+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the exact width of your 2' pans?

Default What's the exact width of your 2' pans?

What's the exact width of your 2' wide pan? My new D&G pans arrived last night (a month late). 2x6' raised flu sap pan and 2x2 syrup pan. Using them on an old 2x8 arch which I rebuilt and insulated the heck out of. And much to my (and the sales rep's) surprise, the pans don't fit! Apparently a 2' wide pan is actually only 23" wide. So with my 22 3/4" opening, only have 1/8" teetering on each side. Doing some modifications to the arch this morning so we can boil, but even the rep seemed confused by this. Is this now the norm? Interestingly the newer 2x2 CDL syrup pan that was being used on it fits just fine!
    Last edited by jungmaria; 03-14-2024 at 08:13 AM.
    2024 200 taps & a rebuilt arch and 2x8 raised flu evaporator
    2020-23 85-167 taps shared with a neighbour
    2019 41 taps on 3/16 line, 2x6 oil tank evaporator
    2018 10 buckets, neighbour's homemade 2x3 arch

My Smoky Lake pans are true to size. 24" wide by whatever the length is. I just have a small overlap on my evaporator for the pans to sit on. Hopefully someone with some DG experience can chime in but im assuming they are just listing nominal sizes and the pans are made to fit their evaporator.

A month late and not to size! Wow. That's a shame. I would be having a long and unpleasant talk with the rep. and D&G right now if it were me. You didn't buy a 2x4 from the lumber store, you bought a two foot wide pan to fit a two foot wide arch. I'm glad your modifying so you can at least use it. But with that said, D&G has some explaining to do. And the rep should be talking to somebody right now about another pan- one that is correctly sized!
    Please share what D&G has to say on this.
    Good luck with whatever the resolution is.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

So here’s what the rep now says “ Well they’re standard for the arches that the manufacturer makes to fit these pans. The arch is 24” outside width but the pans are slightly narrower.”
    It’s a bit complicated as it’s an operation with neighbours. I own the sugar shack and arch and a neighbour was buying the pans so they’ve been the ones dealing with D&G. And I guess they’re willing to live with it. Meanwhile I’ve been coming up with lots of new meanings for the initials D&G!

Quote Originally Posted by jungmaria View Post
    So here’s what the rep now says “ Well they’re standard for the arches that the manufacturer makes to fit these pans. The arch is 24” outside width but the pans are slightly narrower.”
    It’s a bit complicated as it’s an operation with neighbours. I own the sugar shack and arch and a neighbour was buying the pans so they’ve been the ones dealing with D&G. And I guess they’re willing to live with it. Meanwhile I’ve been coming up with lots of new meanings for the initials D&G!
    Sorry to hear that. I deal with a lot of manufacturers at work and I'm not surprised with their response at all. Do you have any thoughts on how to narrow the evaporator to fit the pan (assuming you aren't sending them back haha). I know on my homemade oil tank arch i would just weld a 1/2" longer piece of flat stock where my pan gaskets are to account for the 1" size difference. Example my top frame is 2x2 angle iron so i would get some 2.5" flat stock and weld it flat on top. I would recommend extending the insulation out to cover that .5" gap if possible as my original design had about 1" of overhang and it started warping the top frame till i added an extra inch of ceramic.

I think for the most part all the big companies are a 1/2'' undersized on the pan size. Example my 5-foot wide (CDL) evap the pans are 59.5'' wide.

Quote Originally Posted by The Heldeberg Sapper View Post
    Sorry to hear that. I deal with a lot of manufacturers at work and I'm not surprised with their response at all. Do you have any thoughts on how to narrow the evaporator to fit the pan (assuming you aren't sending them back haha). I know on my homemade oil tank arch i would just weld a 1/2" longer piece of flat stock where my pan gaskets are to account for the 1" size difference. Example my top frame is 2x2 angle iron so i would get some 2.5" flat stock and weld it flat on top. I would recommend extending the insulation out to cover that .5" gap if possible as my original design had about 1" of overhang and it started warping the top frame till i added an extra inch of ceramic.
    Yeah that's exactly what we did. Basically welded a frame and hooked it to the sides of the arch since moving the arch or the welder isn't easy and caulked it with heat caulk to get us boiling. May weld it in the off season. And then realized it had probably raised the pan too high for the insulation so we're topping up the insulation today. Hadn't thought about extending it out. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ecp View Post
    I think for the most part all the big companies are a 1/2'' undersized on the pan size. Example my 5-foot wide (CDL) evap the pans are 59.5'' wide.
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Would've been fine with a 1/2" but 1" was too much. Since all our other pans have been 24" exactly it came as a surprise!

My Mason 2x3 XL pan is exactly 2x3. Yet another reason to appreciate Mason's work. I've been very happy with the pan and evaporator I bought from him.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Just checked the pans our Darveau evaporator and exactly 2x2. Sounds like some bean counter at D&G saving on steel
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast