+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peepers in 2024--is the season over?

Default Peepers in 2024--is the season over?

Hi,

I have heard that chirping peepers at night signal the end of the sugaring season. Here in Dutchess County, New York , 3/4/2024 is the second night of lots of peeper noise and I haven't put in a single tap yet. Is the season done? I usually get going in early March (for the last 4 years) but I wonder do we believe peepers mean the season is done? Weather predictions here show no below freezing temps for at least the next 7 days. Please tell me that there's hope for 2024 in my area.

Thanks!

--Peter

I would like to be upbeat about you situation but peep frogs are one of the strong signs the season is nearing the end, another saying that producers will repeat is the the peep frog has to look thru the glass three times then it’s over, what they mean is the pond will freeze twice more and the peep frog looks thru the ice! I hope for your season is not over, especially since you never got started , mine ended tonight in the eastern mountains of West Virginia, got a 5 good week season in.
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Thanks for your reply Mark. I did experience a buddy batch of syrup once , when I made it too late in the season, and would hate to waste my time like that again.
    Oh well.... better luck next year I guess.
    --Peter

Peter,
    Are there other producers near you? Keep and an eye on them, they probably started early, unfortunately the seasons have changed a lot in my 26 years! First year in 98 started after Valentine’s Day, that season we got lucky, weather was cold in March. The very next year we tapped the first warm day after Ground Hogs day, that worked for a couple years, now I go the third week of January, a producer near me went in the the first week of January, had a good season. So now if I’m still feeling good and have a reliable helper I will go earlier next year, call it what you want, I don’t vote that way I personally feel it is nothing but climate change. It will only get worse in my opinion! We will be out as the heat marches up the East coast for the next 25 years wiping maple operations one by one! Sorry that is my prediction.
    Mark220maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

+ Reply to Thread