+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Give up on Hydrometers... Better options?

Default I Give up on Hydrometers... Better options?

Seems that I've somehow ruined a hydrometer and a hydrotherm now. I bought a hydrometer in 2019, worked well until I dropped it in the cup a little hard and bumped the scale. My last batch of 2020 came out way too thick and crystallized - on the plus side the crystals are a good maple rock candy if you can free them from the jar.
    Since I don't like guessing, I bought a hydrotherm last year, and it worked fantastic all year, really consistent density. Since I bumped the first hydrometer and ruined it, I treated this one like a faberge egg, I know I haven't bumped or dropped it.

First batch of this year - I finish on propane in a brewers kettle with a calibrated CDL syrup thermometer installed in it. I calibrate in a boiling kettle right before I finish. I also check boiling temp with a digital thermometer. It was windy and cold so I was in a bit of a rush to finish, and probably too rushed reading the hydrotherm, but by the time it reached the proper density, my syrup thermometer was reading 10* above boiling. We bottled at that density, and it is definitely too thick

Last night - second batch, and a nice warm calm night so I wasn't in a rush reading the hydrotherm (made sure it was up to temp). Boiled syrup to 9* above, preheated the hydrotherm and cup in the boiling syrup, and the mercury of the hydrotherm is still well below the syrup... Density looked right, felt right when cooled, it sheeted and hung on the spoon, so I bottled it...
    Is there some way to have a hydrometer calibrated? I'm pretty frustrated having a $50 tool only last a year...
    Maybe I should switch to a refractometer?

I am still very new to syruping so not too much experience to share... I did this with my wife's parents who showed me the ropes. Previously, they used a hydrometer and were always successful in making maple syrup. The hydrometer is well-proven yet I never warmed up this this method. For the next two years, I introduced my arsenal of three refractometers to the process - one is a low range that is used exclusively for testing the concentrate from the RO machine. The second refractometer is used while we are boiling on the evaporater. A third refractometer is introduced while the final boiling is being done inside. Both the second and third refractometers are used as a rough check while performing this final boil (as their scales are different). The first year my in-laws were hesitant to trust these refractometers and somewhat relunctantly went along yet continued using the hydrometer as well. The following year, the hydrometer never came out of the cabinet as they had mastered using the hydrometer AND trusted the results.

Interestingly, the final syrup had a thicker consistency when using the refractometers rather than the hydrometer. I posit that they always erred on the safe side and pulled it off when it was just approaching 66 Brix OR the hydrometer was no longer in proper calibration??? Either way, the refractometers are the go-to tools for us!

Two thoughts:

1 - I've found that if the syrup in the steel hydrometer cup gets too hot, like if it's submerged in hard boiling syrup, it starts to drop (give a lower reading). My guess is that this is due to bubbles of gas forming in the syrup in the steel tube as it approaches boiling, lowering the overall density.

2 - I've never used a hydrotherm, but I just found the following online: "Keep the hydrotherm in an upright position to prevent the red column from separating, when not in use". Here's a link: https://www.cdlinc.ca/wp-content/upl...hydrotherm.pdf. I don't know what happens if it "separates", or if this permanently ruins the operation of the hydrotherm. Maybe someone else with more experience using one can chime in.

Good luck!

Gabe O
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

I use a Milwaukee Model MA871 refractometer that works well. initial cost high ($150) but very consistent and hard to break unlike hydrometers ( I've broken every one I've owned.)
    Pat
    90+ Buckets
    Mason 2x4 Raised Flue (the micro-beast)
    Polaris Atv w/tracks and trailer with gathering tank
    Polaris Snowmachine for years with snow
    wood, wood, wood
    dogs, ducks, cat, kids, wife

Just be more careful, I've made syrup since 2003 and always used a hydrometer. When you first get a new hydrometer, before first use, put the hydrometer in the box it came in, hold the hydrometer tight to the end of the box and carefully mark the red line position on the box, (or better yet buy a "gold hydrometer" by Smoky Lake and it has the line on both the paper inside and on the glass. That way, if the hydrometer ever gets dropped too hard into the hydrometer cup and the paper slides, you can re-align it. Also, I only broke one, when it fell on the concrete floor. Make note, I also never have just 1, I bought one to use and a spare. I've had the same spare over 10 years. It's not that I'm any better than you, likely just more careful. great tool too, is to have a Murphy Cup for your hydrometer cup, yes, it's costly, but not as costly as ruining batch after batch of syrup. To use it, fill with the syrup being tested, at any temperature, watch the gauge. Once it stops moving put the clean hydrometer in the cup. Both should read the same. The gauge on the Murphy cup is really a thermometer, but it's marked not with temperature but in what the hydrometer should read at whatever temperature the syru in the cup is. No guesswork.
    Before the Murphy Cup used to use an Accu cup, similar, except the gauge gave you the temperature and then you used a chart to find the wanted hydrometer reading, but it only had some temperatures in the chart, you had to guesstimate for a reading between 2 temperatures in the chart. The Murphy cup removed that process.
    Try again, buy 2 and be extremely careful using the hydrometer. If done right there will be no bad batches. One more thing, temperature boiling isnot an easy read, as the air pressure changes so does the desired boiling temp, that's why you use a Murphy Cup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Two big thumbs up for the Murphy cup, it’s easy and quick to use and get perfect density consistently.
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

I'll second that Dave. The Murphy Cup and Gold Hydrometer work great together and you will always get perfect brix syrup.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

I use two hydrometers during a boil and switch between them. They are kept in a sampling cup containing hot water and resting in the float box to keep hot. The sampling cup for testing is resting in the other float box to stay hot too. I test frequently. I occasionally use a thermometer and check temperature and it's always in been in the correct range for syrup coming off the draw.

I've only ever broken one,.many years ago.

I also use a refractometer for testing the batch in the syrup tank prior to adding DE and filtering.

BTW, I've been away from mapletrader posting since I haven't been able to view, much less post due to the https issue and other problems on the site. If I were an advertiser on the site I would be withholding payment until everything is fixed! I'm still having problems including viewing the VT forum.

Ken
    Last edited by TapTapTap; 03-06-2024 at 06:10 AM.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Check with Peter Gregg, the site owner. The issue might all be on your end, I get everything perfectly. There was some sort of an issue but that was fixed as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-08-2024 at 12:20 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    Check with Gregg, the site owner. The issue might all be on your end, I get everything perfectly. There was some sort of an issue but that was fixed as far as I can tell.
    It's still not fixed, it just renders correctly on some browsers. See the "not secure" in the header, and no "https"? That means they still haven't fixed their issue with authentication. It still won't render correctly on my phone, but fortunately it's okay on my browser.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread