+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Leader evaporator for sale

I would think that the statements her a right on the 3 x 12 should be in the 100 + GPH and the taps could range from maybe 150 at the very low end to 700 near the upper end. So at $600 it could be a good deal or it might need a very lot of restoration work.

Yes I would say the English tin pans would have lead solder.

Our 3 x 10 boils at about 80-90 GPH and I like to have severl hundred gallons of sap ready when I light the fire. We have 400 taps and it fits the rig about right. A very large run avg 2 gal per tap = 800 gallons and thats 10 hours of boiling plus clean up time.

Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I have a 3x12 Grimm that was made in 93 and is lead free. It has some enhancements on it and will boil well over 100gph I would not consider lighting a fire with less than 500 gal of sap. startup and shut down would take almost 200 of the 5 hundred. I had a 30"x10 English tin and it leak like sieve and I could never get it to stop completely. A 3x12 rig is well worth 600. At least you have a good start with the arch. And who knows you may get a good deal on some used stainless pans

Peacemaker - I don't know, but I'll let you know after my first boil I know it only took about 50 gallons to fill my 30x8, and I'd start a boil if I had 200 gallons of sap.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Back when English Tin pans were made there was no such thing as lead free solder in common use. Might possibly be low lead, might not. You can often find used pans for sale, syrup pans are much easier to find than flue pans.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

eye8astonie Guest

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'm going to pass on this deal for now... it sounds like it is way too big for any number of taps that I'm likely to have anytime soon, and I have enough going on with getting ready to move and keep up with the sap I'm getting.

By the way, what's a good boiling rate for a 2x3 flat pan? Seems like we're getting about 9 or 10 gallons per hour on a roughly made barrel arch.

If anyone wants the phone # for the Leader, let me know and I'll look it up.

Thanks,
    Duane

our Leader half pint ranks 5 GPH but when we put the blower on it we cranked that up to nearly double that.

The Half Pint sits a small pre-heat pan on top of the flat pan, which does warm the sap but not much and it also condenses back into the sap.

Someone on this forum has a Half Pint type unit that has the preheat pan on a bracket at the back. Could be he used a very short extension out the back to make room for the pan before the stack came up vertical. I think this would be a great improvement to what I did. If you could put a couple cheap and simple hand bent pieces of sheet metal around it you could capture a huge amount of heat from the stack ... and not get any condensation back in the pan.

Good luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12