+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filter press Air pump replacement

Default Filter press Air pump replacement

I have a Wes Fab half bank filter press. The gear pump is getting to the point it will have to be replaced. How hard is it to replace with an air pump and what is the best pump to use?
    Smoky Lake Corsair 2x6
    Micro 2 RO
    400 taps on 3/16 natural vacuum

Not too difficult at all. I bought a Wilden pump, stainless steel and FDA approved.
    Model no P1/SSPPP/FSS/FS/SFS/0700. Designed to be easy to break down and clean.
    Biggest hurdle was a compressor to power it. Hoses are all on SS camlocks and easy to do.
    Ended up with a Rolair JC20 that’s quiet, oil less and has more than enough CFM s to keep up.
    If I could post pics, I would, the whole setup is that nice.

When you consider the last thing your syrup goes through is the filter press pump…it becomes kind of important.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

That's the press I have (if half-bank means only 4 hollow plates). It has an electric diaphragm pump, so no separate compressor needed.
    https://www.cdlusa.com/produits/cdlw...ilter-press-7/

They have a few pump kit options, but no prices listed on the site. Your local dealer can give you a quote, though.

Three seasons, almost 350 gallons later, it's doing its job. Plus I use it to filter both the front pan and the back pan, so it's done more work than that. The only problem I have had with it is once in a while it has a hard time priming itself and pulling the charged syrup up from the bucket on the floor. If I lift the bucket up to or above the height of the pump, it will get started and then it pulls like a champ. It doesn't happen every time. I panicked when it first happened thinking the pump failed, but it turns out the fix is simple.
    Woodville Maples
    www.woodvillemaples.com
    www.facebook.com/woodvillemaples
    Around 300 taps on tubing, 25+ on buckets if I put them out
    Mix of natural and mechanical vac, S3 Controller from Mountain Maple
    2x6 W.F. Mason with Phaneuf pans
    Deer Run 250 RO
    Ford F350
    6+ hives of bees (if they make it through the winters)
    Keeping the day job until I can start living the dream.

It's fairly simple and once you've done it you will never want to go back. I did just that when my 5 bank LaPierre filter press original gear pump needed replacing. I looked at numerous pumps and finally settled on a 3/8" in/out Air Diaphragm pump. If you search back thru my old posts, you might find where I made the change. I'll guess it was in 2016-2018 but that's just a wild guess.
    Anyways, it works wonderfully, the only issue I ever had was the noise of the compressor. I solved that by moving the compressor to my shop which is 80' away as I ran power from the sugarhouse to the shop. I laid a 3/4" heavy wall black poli pipe as an air line, and being it was uphill maybe 2', I put a bleeder line in at the lowest point. That line comes off at a tee, facing downward, then it goes up the outside wall of the sugarhouse and it has a ball valve. That's so I can blow off moisture that accumulates. I open that valve mid fall and late spring to blow off the moisture. The pump I got was only rated for 200F but I've never had any issue with it and I have drawn off from the finisher into a 6 gal funnel tank at 205-210F but apparently by the time it hits the pump it's cool enough not to damage the diaphragm. My pump is an ARO by Ingersol Rand. For my air, I have the 3/4" transfer line from the shop into the sugarhouse, then it goes into a 3/8" rubber air hose. Just before it enters the pump I have a pressure regulator and a ball valve. Since my power goes from the sugarhouse to the shop, to run the pump, I leave the compressor turned on and turn on or off the breaker to the shop. It is now quiet in the sugarhouse, all I hear when pumping syrup is the strokes of the piston working the diaphragm. The air powered pump gives total control for speed and pressure. I run the air to the regulator at up to 125 PSI, then the regulator just before the pump brings it down to run at whatever speed I want it to pump. After the fack I think even a 1/4" in and out syrup hoses would be fine, but this works so i'm not likely to change to the smaller pump. I am very glad the temperature worked, I was taking a risk, but at the time my thoughts were that the 200F rating was likely not an absolute I figured they likely had some leeway. So far it's been good, at 5 or 6 years in.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread