+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto Draw

I have the barometer from Plymouth sugarworks. It shows the boiling point of water in real time and target temp for syrup based on that reading.
    It has been spot on all season.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

This season, I purchased a Marcland barometer, water boiling point and syrup temperature draw instrument. Very disappointed with the worthless tool. Not believing in the accuracy of this tool, I checked it against the local barometer readings at home for several days before the start of the season. The Marcland barometer reading was always .7 or .8 below the actual mechanical barometer reading, the stated barometer reading on local TV weather and on my phone weather. Plus, the Marcland syrup finishing temperature was never above 219.7 on the instrument. This season, there has been several days when the actual barometer was at 30.25 to 30.33 and the drawoff was set as high as 220.8. The Marcland displayed a number now where near the 220.8.

I have had an autodraw off for 8 years. Besides my filter press, it is the best tool I have in the sugar house. Over the years, I have kept a list of barometer readings and the temperature setting for those readings. That list makes it very simple to set a start point that might have to be adjust slightly. I always set the daily draw off start point .2 higher than my list to insure that the first draw is finished syrup then I will adjust if necessary.
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Default Auf/aof

I have been exploring the AUF/AOF concept and am in process of ordering a 2x8 in the next few weeks. Strongly considering a Smoky Lake 2x8 and talked with them about AOF and they have no history nor interest at this point in exploring it. However, I would consider doing a modification to a new arch to run a pipe into top of firebox and lateral towards the door with holes facing inward. This would have a gate valve as would the AUF. Both coming off the same high pressure blower. Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this idea.

I am ready to order a Smoky Lake 2x8 raised Flue SSR and debating between corsair and silverplate. I currently have a 2x4 hobby pro on a corsair. what led you to choose to spent the extra for the silverplate and was it worth it? Also, with the larger opening does the operator run t he rise of heat burn when loading? Thanks

How do you like the concentric exhaust? I like the concept but have also seen several videos where the draw/draft doesn't appear as strong as it could be. what are you finding with it?

Quote Originally Posted by TCLLMaple View Post
    How do you like the concentric exhaust? I like the concept but have also seen several videos where the draw/draft doesn't appear as strong as it could be. what are you finding with it?
    Off topic, but as far as concentric exhaust goes, I have absolutely no steam in the sap house during boiling. I do not notice any problems with the draw, except that my pan does not produce enough steam (about 40+ gph) to completely extinguish every ember that comes out the chimney. This has not caused any problems, as these are short lived and out before getting anywhere near the ground. There is also no condensation dripping out the drain ports on the hood and the chimney, so everything is extracted. When the AUF is running, there is so much turbulence that it must be off when firing, and there is nearly no ash left in the firebox at the end of a boil. This does lead to ash landing on the roof and nearby surfaces. I can't leave my truck parked near the sap house when boiling or it will need a wash after. My roof is metal, and it will take several rain storms to wash off all the ash.
    Last edited by Ghs57; 03-31-2024 at 02:17 AM.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I got the 2x6 raised flue Silverplate this year. I had the concentric exhaust on my old one and got it with this as well. They suggest 4 to 6 feet of the outer steam pipe above the top of the inner pipe to help extinguish the embers. I have 4 feet and still have some that come out but nothing major. With the 2 x 8 you should get 80 plus gph evaporation rate easily. I am not sure on my evaporation rate as my flow meter on my RO sticks at times and I have not had enough spa to run it more than a 2 hours at a time. I would have to guess that I am hitting at least 75 gph without running it too hard.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I bought a Smoky Lake auto draw about 5-7 yrs ago, it was their simplicity model. I also ordered a second temperature probe so when I reversed the front pan flow I only had to remove one wire on the auto draw and attach another, It worked extremely well. At first I adjusted to get proper density by starting using 219.3. Then as syrup was drawn off I used a murphy cup and hydrometer to verify and I adjusted as necessary. It worked well, but then 2 or 3 seasons later I bought a Marcland Baro/boil meter to partner with it. Huge improvement. That meter gave the barometer reading where I was and the temperature of boiling water at the Barometer reading. I used that to set the auto draw and it was perfect. Once I had that meter, I discovered how often the barometer actually changes. Some days it was quite steady, but much more often it changed every few minutes. Once I discovered that fact, I tested more often and adjusted as needed. That was huge! From then on, until I sold my evaporator my density was always perfect.
    Now I have ordered a new evaporator and I will be getting back into maple syrup production. I need to check to see if I sold that meter, if yes, I will get a new one. The first one was $200, now hopefully I won't need to find out how much the price has changed in 5-7 years. I'll hazard a guess it's significant to say the least.
    Very cool information, thanks for sharing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12