+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Photos

sugarnut Guest

i downloaded google earth last year and it has some useful tools. one of them is a ruler that you can use to draw a line between two points and get a measurement. that should be helpful to folks who need to calculate how much mainline they need.

I recently down loaded google earth, the ruler works real well but does it figure in the slope of the land when going from one point to another? The reason I question this is as I was marking trees in a new sugar bush I was trying to figure the acreage. If I have the distance in feet around the bush and divide by 43560 that should give me the acreage. I did that and the answer was 19. something acres. Which equals 175 taps per acre. That only happens in Vermont or Canada not West Virginia.

Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

220, there are 43,560 square feet in an acre, be sure you're dividing square feet by that.
    -Andy
    Andy's Own Maple
    Andy Kinter (4th + generation maple producer)
    Approx 790 taps on vacuum

3x10 nat. gas fired raised flue small bros.
    600 gph Lapierre RO
    Fine collection of used bulk tanks
    Kubota MX5100 sap hauler
    2 hives (that I don't spend enough time on)
    A great family that works together to make syrup!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Andys...27718203945398
    http://photobucket.com/mapleack

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    I recently down loaded google earth, the ruler works real well but does it figure in the slope of the land when going from one point to another? The reason I question this is as I was marking trees in a new sugar bush I was trying to figure the acreage. If I have the distance in feet around the bush and divide by 43560 that should give me the acreage. I did that and the answer was 19. something acres. Which equals 175 taps per acre. That only happens in Vermont or Canada not West Virginia.

Mark 220 Maple
    I have used goggle earth for estimateing pipe line length to. Do not know how it can figure the slope. I know the length is pretty close. How did you come up with 175 taps per acre? I would like to know the math for that.

MC
    5 by 16 Thunderbolt with hoods and preheater
    Springtec 800 RO
    Sihi Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    5000 Taps On Vacuum for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 220 maple View Post
    If I have the distance in feet around the bush and divide by 43560 that should give me the acreage. I did that and the answer was 19. something acres. Which equals 175 taps per acre. That only happens in Vermont or Canada not West Virginia.

Mark 220 Maple
    After reading the first sentence of this quote, I think you divided the perimeter of the parcel of land by 43560 which will give a number meaning nothing.

You take the length and width in feet and multiply and then divide by 43560 to find the acres.
    maybe 50 taps for 2011
    Finally ready to boil when I get enough sap
    I just might be crazy.( make that I know I am)
    Trees all tapped except the ones with 5 feet of snow.
    Enough rabbits to keep Elmer busy..

Okay guys Im bored and it is raining so lets do some math shall we. If he came up with 19 acres by his calculations lets math backwords from there.
    So 19 x 43560 is 827640 which would be distance in feet around the perimeter of the land. So lets assume his land is square so we will divide that by 4 to get one length 206910 now we must get square feet so we x that by itself 42811748100 square feet now lets divide by 43560 wich is the magic number 982822.5 acres. So the good news is 220 maple owns the whole state of west virginia and then some bad news he has about .003 taps per acre
    Last edited by 3rdgen.maple; 07-31-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    2X6 deluxe Phanuef
    Adding 200 more every year
    27 years left of building a Hobby into a retirement time burner.

I don't know about Vermont or NH but if your photos are in mid summer it most likely was infrared remote sensing and then the bandwidths were altered to get a real life color. I have done this with our IR photography in Tioga county, pa. This would explain tree species standing out. That was the purpose. It most likely was taken by the fed govt for agricultural reasons.
    Others have mentioned their mapping services on here. I too can do this for anyone in my general area. I not only can GPS your lines but link each tree or bush with data so you can do analysis of productivity. Its not just lines on a map!
    I can also then generate Google earth files with it so you can view your bush in 3d.....or on a terrain at your home computer.
    I have been in GIS for a few years now and can do a lot with it for you.
    just let me know1

Schwarz; what GIS program are you using down there? We use a combo of Manifold and ArcMap up here. Just curious on what other people are using in the "industry"

I use arcmap 9.3 and also fgis for some forestry related stuff. I've never worked with manifold. I'd be interested to see it. How does it compare with the 900lb gorilla (esri)?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast