+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning the lingo

Default Learning the lingo

I know there's no stupid question but...
    I've reading the posts and learning a ton but one thing, or a few things I'm still not clear on. The descriptions of the components being talked about.
    I gather the Arch is the fire part? The furnace? and the evaporator sits on top of that? Is that correct? also the different type of evaporators etc. I've being boiling for the first time on a 2x2 flat pan with a draw off fitting over a propane burner set in an old outdoor fire place. Tapping 10 trees I've managed to make about 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of syrup. I'd like to up grade next year so I'm focused on learning as much as I can.
    Is there a place I can see the things talked about?
    M

Bascom's maple

The arch is the “firebox” that the pans sit on. The evaporator would generally be referring to the whole setup= arch + pans. As suggested above, look into the spring seminars at Bascom Maple that will be happening soon. Also suggest visiting a local sugar house or two, maple Sunday is a great time to do that. Find one that offers tours of the facility and discussions on how they make syrup.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

Another good way, if you enjoyed making maple syrup is to get an issue of [U]The North American Maple Producers ManualU]. You may still be able to download the manual free, or maybe that option has expired.
    It will educate you on every aspect of producing maple syrup. If you buy printed copy, you will use it like forever every time you are puzzled about anything relating to maple syrup. It could be a great birthday present, or just a real nice gift to yourself. There have been 3 or more editions, I have the second edition, a third is now out. As I understand the new edition made several updates to every topic in the manual. If you want something more basis there are books available for the back yard producer, I think Bascom Maple caries them, likely others too. Look up www.bascommaple.com for ideas. They are also a good place to find some used equipment which can save you some cash, some other maple dealers also take trade ins as producers upgrade or some will sell on consignment for their customers who are growing into larger or maybe just newer equipment. For any of those it can be a good idea to find a friend who has been producing maple for a few years, to help you make a good choice for you. I think if you ask around you will find most producers will be happy to share information and help you make good choices.
    I've found that this sharing is done freely unlike most other businesses, likely because the market for syrup is so good.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

What's a draw off?

Not sure what to call it actually. What I have is a 2x2 flat pan with a 3/4 ss nipple welded in a corner and a 3/4 ss ball valve for emptying the pan. To draw off the syrup.

Thank you everyone for the replies. This is just the kind of direction I'm looking for. I really appreciate it.
    M

Bascom's Open House is May 3rd and 4th.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Another good way, if you enjoyed making maple syrup is to get an issue of [U]The North American Maple Producers ManualU]. You may still be able to download the manual free, or maybe that option has expired....
    https://mapleresearch.org/pub/manual/ The electronic version is free and should remain so.

There is a glossary near the end that should help with terminology.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    https://mapleresearch.org/pub/manual/ The electronic version is free and should remain so.

There is a glossary near the end that should help with terminology.
    What a resource!! I will be getting the hard copy. Thanks for this

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast