+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Photos

Default Satellite Photos

I was looking at some maps over the web of my local area (google maps) and decided to switch to satellite view. I made an interesting discovery.

The photo of my area was taken in May of last year. As I looked over the area that I tap, I noticed that all the sugar maples were a bright green. Typical for early spring.

What was cool was that I could see all the areas that I had scoped out a few years back from my neighbors 40 acres behind the house. I could pick out the sugar maples (for the most part) from the satellite photo due to the brighter green color of the leaves!

I have done this in the fall by being able to pick out the yellow/orange when driving by a valley or hillside. Cool that I could do it in the spring, with a satellite photo that was timed just right. I took some screen shots to use as a future reference.

FWIW as they say.
    -Brian-
    1st generation sugarmaker
    A wonderful wife, 9 children...
    www.sweetwoodmaple.com

250 Taps on Vacuum for '21
    Welch DuoSeal 1397 w/2HP vacuum pump
    Homemade PVC electric releaser
    D&G 3x10 Drop Flue
    2 x 4 Cherry Burrell flat filter tank
    Apartment Stove fired Phaneuf Canner

Thats cool, I have never looked at them with satellite pictures, They also show up in the winter as the lighter gray colored tree tops up here, down there probably the white oak would be the same so it wouldn't be as accurate.
    Success is not final,failure is not fatal.It is courage to continue that really counts

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

– Thomas Edison

One way to tell the difference between the white oaks and the maples around here in winter is that plastic pipe running to all the maples. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. All kidding aside, that's pretty cool. I'll have to check out our area too.
    2x6 D&G raised flue, 300 plus taps on tubing with a few buckets. Honda 450 foretrax, Polaris sportsman 500, several trailers, tanks, u.v system, gas finishing rig and no government bailout.(Yet)

Two years ago I took a walk in the early spring and the only green in the woods at the time were the sugar maples. They were actually almost yellow and very bright. If I am not mistaken I beleive it was the seeds because it really didnt look like leaves. Absolutley nothing else in the woods had leaves. This wasnt the case last spring I could not find any sugar maples in my area this way last year.
    Jon
    2 1/8 x 8 Leader Inferno Arch W/ steamaway , hood and Marcland auto drawoff
    M6040 Kubota w/ cab and lift
    Arctic Cat Prowler
    http://jwhitjw.spaces.live.com/photo...D0BF1C18E!116/

Default in NH too

hey sweetwood,

remembered this post and pulled up the google earth satellite photo and what do you know, sugar maples are standing out yelllow green just like you said.

Thanks for the heads up.

Dean

This point was going around before I joined. Great idea.

I checked out my woods and the shot is full summer from the looks of it. I did notice that where I have pockets of maples there are spots of bright green. Is this what you're talking about? If so I may have found some more pockets to tap.
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Think you are on it Josh.

Clusters of sugars are much lighter in my photo, and you are only a little ways away, so it is likely photos were taken at the same time.

Dean

Just checked mine and I can see 2 pipe tents on my property that were taken down 5 years ago in the picture. Looks to be mid summer when everything was dark green.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

i cant see much of my bush, i know where it is just because i know the woods well but you can tell where it is. its too leafy
    Last edited by dano2840; 12-29-2008 at 07:46 PM.
    Dan O'Shaughnessy

2007 jd5203
    Husqvarna 61, (2)Husqvarna 272XP, 23 and finally getting back into it after 2 long years away

DanO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast