+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Checking check valve spouts

Default Checking check valve spouts

I had 95 taps on 4 lines this year and when I pulled them at the end of the season I had 4 or 5 that had a little wood chips stuck in them them that held the check valve open, causing lots of sap to squirt out everywhere upon pulling them. At various times throughout the season when fiddling with the manifold or doing other various maintenance near the pump, sap would rapidly shoot backwards in lines.

Would this still happen if none of the CVs were clogged?

Is it a best practice to pull all CVs a day or two into the season just to check for stuck wood chips? Because I did my best to tap and then NOT touch them at all unless there was an obvious leak, thinking that any unnecessary tampering will hurt yield.

Curious to hear tips and tricks.
    Mark

2024 95 taps, 4040 RO build. 46 gallons syrup
    2023 51 taps on 5/16" Shurflo vacuum system; Homemade oil tank evap, Smokey Lake 2x4' Divided pan; 3x150GPD RO. 48.125 gallons syrup
    2016-2022 12 taps into buckets; 3 steam pans over cinder block arch, ~3.75gal syrup

SE Wisconsin
    43.3N

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

A failure of 4-5 spouts on 95 taps is about a 4-5% failure rate. That is not at all bad on a mechanical system, especially one that has been in place for multiple weeks. Regardless, you will see sap flowing back up the lines whenever you introduce air or lose vacuum. That doesn't necessarily mean that the CVs have failed. The air in the lines (between the sap slugs) is fairly elastic, so when there is vacuum the air gets "stretched out". Once your vacuum drops, the air will snap back, carrying liquid with it.

No, it is not good practice to pull spouts after they've been put in. You risk damaging the taphole and causing a leak. Better off just accepting a small failure rate in the system, but try to avoid it by using a good sharp tapping bit to reduce wood chips in the first place.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

While Dr Tim might tell me this is a poor practice, when I drill a tap hole, I break off a small stick from anything close by and clear the taphole, never blow in it to clear it out. I think doing that minimises the chance you will have debris in the hole to clog the CV. I used a new twig on every hole, there seems to most always be a dead twing nearby to break off to clean the hole. I also prefer tapping when the sap is flowing, to help push the debris out too, however when I had my most taps I was trying to be finished tapping before my 3 college students had to return to school, so the sap was often not flowing. As I got to have fewer taps, i did tend to tap during a warmer day and the sap was often flowing, sap flow will help push that debris out. I used CV spouts or CV adapters every season after the first year they were available, I don't think I ever had a 4%+ plugging issue, maybe a 1% max was about it.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I do the same as Dave - though I'll reuse the twig until I lose it. Like he said, a good flow pushes anything in there out at least to the edge of the hole. The holes on the frozen sides of the tree need some sweeping out more often. I'll still sometimes see some bits work their way into to the tap and down the line on that first day. Try adding a valve just before your manifold so when you work on the pump you don't lose vac or sap.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

+ Reply to Thread