need to remove the tubing after the season so I am thinking of ways to simply put it back up in the same spot next year.

Not much of a run yet!

Gathered about 175 of %2.5 today in the dark and in the rain!! Me and my helper 4.5 YO Noah. What FUN gotta love it.

One of my 55 GAL drums the has about 69 taps going into it was over flowing big time. I need to get some bigger tanks or somthing.

What do you use as a fiqure for how many gal capicity per tap on 5/16 tubing?

Now I am going to sweeten the pan with the first sap boil of the year!!

Let the games begain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i read somewhere 2 gals. per tap

RICH

Default NH Snow

Man, I got 200 of 250 in and it is hard work this year. Four barrels had to be set below snow level. Anymore than 25 taps per barrel and you've got to watch it. I used to run all 5/16ths but this year started using 1/2 inch with 8 taps per lateral. Runs a lot better, easier to clean, easier to take down and store. PM where you are in Troy, I'm in Swanzey all the time.

Bruce
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

Made about 3 gal of some great tasting med.

I have had a few close calls already this year. Tonight I had to flood the syrup pan with about 2 gal of cold sap. One min it was at 212 then the next it was at 219 and rising fast to about 240. Flooding from the flue pan was not fast enough so I opted for the flood bucket. Man its amazing how fast things change in the pan.

Either my timekeeping was fuzzy last year or somthing is different because at the end of last year I was getting 27 -30 gal/hr and with what little time keeping I have done this year it seems to be in the 18 -22 gal/hour range. I have about 300 gal of sap to boil this weekend so I will have to keep time and see what happens.

Default Deformer

Be sure and use a defoamer, you'll increase your evaporation rate and decrease the chances of scorching! Bruce
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I have my 5/16 system set at 2 gallons per tap. I have 40 gal containers and the most taps on one is 24-25. Most have 16-20, seems about right.

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Not much running lately. Should start to quicken up tommorow.

Bottled some great dark last night.

Gathered about 210 of %2.75 last night. Today I hope to get some more taps out get things cleaned up and boil tonight. Should run good today.

Anybody figure out your retail pricing for this year? I am thinking $5.5/.5Pt, $9.00/PT $17/qt and $24/.5 Gal

Thoughts?

Valley View Sugarhouse Guest

Default pricing

You are in the same ball park as myself, 40/gal 24/.5gal 14/qt thats where I was last year and I don't think the market will take much more..

+ Reply to Thread