+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Leader evaporator for sale

eye8astonie Guest

Default Used Leader evaporator for sale

I saw a local ad for an old Leader Evaporator, 3 x 12 ft. w/arch, parts, fittings, $600

I called on it and the pan is English tin... are there any drawbacks to this?

Seems like a good deal for that size set-up, but I'm not familiar with English tin.

Any input?

Thanks all.
    Duane

the biggest disadvantage of this unit for you is that with 50 taps you would have to save the sap for several days before you could light the fire

Got more trees ???

the fittings could be worth $600 if they're stainless.
    you could grab it and get a new set of pans made.

well a few things to know and look at one is they have lead in them ... two make sure there not wicked rusty..and they dont leak ...as far as price its good but thoose pans are expensive to replace

eye8astonie Guest

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to tap more trees in the coming years, so for the right deal I'd buy something now to prepare for that.

Peacemaker, just to make sure I understand your post, are you saying that English tin pans do have lead in them? Or is it something to check for?

Thanks,
    Duane

I think I saw that add - and it certainly peaked my interest. I've already made my purchase, but I'm sure interested what a 3x12 for 600 would look like. Go take a look and let us all know.

Regarding english tin, I boiled on a 30"x5.5" english tin flue pan for the past few years and had absolutely no problem. When I got it, it had a few small leaks - but it soldered up nicely and never had another leak. A certain liquid flux and solder were recommended and it did the trick fine. Just make sure to clean the solder spot perfectly before begiing to solder.

Regarding lead - I'm gonna take a wild guess and say 75% of Traders are boilling on lead pans, including myself. Unless I was trying to produce organic sap, I'd be leaping on a decent 3x12 for $600.
    Danno
    Just West of Syracuse
    3 x 10 Lightning
    Sihi Vacuum
    Sap Bros RO
    600 taps and buying sap

Default 3x12 set up

I don't think Leader went to lead free solder until 1994 or 1995. But I have seen some well cared for tin pans that were over 20 years old and still shined! Definitely sounds like it would be worth looking into. A nice 3x12 arch would be worth all of $600. I'm curious to hear about it. Mark

yes from leader them selves the old english tin has it ... and like others said there are some very nicely taken care of tins but wouldnt believe there selling for 600

I wish someone with appropriate knowledge would chime in here. My limited knowledge tells me a unit this size is suitable for 300 to 600 taps. You're better off with an evaporator too small than too big. If it's too big you can never get a flow going and end up with a huge tank of half finished syrup that starts to run dry on the top of the flues and risking a scorch.

You said you were thinking of a few more taps. Better preface that with
    "hundred" as in a few hundred more taps than your present 50.

This doesn't mean it won't be a good buy. I hope you get better advice here than mine, but I think the numbers are pretty close.

nope your right brent a 3x12 will boil at about 95 to 100 gals a hour ... say with his 50 taps it would take him several days just to have enough to fire up let alone make syrup...i know a fella in shaftsbury he has a 5x12 with a steam away he cant even start to boil until he has over 500 gals of sap...

dano whats it take just to fill your pans u have a 3x10 correct

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast