+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Niter buildup and boiling temperature

Hybrid View

Default Niter buildup and boiling temperature

I have a new toy that controls the stack temperature of my boils. (Thanks to Tetil Engineering) This has allowed me to dial back the heat and keep it consistent (wood fired here).

This year I am boiling at what is a low temperature for me by trying to keep the stack temps at 850, where formerly I was boiling much, much higher, although not as consistently. Im keeping the stack temperatures between 840 and 850, and never hitting 900.

The amazing thing is that where last year I would glaze the bottom of the pan with niter so badly I had to scrape it off every night, this year the bottom of the last channel is much smoother and clean. Is this a coincidence?

Im processing more sap this year, and handling sweeter sap as well, with a new r.o.
    12x24 sugarhouse 2x4 drop flue
    2020. 211 taps on 3/16”gravity with flojet g80 air driven pumps
    2021. 250 taps 4 flojet g80
    2022 275 taps on 3/16 gravity to two g80 vacuum stations
    2023. 320 taps 5 g80 pumps
    2024. Refurbed homemade 2 post 4040 All stainless sap storage and handling

my assumption would be a coincidence. the nitre that i am getting this year is thick and sludge like. However it is not sticking to the bottom of the pan at all! makes filtering a pain, but pan cleaning a breeze.
    Awfully thankful for an understanding wife!

“The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.”
    - Vincent “Vince” Lombardi

Good luck to all!

We're experiencing the same thing as tcross this year so I would say coincidence as well. I guess its a "finer" niter so it is sludging up more.
    305 taps on 2 Shurflo's, 31 taps on 3/16" and 229 taps on gravity. 565 in all
    Mountain Maple S3 controller for 145 of the vacuum taps
    2x6 Darveau Mystique Oil Fired Evaporator w/ Smoky Lake Simplicity Auto Draw
    Wesfab 7” filter press

+ Reply to Thread