+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2x6 rate

I agree with Dave about technique too, I've noticed a huge difference in evaporation rate if someone else adds the wood and they aren't particular about how the wood goes in, evaporation rate can drop by 10 or 15 gph just like that. have to criss-cross that wood so that fire can breathe.
    2024 - 57 Gallons - Short season, many and varied problems remedied in short order! - No buckets!
    2023 - 38 Gallons - RO broke, Buckets didn't run, rebuilt vacuum pump mid-season, still made good syrup!
    2022 - 52 Gallons - DIY RO, 50% less fuel, no late nights in the shack!
    2021 - 48 Gallons - new pans, new arch, lots of new taps and tubing
    2020 - 32 Gallons
    2019 - 27 Gallons

It's about getting enough air to the fire.
    One thing I noticed after I added high pressure AOF and AUF was that I no longer needed to criss cross the firewood. Apparently the abundance of high pressure air negated the need to criss cross the wood. If you search out the topic you will find it on the Proctor site, combustion efficiency.
    You however need to learn the difference between a squirrel cage blower and a high pressure blower. Just because a squirrel cage blower moves lots of air, it is not high pressure air. The difference is huge. I like to describe it as a squirrel cage blower flings the air, while a high pressure blower throws it, The high pressure blower had paddles that each throw the air at the blower outlet. It's not the volumn of the air but the pressure of it. While I lucked out getting a HP blower free, most need to pay big bucks for one. My free one came from a closed down factory, it was mounted up high in the rafters and a friend discovered it was still there several months after the factory had been closed down and cleaned out. It was actually used to create vacuum for presses punching doilies out of paper. It was 3 phase and had to get a new motor, and mount, but in the end it worked perfectly as a high pressure blower and one I could afford. If I recall it cost me 1 qt of syrup, maybe it was 2.
    Anyways, back on topic, this could solve your efficiency issue and more than doble your gph. While my efficiency was quite good before, with the HP blower AOF/AUF it rose about 20% more after while burning about 1/4 less wood, a win win in my book. Take note that I ran HP air to both under the fire and over the fire, not just over it like the report about combustion efficiency describes. I suspect my gain would not have been as good and likely I would have needed to criss ross the wood too. For me to get the HP air to both, the blower was coupled to a 4" pvc pipe, outside, under my head tank. From there it went inside the sugarhouse using 3 long sweep ells to end up on the floor facing the arch. I had a trench for it. As that 4" pvc pipe got under the arch, I split it using a 4x3x3 wye. One 3" went in under the back of the arch in a 4" heavy gauge galv. steel pipe, the pipe was on the floor and was ended and capped at 6" short of the front of the arch. In the pipe I had 3 rows of 5/16 holes, one row top center spaced about every 3", and one on each side facing theouter edge of the grates spaced the same. Each 3" pipe had a ball valve in it to regulate the portion of air to each. The other 3" went up into the slope of the ramp behind the firebox in the arch in a 2x2 square tube, which split into 2, one going to the rt and one to the left side of the fire and each had a 1/4" b;ack pipe nozzle, facing downward about 12-15 degrees and facing the opposite side grate. The nozzles went completely arond the fire except over the doors. I'm going from memory, but I think I had the AUF valve open about 1/3 and the AOF valve open about 3/4. For better details look at my original post from way back when I had first built the system. In the beginning I experimented with various valve settings, but in a very short time I found what worked best and never adjusted them again. My big question in the beginning was if the 2x2 tube I used would be large enough, Since I never tried using larger I'll never know, but the results were fantastic so I never changed them. Where the AUF transitioned from 3" pvc to 4" steel pipe (like smole pipe) I cut slits and pushed it over the 3" pvc and clamped it using a hose clamp and sealed it with duct tape. The 3" to 2x2 square I used a Fernco connector sized to do the job, I woyld guess it was 3.5" x 3 maybe, and hose clamped it together. Bothe connections were under the arch, not in the heat of the fire.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Hey Dave,

I just tried to send you a PM, but your box is full. Popular guy!

Sean
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Thanks for the heads up, I cleaned it out. I should request from Peter Gregg that as a moderator, I should get more space in my inbox, I do get lots of activity. However, I must admit, some of the messages I cleared out were not really current. Maybe I just need to watch it closer.\

Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Ok, great. Just sent it. Sorry if you get more than one. I was getting an error on my side before it finally went through.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

Default thanks

thanks Darkmachine, i’ll check that out.
    Gary
    85 taps on tubing
    2x6 Small Brothers w/tin pans
    Homemade releaser in 2019

It sounds like you are not getting enough air. Even without AUF you should be able to do 30 plus. A few things that come to mind are having a large enough draft door under the grates to let enough air in, make sure that you fully cover the grates with wood. If not fully covered the air will short circuit around the wood. Do not let too many coals build up as that will choke off the air also. Stack should be at least 8 inches without any damper in it to restrict air flow. With my home built 2 x 6 drop flue, I could get close to 40 gph without AUF and up to 50 plus with a blower. Do not fill your firebox full, fill it 1/2 to 3/4 at the most. How much will depend on the air coming in and the wood you use. When using a blower, you can fill it fuller as you have more air for combustion.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

If you add steam to your 2x6, you can get 25 to 30 gallons of syrup off an hour as long as you sweeten it to 22 brix. That I guess is a good boiling rate, source Clayton at MES!
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

I know on my evaporator burning hemlock and or pine I lose 10 gallons an hour off the boil rate. just from having to open the door so much. loading every 3-4 minutes
    2017 140 taps 30x8 12x16 shack 28.5 gal
    2018 158 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 44 gal
    2019 223 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 36 gal
    2020 226 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 63 gal
    2021 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 37 gal
    2022 230 taps 30x8 12x16 shack with 8x8 kitchen 250 waterloo ro 55 gal
    2023 235 taps 30x8 12x16 waterloo ro 50 gal
    2024 54gal

Quote Originally Posted by small_operator View Post
    Anyone know a source for a squirrel cage blower. i saw some cheaper plastic ones online, but was afraid they might melt if close to arch. Maybe like an old furnace gun without the fuel pump?
    I have bought from surplus center many times. They have a pretty good selection of fans and blowers. I have a simple blower on my evaporator with a varying speed switch on it.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Electrical/Blowers-Fans/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12