+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surrendering to the fur covered demons

Default Surrendering to the fur covered demons

I went to 3/16 tubing about ten years ago and it's served me well, until this year. This year, I could not keep up with the squirrel damage and I finally gave up and sacrificed some vacuum. No doubt it hurt my production, but runs were so sporadic I doubt it mattered a lot. I am trying to formulate a plan for the future and would like some thoughts on an idea.

First strategy is: kill all the furry little B**tards as possible.

Second, I was wondering if maybe I should just go to all 5/16 and forget about getting maximum natural vacuum. My question is; will the chew leaks and impact on 5/16 be less than on 3/16th laterals? If I can tolerate a few minor leaks and not lose significant sap production. it may be worth the change over. As you know a lot of chews are small nips on top of the tubing that don't really lose much sap, but will lose a lot of vacuum. I need some experienced wisdom here. All I ever had is 3/16 into one mainline.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Have you ever considered taking down your lines and putting them back up every year?

I do this, using a spool / yoke that I made out of 5 gallons buckets and PVC pipe. One spool per line. I have 8 lines, 112 taps, totaling over 5000 feet of 3/16 tubing and significant elevation change to navigate (over 100 feet of drop)...and I can get all lines up and spouts changed in a single day (I cut them off in off season on the spool) and all lines taken down and coiled up in a single day.

To me, this time is well spent to avoid the frustration you are having and it's probably less time than what's spent chasing and repairing leaks. Not to mention it keeps your lines in far better condition. I have had only 2 squirrel chews in 4 years (happened at end of season after cleaning before I took them down).

Here's some videos on what I made and how I use it:
    https://youtu.be/I9ZoGFDqLqE?si=oeRdlVWrM2Dl0iiB
    https://youtu.be/bmco0vR-Cck?si=rXZhqx_HDJ2MrXEC
    https://youtu.be/jYkZl7bb8jY?si=VOf_N3qU4hGy2lZ_

As well as how I clean the lines before taking them down:
    https://youtu.be/FUrzZQOcyb4?si=8tt7ro6fOP93aBFe
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

D Roseum, They were chewing it everyday. IN late December I went through and had everything fixed and new drops installed and the day I tapped I had to replace 40 % of my drops. I was averaging 6-8 new chews every day during season. I had 140+ taps out and 4-5,000 feet of tubing. I never seen it so bad. There are days I can count 8-10 squirrels just looking out my house windows.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

What do you use to clean your lines? I know Dr Tim has mentioned that some cleaners really make the squirrels want to chew your lines. He made a distinction between different types of bleach, where one is not a problem and the other is.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Right, I clean our 3/16 with the pool shock stuff. It breaks down to bitter rather than salty, squirrels are completely uninterested in my lines, alsolutely 0 chews since switching.
    Of course I don't know, once a population of squirrels has learned to chew, to the degree buckeye gold is talking about, maybe it's hopeless.
    Last edited by Darrel Wright; 02-27-2024 at 03:09 PM.
    25 years of maple tinkering in Hiram, Ohio. now in partnership with awesome neighbors... because that's what Hiram is all about!

80 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on buckets
    Great Circle 48v cart thingy, modified for EGO batteries
    Homemade 2x4 um...bent flue?... evap
    New to us 3'x6' homemade flat evap
    RO Bucket RB10
    Custom made 10, 15, and 16 year-old woods-monkeys, female version.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    D Roseum, They were chewing it everyday. IN late December I went through and had everything fixed and new drops installed and the day I tapped I had to replace 40 % of my drops. I was averaging 6-8 new chews every day during season. I had 140+ taps out and 4-5,000 feet of tubing. I never seen it so bad. There are days I can count 8-10 squirrels just looking out my house windows.
    That's really rough and I feel really bad for you ...has to be maddening!
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

lead poisoning!

I use pool shock to clean with and I put hot sauce on the trees, if it's been suggested I have probably tried it. I always had a few chews but the last two years has been the worse. One of my problems is I have a mixed woods of Maple,beech and hickory. IN other words squirrel heaven.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

I never had a problem until this year. Now its game on with the 22lr. Time for some good old fashion squirrel stew. and lots of it. I have the same kind of woods Buckeye maple, beech, and hickory, with a few walnut trees thrown in for good measure.
    2004 - 2012 2x3 flat pan 25 to 60 taps
    2012 2x3 new divided pan w/draw off 55 taps
    2018 - didn't boil surgery - bought new evaporator
    2019 new SML 2x4 raised flue high output evap. 65 taps
    made 17 gal. syrup
    2020 - only put out 53 taps - made 16.25 ga.l syrup
    2021 - Didn't work out
    2022 - 25 taps on bags / 8 taps on 3/16's line - late start

Find a hunter who likes to eat squirrel and has enough time to be effective. I've seen no difference between 3/16 and 5/16 in regards to squirrels, my grandson likes squirrel and he's an excellent shot, but you can't have him!
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast