+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto Draw

Default Auto Draw

I hope everyone had a good 2024 season. I am considering an auto draw off set up from Smokey Lake. Does anyone of you have this or similar? I find it an issue to try to properly calibrate the thermometer over a pot of water as the thermometer I have has a small set screw underneath and needs to be adjusted with a screwdriver and the only way to do it is to remove it from the water.

My thought with the auto draw is you set the temp digitally and it would auto draw at the correct temp. I know many of you may suggest and RO and that too may be in the cards but I wanted to get your thoughts on a auto draw.

thank you

We have the Smoky Lake Maple Simplicity auto draw for our 2x6. Love it, 5th year on it and works like a champ every time. You still need to calibrate daily when you first get going with a boil but generally good for the rest of the day after the first couple drawoffs.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I have there basic auto draw off system and would not be without it ever again. Having the auto-draw off is like having another person helping you. Don't get me wrong. you still need to monitor it, but you can just crack the valve open and let the syrup trickle into your container or filter into your bottler.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Not knowing the details about your setup it sounds like you do not have an RO. If that is the case, I wouldn't invest the money in an auto draw. Boiling raw sap really never gets that fare away from you unless you go to sleep. Yes, it is an extra "set of eyes" but not worth the money in my book. Every farm is different, but I would invest in one of the temp dials that can be adjusted from the front so out don't need to mess with the screw in the back ever again. A note generally the temp of syrup changes (for me) throughout the course of a boil so calibrating and sticking to one temp for the night would be a bad choice for me.

Had some big changes in drawoff temps on last nights boil, a full 2 degrees form start to end. Started out good and had to chase it for next 4 drawoffs to dial it in. Ended up at 220.5 for syrup. But yes- if I was choosing my first upgrade as a drawoff or RO, I would go for the RO.
    Wesfab 7” filter press

I bought a Smoky Lake auto draw about 5-7 yrs ago, it was their simplicity model. I also ordered a second temperature probe so when I reversed the front pan flow I only had to remove one wire on the auto draw and attach another, It worked extremely well. At first I adjusted to get proper density by starting using 219.3. Then as syrup was drawn off I used a murphy cup and hydrometer to verify and I adjusted as necessary. It worked well, but then 2 or 3 seasons later I bought a Marcland Baro/boil meter to partner with it. Huge improvement. That meter gave the barometer reading where I was and the temperature of boiling water at the Barometer reading. I used that to set the auto draw and it was perfect. Once I had that meter, I discovered how often the barometer actually changes. Some days it was quite steady, but much more often it changed every few minutes. Once I discovered that fact, I tested more often and adjusted as needed. That was huge! From then on, until I sold my evaporator my density was always perfect.
    Now I have ordered a new evaporator and I will be getting back into maple syrup production. I need to check to see if I sold that meter, if yes, I will get a new one. The first one was $200, now hopefully I won't need to find out how much the price has changed in 5-7 years. I'll hazard a guess it's significant to say the least.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The simplicity model is basic, the next models going up help you know when you should add wood and get the best burn. I had that mastered and didn't need help with it. My refueling scheduled worked very well after I added high pressure AUF/AOF (both air under fire and air over fire).
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I'm considering the same SL unit. It's either that or a new bottler. But when you are a one man show, taking the pressure off of watching this in addition to everything else would be a help. I would like the stack temp too. Although I'm pretty good with my firing schedule, I don't want to regret not having that later-i've learned that the hard way. The baro/boil meter sounds like a good addition also.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

I have the Guardian I believe it is called with stack temperature. I would not want to be without the autodraw. The stack temp is also a big help as you are reheating, filtering and bottling all at the same time. I am one man operation and have an RO and a new Silverplate so things go pretty fast.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

You guys might want to check out this site, he is a member on here and has all sorts of different things. We have one of the temp controllers and it works good on our solar shurflo setup. Just tried it this year. Got poking around and he has baro meter as well. I just ordered one, $58 and change shipped.

https://plymouthsugarworks.com/
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast