+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Yet Another Diaphragm Pump Question

Default Yet Another Diaphragm Pump Question

I searched and searched threads, but can't find one that addresses my question, so here goes. This year's fickle weather and warm spells has convinced me to ditch my 50 buckets and run some lines for next year. My shop that doubles as a sugar house sits in the middle of the trees that I tap, so, if possible, I would like that to be my collection point...power available and protected from freezing. What I am thinking of is (3) 5/16's lines from a manifold. Line 1 would be appr. 150' with +-10 taps and would basically be flat horizontal. Line 2 would be appr. 150' with +-10 taps and would be a 10' elevation drop to the pump. Line 3 would be appr. 600' with +- 30 taps, but a 5' elevation lift to the pump, and this one is the reason for my question. I think the line that will gravity to the pump will provide the sap needed to eliminate the need for a recirc setup, but with the setup as described, will the Shurflo pumps pull the sap up the 5' gradual lift? There are many threads that talk about using one to pump to a tank, but I can't find anything that talks about pulling to the tank. Anyone have an opinion on what I described?

That's not a lot of lift....you'll get sap.

Perhaps 5/16" to that point away from your pump, then drop it to 3/16 line for the lift up; go up then over and down to the pump. That 3/16 will lift the sap much better than 5/16 since gasses will have difficulty getting by the sap. (some searches show some people are doing this - at least how I interpreted it).

But, even just letting it lift 5' will probably get you yields way better that you get on buckets now, that's sure easy to do
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

I would run 3/16 lines to your taps, especially the ones on flat ground or going uphill some if using a shurflo pump. It will have no problem transferring vacuum to the end of the line. With 5/16 you will need to be sure there is a downslope to the pump with no sags. I would then run 1/2 inch from the pump to storage as that is what the pump has on the discharge side.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Thanks for the replies...very helpful and has me going in the right direction.

3 options as I see it, have a diaphragm pump at the end of that most distant line and push the sap from there, ad on the other 2 have a diaphragm pump at the sugarhouse. Another option, get a real vacuum pump, even an old dairy pump like an Alamo rotary vane pump, get new vanes if needed and set up at the sugarhouse. it will need a releaser (also called an extractor) and set up a sap ladder on that long line to lift the sap in 1 or even 2 lifts. AQ lift of up to 10' works well, over that my experience says split it and have 2 or even 3 ladders if necessary. A third option, use 3/16 tubing only on that long lateral, while you won't get the advantage of gravity, you will be surprised how well the sap and gas bubbles move thru the line. you will lose some sap flow potential, but you also save $ because you then only need 1 saddle for up to 25 taps.
    I've done this in 3 areas of my rather flat sugarbush. One has 3 lines 3/16 each having 25,25 and 26 taps each and the 3 climb up about 14' to pass over the driveway in to the sugarhouse, then it flows down at about 35 degrees to where it enters the mainline which is on 27" of vacuum, I have 2 others also in 3/16 doing similar but not as dramatic a lift, but both are being pulled (or maybe push ) by the pressure in the trees in combination with the mainline on 26-27" of vacuum (I lose an inch of vacuum out further on the mainline. Those were on a piston pump, next year I'm trying the same thing on an old Alamo vane pump. I'll be opening the oil flow and adding adjustable oil drippers to get maybe 24-25" vacuum. That option also requires a releaser and a moisture trap is highly advised, either purchased or I've made 2 over the years, ask if you want to try that idea. Just PM me, or look back thru my old posts, it's in there, maybe back as far as 2010-2013.
    Diaphragm pumps do poorly if at all on a sap ladder, that's why the pump goes out near the last tap on that line, from there they push well up to the capacity of whichever pump you get. The specs on the pump will give the feet of head it will push (push up above the pump, before taking into account the line friction.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-21-2024 at 10:19 AM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread