+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Photos

I have used Google Earth for a couple years. Used print to map out my mainlines and future expansion. The photos from our area are at least 5 years old and are spring with a hint of snow in spots and no leaves yet. Some one told me there was a place to get the most current photos but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know where?
    Mark
    1700 Taps /1600 on Vac. 3x10 King evaporator
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Mark, map quest has updated there photos and are of summer. All my trees come in at a different green than the others. Hope this helps
    best outdoor syrup made in Maine...... loosing that title as we are moving indoors to a 12x16 sugar shack with a new to us 2x6 .
    Making syrup.

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww248/TapME/

For your information, none of these are "satellite" photos, they are simply taken via plane

Lou, Thanks I just checked and sure enough the mapquest photos are now much more current. Only thing is they are mid summer and with all the leaves some things do not show up as well. Not sure if they are 2007 or 2008?
    Mark
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

Mid summer? that is odd. they typically do flights in early spring/late fall

adk1
    I went back and took a look again. It would have been mid to late August when they were taken at least around our place. I can tell by where our cows are grazing and have grazed and the growth on the hay ground. They were not 2008 photos. Probably 2007. I can see some of the construction projects we worked on in early spring 2007 and they are in the photos for our immediate area. Have to add that after checking further the photo has to be late summer 2006.
    Mark
    Last edited by gmcooper; 01-03-2009 at 08:07 PM.
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

I first checked the satellite photo on Google Maps and that picture was atleast 5 years old or older. I then checked the arial view on Mapquest and my property stands right out because of the logging that I had done 5 years ago.

I cant get the picture to zoom large enough to see if I am looking at my wood elevator or a wood pile in my back field. If it's the wood pile the picture is about 2 years old and was taken in mid to late summer. If it is the elevator it could have been taken late spring or early summer of this year.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

I just wanted to let everyone know of a mapping service I provide using the satellite photos. I have been working in Civil Engineering for 20 years and have a lot of AutoCAD and mapping experience. Using the photos, tax maps and topography I have created some really nice maps for sugarmakers, hunters, etc. I will gladly email a pdf example to anyone. What I have done for my sugarbush is draw the main lines and numbers representing the branch lines (and # of taps) over the photo and it has proved to be a really useful tool! I hang a copy on the wall of the sugarhouse and it definitely attracts a lot of attention. The main concern I would have for a lot of the Maple Trader users is that I'm in VT and have access to photos of the entire state (and some in NY) but am not exactly familar with photos from other states and how to obtain them. I'm sure there is a way.... In VT they are supplied by the State. Also, Google and Map Quest are great to look at on the screen but printing a large scale photo is a whole different issue which is why I made my own. Price varies widely depending on how much detail you want. Feel free to contact me with any questions!
    5600 taps on tubing w/ vacuum, 3.5 x12 Oil Fired with pre-heater, 2 Post RO
    http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/v...owhillmapping/

http://snowhillfarm.com

Snow Hill.... I like the idea of having it in the sugarhouse, when folks want to get an idea of just how much area we all trudge through in deep snow ect. and to see what a sugarbush looks like from above.... cool
    Jim & Charlene Desjardins
    Belchertown MA.

Had a good 13 year run, but circumstances ! and loss of tree use.. we are ending the Maple thing for now... maybe be back in a few years

www.Desjardinsmaple.com

facebook Jim Desjardins

Something interesting I came across today. Maybe everyone else has seen it. While checking directions to a farm in MA I am planning to visit soon I clicked the link they had to Goggle maps. On the left side of the map when enlarged was a figure of a person in yellow. Moused over it and if you click or drag it you get a camera view at street level. You can rotate 360 degrees, zoom in or out and travel each direction on the road. Incredibly cool but kind of scarry as the details were amazing. The closer to the road the greater the detail. But I could see enough to determine what model tractor was setting in the yard. I could see the gooseneck trailer parked inside the pole barn. Work boots on the porch beside the door.
    This feature is not availible on every street but I found many around home not to mention the area in MA. Thankfully for privacy they photos/ video were several years old.
    Mark
    20 head Charolais cattle
    8 head Lowline Angus
    28 Miniature horses
    90 hives honey bees
    JD 4430 tractor

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast