+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Ideas

Default Looking for Ideas

This is our first year sugaring. I started out with a simple pan with a draw off. Firing with a propane burner. We collected about 150 gallons of sap from ten trees in buckets. all went well but I messed up a gallon trying to filter it to clear no sediment. It's good but cloudy. Live and learn. Here's the reason in doing this in the first place. I work at a small private high school for girls here in the Berkshires. Miss Hall's School. As is the case with most folks who work at a place like this you start off in one position and find that there are other positions you fit into as well. I started as the plumber. Our student body comes from 24 different countries. One of my interests is being outside, another is explaining our relationship with the outside and where things like our food comes from. We are on about 80 acres. One thing I've noticed especially during and since covid is that these kids are really interested in exploring the outside world. Sure they take their phones LOL but they're outside asking questions and taking pictures.
    All this to say I started this mini operation with another like minded colleague because the kids are interested and we end up with a product that might sustain itself and the operation. To that end I'd like to see other small operations out there in my area. Folks tapping 100 or less trees firing with wood. I'd like to get shack ideas and evaporator ideas etc. I'd would like to take pictures and present this to the leadership of MHS and get support for a proper little set up we could operate over our spring break.
    Message me if you're in the Berkshires and you'd be willing to give me the nickel tour.
    I'll try and post images of ourhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbQ...usp=drive_link janky set up.
    Matthewhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/10cL...usp=drive_link

Quote Originally Posted by Grallert View Post
    This is our first year sugaring. I started out with a simple pan with a draw off. Firing with a propane burner. We collected about 150 gallons of sap from ten trees in buckets. all went well but I messed up a gallon trying to filter it to clear no sediment. It's good but cloudy. Live and learn. Here's the reason in doing this in the first place. I work at a small private high school for girls here in the Berkshires. Miss Hall's School. As is the case with most folks who work at a place like this you start off in one position and find that there are other positions you fit into as well. I started as the plumber. Our student body comes from 24 different countries. One of my interests is being outside, another is explaining our relationship with the outside and where things like our food comes from. We are on about 80 acres. One thing I've noticed especially during and since covid is that these kids are really interested in exploring the outside world. Sure they take their phones LOL but they're outside asking questions and taking pictures.
    All this to say I started this mini operation with another like minded colleague because the kids are interested and we end up with a product that might sustain itself and the operation. To that end I'd like to see other small operations out there in my area. Folks tapping 100 or less trees firing with wood. I'd like to get shack ideas and evaporator ideas etc. I'd would like to take pictures and present this to the leadership of MHS and get support for a proper little set up we could operate over our spring break.
    Message me if you're in the Berkshires and you'd be willing to give me the nickel tour.
    I'll try and post images of ourhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1vbQ...usp=drive_link janky set up.
    Matthewhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/10cL...usp=drive_link
    Your links to your pictures don’t work because it comes up saying that “you don’t have access”
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I was worried that would happen. I'll try again. I'm unable to share pictures for some reason. Likely my poor relationship with my computer.
    Picture an old stone fireplace in the woods used for cookouts back in the day. Now picture a stainless pan 2x2 where the grill would be with a big round propane burner under that. It's a rig! no shelter but that ok for now.
    Last edited by Grallert; 04-01-2024 at 06:39 AM.

Sounds like a great idea!

Happy to help as I can, but despite my moniker, I'm not actually based in the Berkshires. My sugaring operation is in the Eastern Foothills of the Berkshires - not far at all from you as the crow flies, but a slow drive over the Berkshires on Rt 20. But that's on my family's summer cabin land, and I live a two hour drive away. So a visit would be tricky. All that being said, I'm happy to answer any questions, send you photos of my setup, etc.

Cheers,

Gabe O
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

My only advice is to be careful. Sugarin' is a gateway hobby. Sure, it seems safe enough. 15 pails and a little set up. What't the harm. All your friends are doing it right? Plus, its for the kids. Then it goes to 30 pails, 40, 100 in the blink of an eye. Of course everyone loves maple syrup so you don't have a problem yet. Now with over 150 taps, you NEED a bigger evaporator. Of course a shack would be handy too. An holy cow, this maple syrup takes a lot of wood and propane, so the obvious answer is to get a small RO, strictly to save money. Now that you've spent a bit of money for some new gear, it only makes sense to tap some more trees to try to down average the cost of your investment. What's the harm? It's for the kids right? Still just for the kids??? The kids have an idea. Maybe you can sell some of your syrup to earn money for the upcoming class trip. Now that seems like a great idea, so away you go to get proper bottles and you NEED custom labels to make your product unique. That's easy. Just tap another 100 trees and all that is paid for. What's the harm?
    Just be careful. It starts with 15 pails and good intentions. Becomes full maple addiction in the blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Sounds like a great idea!

Happy to help as I can, but despite my moniker, I'm not actually based in the Berkshires. My sugaring operation is in the Eastern Foothills of the Berkshires - not far at all from you as the crow flies, but a slow drive over the Berkshires on Rt 20. But that's on my family's summer cabin land, and I live a two hour drive away. So a visit would be tricky. All that being said, I'm happy to answer any questions, send you photos of my setup, etc.

Cheers,

Gabe O
    Thank you for the reply! I know Chester. I actually live in Cummington. I will likely take you up on you offer to answer questions. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Walls View Post
    My only advice is to be careful. Sugarin' is a gateway hobby. Sure, it seems safe enough. 15 pails and a little set up. What't the harm. All your friends are doing it right? Plus, its for the kids. Then it goes to 30 pails, 40, 100 in the blink of an eye. Of course everyone loves maple syrup so you don't have a problem yet. Now with over 150 taps, you NEED a bigger evaporator. Of course a shack would be handy too. An holy cow, this maple syrup takes a lot of wood and propane, so the obvious answer is to get a small RO, strictly to save money. Now that you've spent a bit of money for some new gear, it only makes sense to tap some more trees to try to down average the cost of your investment. What's the harm? It's for the kids right? Still just for the kids??? The kids have an idea. Maybe you can sell some of your syrup to earn money for the upcoming class trip. Now that seems like a great idea, so away you go to get proper bottles and you NEED custom labels to make your product unique. That's easy. Just tap another 100 trees and all that is paid for. What's the harm?
    Just be careful. It starts with 15 pails and good intentions. Becomes full maple addiction in the blink of an eye.
    A mush appreciated heads up. As to the creeping growth, I'll Let the next generation figure that out. I'll explain to them that it's "all about the kids" I have one of our talented student artists designing a label for the fancy bottles the advancement department got for me. Like boiling getting new ideas through is often a slow process.

I suggest you look at the website for your states's maple producers association. On there they should have the names of all producers who are members of the association. Also, contact the director or office worker in their main office and explain what you just told us. maybe they can help.
    One problem might end up being that you are looking for producers who have 100 taps or less and boil using wood. I fear that those producers, and there are plenty, they however may not feel a need to join an association. If that fails, I suggest you go on Facebook, look up "Back Yard Maple Producers" ,on that site you will likely find a lot of smaller producers, also, maybe you can find other forums that are for mostly smaller producers and try to find producers within a resonable distance from you.
    Good luck and happy boiling! You are doing the students a huge favor, especially since they are from so many other countries. Historically only a portion of the U.S. and part of Canada made maple syrup, they were the only ones with the resource and the favorable weather, now a few other places have begun making maple syrup, I recently read that in Japan they now make it using sap from some of their local maples, years ago, I read that china had planted a lot of sugar maples, I never heard if that has started to pan out. Because in general a maple tree is about 40 yrs old when it gets large enough to tap, that artical wasn't quite half that long ago, maybe in another 20-25 years they may also begin maple syrup production.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'll be spending some time this off season checking in with the folks here in the hill towns. There are plenty of small scale operations. Or there used to be.
    The kids here really like to be busy so there is real interest in this activity. Plus some have never seen this or have any idea where syrup come from. They are all for the most part smart curious kids.

Hey Matt....I am a Biology teacher at HVHS in Cheshire. I also teach a timber frame class where we build 10x12 and 12x16 timber frames and then sell them for the price of the wood. I have my own 12x16 (pictured in my avatar) timber frame sugar house in Savoy where I live and boil on a small 2x4 Mason evaporator....about 70 to 90 taps depending on the season.

I am on spring break next Friday and will be around if you want to swing by my place and check out my 12x16 and my evaporator. I am always looking for future customers too for my timber frame class. If you think you'd like a 10x12 or a 12x16 timber frame at MHS maybe we can work something out. You will not find a nicer looking and well-built sugar house at the price point I am selling them at. Better yet, if you work with your administration at Miss Halls maybe they could find the money to hire me for a few weeks or a weekend and I could teach the class right at your school and your girls can build and raise their own frame. You are also welcome to come by HVHS and check out my students at work if you can free yourself up during the day. A lot of options.

Give me a shout.

Blair
    Last edited by bigschuss; 04-03-2024 at 12:13 PM.
    16x24 Timber Frame Sugar House
    Mason 2x4 Evaporator
    90 trees on buckets

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast