+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skipped this year

Default Skipped this year

Hope everyone had a decent season. I skipped this year for a number of reasons. Looking forward to getting back at it next year. Need to do some work on the shack.

The number of posts is really down compared to previous years. Hope everyone is okay.
    30ish taps, all buckets
    StarCat evaporator with divided pan

I skipped 3 years, will be back into tapping and boiling next year. I recently ordered a new 2x6 complete with hood, head tank and draw off tank. Getting excited to get back into it.
    In my time off I was selling down on barrels full of syrup from previous seasons. I sold my old 3x8 and I'll be cutting back from at one time 1320 taps and I'll only do 200-425 , someplace in that range, 425 looks to be the max I could tap if I tap every tree that's in a practical range from where my largest areas of maples are. At 77 I'm not going to walk farther out from my tubing areas to tap and carry buckets of sap in fact by the 2025 season I'll be 78. I'll be doing good to do the 200-425 taps. I'll also for the first time ever, be using oil to boil. My previous 4 evaporators have all been wood fired, I'm quitting wood fired and only heating my home with wood and then only when the temperatures are about 30F or below. In the mid to upper 30's I'd need to slow the fire and It's not good for the chimney.
    Welcome back!
    Yes, some maple traders have moved on, I think it may have been because several had problems logging in and they found other forums to follow. It's not likely there are fewer maple producers, since the market for syrup is greater than ever.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I skipped last year due to a very late starting opportunity. by then, the season was over. This year has been a disappointment. Although we started very early in February, late February and March weather did not cooperate. Now we are in a freeze, but I think my taps have been open too long, and many have dried up. This comes several weeks too late to make my normal production numbers. So, for next year we will consider an earlier start, and closely watch the forecasts (we did do that this year, but we could have started earlier).

There is always work to on the shack and equipment to fix or upgrade, so you are not alone. I will try to have the majority of this done well before the season, but you know how time flys by.
    Gary / Zena Crossroads / 42˚ 00' 24" N / Hobby in Early '70s, Addiction since 2014

175+ taps on 3/16 (60 of which are on two Lunchbox Vac/Releasers)
    12x34 timber framed sap house w/attached 10x34 shed roof for storage
    2 x 6 Smoky Lake hybrid pan on Corsair arch with AUF/steam hood/preheater/concentric exhaust
    7.0 KW Sun Power PV System, Smokey Lake Filter Press/Steam Bottler, Modified NGMP RO - 2 4x40 posts 200 gph

If you use tubing and vacuum, even diaphragm pump vacuum helps, an old dairy pump is even better, the tap holes will stay open much longer, butyou need to let the vacuum run 24/7 once it starts.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

it was close for me I had a hip replacement right after Thanksgiving and it took me 7 days to get 575 taps in but I made it happen. slow and steady. if I had any complications it would have never happened. but luckily everything went very well.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

I skipped this year due to pending health issues. My regular doctor detected a heart murmur so I underwent an Echo to determine the cause of the murmur. Determined that my mitral valve is experiencing severe regurgitation from both leaflets so we decided it would be better to focus on getting the ole ticker repaired than to suffer heart failure making maple syrup. Next week I will be meeting with the surgeon to determine his recommended course of action and timetable. Hoping to get it repaired soon so I will be recovered by later this summer. Glad to say we have plenty of firewood cut for the upcoming winter so my wife can take care of the place while I am in rehab.
    Dave it is great to hear that you are getting back into doing syrup. Must be when you are in your 70's as you and I are now that we need to take it a little easier and enjoy life more.
    Gary
    16' X 24' Sugarhouse
    2' X 6' Leader Inferno Arch with Revolution Raised-Flue Pans, Smoky Lake preheater and hood
    Deer Run Maple gas-powered 250 RO
    WesFab 7" filter press
    Kubota 1100 RTV with tracks and 125 gallon tank for transporting sap
    800 taps on gravity and vacuum
    Very supportive wife who is the best coworker
    http://mapletrader.com/community/sho...ing-Sugarhouse

+ Reply to Thread