+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Customs duty

Hybrid View

Default Customs duty

Is there a fee at the border for supplies or equipment purchased from Canada at a dealer open house?

That would be a question to ask the dealer.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I have brought pans across the border and no problem as long you are a farm or agriculture and there were no tariff. You need the bill of sale and declare the money if you have 10,000 dollars or more. I didn't know about the 10,000 dollar part I had cash in 6 pockets when I went up and not much when I came back!
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

I guess I was lucky. Back at Labor day weekend in 2012 I drove up into Canada to pick up my new 3x8 evaporator. I had the arch, already, only bought the new pans, a hood stack, a draw off tank and it barely fit in my long bed F250. On the way back, the lines were extremely long. When I got to the booth the agent asked if I had anything to claim. I said I had the evaporator pans, hood, stack and a tank. He asked if I had an Agent, I said I was unaware one was needed. I asked what I had to do. He said he didn't know, it was his first day on the job. Shortly later, another border agen crossed past (i suspect he was on break) and the agent on his first day called the other agen to help. That agent, after about a minute of hemming and hawing, asked my\e if I wanted to pay the fee. Before I answered, he said, Go on, have a nice day and I crossed over the border duty free. I later learned the fee and agent to legally get it across the border would have cost me between $300 and $400 in agent fees and duties.
    Luck was on my side.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I never learned if that amount was correct or not.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have crossed with pan and or canners ect to Thor at least 5 times. They never charged me because it was for farming. They all made it easy to do. I crossed in a small town so ithink they were glad to see some one.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have crossed with pan and or canners ect to Thor at least 5 times. They never charged me because it was for farming. They all made it easy to do. I crossed in a small town so ithink they were glad to see some one.
    That might be because you are crossing at a minor crossing. My evaporator and extra equipment was from Thor, but I was crossing west of Lake Champlain on the main north south route there, I forget the route number, they just call it the Northway. I don't know if it would of made a difference if it was declared for farming. we never got to tht point.
    In Fact Brian, I ordered from Thor on your suggestion, the workmanship was perfect, high quality and almost 45% lower cost than Leader who had priced it out, back in spring of 2012.

Yes the amount is correct 10,000, they can seize car/truck for not declaring the money. I don't know if or what you get back after they do the checking to make sure it is not drug related. I learned the money thing on discover channel on a show called Contraband.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

Bought my evaporator from Thor a few years ago. Can't recall the $ limit before duties. What I did is call them ahead of time and have them split the invoice in two. Brought a buddy up and he claimed half and I claimed half. Zero isues. Ddlid the same with a hood and preheated thos past fall.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

When I went to Leader with the plans for the new flue pan that Thad came up with they refused to build it and said it would not work and so Thad and I went to Thor and Arnold Raymond said we will build what ever you want. The flue pan has a cross over pipe in the front that allows me to switch the direction of the flue pan on to a revolution style pan. This means that I always draw off on the same side every time and can control the direction of the flue pan and the front pan by throwing valves. William Warden has Thads same style pans from Thor and the same style arch as mine. I went up to Canada with William and got his pans and he did not pay the tarrif because it was for farm also. Thad is going to Thor to have his pan slyle built for him.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm

+ Reply to Thread