+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do More Vigorous Trees Dry Up Faster?

Default Do More Vigorous Trees Dry Up Faster?

A thought occurred to me this year.
    I had 2 of 28 taps dry up before my season was done.
    Both were south facing, which makes sense, but they were also on what appear to be especially healthy trees.
    At first this surprised me.
    But then I realized, well, the taps dry up because the tree healed.
    It does make sense that a healthy tree would heal faster.
    So, I thought I'd ask it here:

Does a more vigorous tree dry up its taps sooner?
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

There is no evidence for this one way or the other.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    There is no evidence for this one way or the other.
    I don't see much correlation, maybe a little correlation in the other direction (higher producing trees also lasting longer). It would be easy to make an argument why this could be the case - if more sap is flushing out the wound, slowing microbial growth. That said, I think sun exposure at the tap has way more correlation.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Guess I won't try to damage any trees then to slow them down!
    Obviously I wouldn't do this anyway, but I think subliminally this question came to me in part because a retired apple farmer helping us strategically prune a couple of apple trees told us that apple trees with too much vigor could reduce yield and he actually used a machine to partly damage the roots to slow down some overly vigorous apple trees.
    I'm pretty sure this activity will not catch on in the maple world anytime soon!
    But it was the first time I had heard of vigor being a potential bad thing in a tree.
    (Except maybe in Autumn Blaze maples splitting bark from growing so fast)
    Thanks for the feedback on my question!
    Andy

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

It is an interesting question, but unfortunately there are tons of interesting questions in maple and not enough time to look into them all.

My initial reaction is that there probably isn't a strong relationship. Cessation of sap flow is not really related to spring radial (stem) growth, but is more impacted by taphole drying, which is itself, not really drying, but rather a natural wound response of the tree tissues to microbes within the taphole. So perhaps a vigorous tree would have a more vigorous wound response, but I doubt that the variation in wound response is huge unless trees are severely stressed (dying) for some other reason. Even a large, overmature, senescent tree or a young heavily suppressed understory sapling will stop flowing sap after a fairly short while...and neither of those would be considered "vigorous."

Then again...there isn't a great way to judge "vigor" in trees other than growth or foliar/branch condition. Our assessment tools are fairly limited in that regard.

I agree that solar exposure is probably more related to sap flow cessation, probably due to warming of the southern sides of trees increasing microbial growth.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Wait, wait, wait,
    Are you saying everyone is not measuring every tree every year and comparing the output of every individual tap???
    (Kidding. I mean I'm sort of doing that. I tap 17 trees)
    Anyway, I must admit it is hard to think of a practical application of this knowledge (the definitive answer to my question) if we had it.
    But a fun little discussion.
    All that said, I still assured the owners of the dried up trees that I think its a sign of great health. A lie told guilt-free. (They are both very healthy trees though as best I can tell... although one has its best years behind it but there are a lot of years)

Oh, I forgot to mention that thanks to this thread I now also know of the word "senescent", and thanks to google, I know what it means!
    That's pretty cool!

Bucket trees supply more feedback about sap,production than tubing trees, so you will have to lead the rest of us on this. Like many things maple, I’m sure it’s complicated…
    12x24 sugarhouse 2x4 drop flue
    2020. 211 taps on 3/16”gravity with flojet g80 air driven pumps
    2021. 250 taps 4 flojet g80
    2022 275 taps on 3/16 gravity to two g80 vacuum stations
    2023. 320 taps 5 g80 pumps
    2024. Refurbed homemade 2 post 4040 All stainless sap storage and handling

+ Reply to Thread