+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can I add some leftover syrup from last year into my final boil without quality loss?

Question Can I add some leftover syrup from last year into my final boil without quality loss?

I'm a hobby maker and only make a few gallons per season. I have a little over 1.5 gallons of 64.5 near syrup in the fridge which I'll finish boiling, filter, and bottle either tomorrow or Saturday. That's only about half of my usual due to weather and other issues.

That said, I have five or six 8-ounce bottles in my pantry leftover from last year that developed some niter in the bottom of the bottles which I don't usually get. Would it be a bad idea to add that syrup into this year's batch before I finish boiling it? I was thinking it would give me a chance to get rid of the niter when I filter again and freshen it up by re-boiling it. However, I won't do it if you more experienced folks think it will reduce the quality or have any other negative effects on this year's batch that I'm not thinking of.

Thoughts?
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

Of course you can add it.
    As long as it’s good syrup and there are no off flavours in last years batch.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Thanks. The one I opened tasted just like when it was bottled and there isn't any real color change either. I was thinking that in addition to being able to remove the niter that formed, that boiling it with the new stuff would kind of freshen it up.
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Backyard hobby syrup maker on about 12 trees

I think the answer will depend on what it was packed in, if glass, likely good to mix, if in non oxygen barrier plastic, you might not want to mix, those jugs tend to suffer some because they allow oxygen in, even though slight, it does make a difference. If your sales are slow enough that you frequently have jugs that have been packed for 8 or more months, consider using oxygen barrier jugs.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread