+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions on selling to restaurants

Default Questions on selling to restaurants

Last year was my first year selling product, and I did it all retail from my front porch. I bottle in glass 8oz, 16oz, 32oz and 64oz and as we all know, these glass bottles are not cheap.

I want to approach a few local restaurants this year but I don't really know where to begin. I know there will obviously be large variables from buyer to buyer, but I'm looking for general guidance.

I'm only 95 taps and running the whole operation solo.

How do restaurants like to take delivery? If you were me... Let's say they want to buy a gallon every week, would you just give them 2 of the half gallon size at maybe a 20% discount to retail pricing? Do they generally prefer to take delivery in food grade plastic buckets of varying sizes? Would they want to use their own containers? I feel somewhat uneasy about discounting to wholesale with my retail packaging.

Curious what others have experienced and what advice you may have. Concerns of insurance/licensing etc. need not be a part of this particular conversation.
    Mark

2024 95 taps, 4040 RO build. 46 gallons syrup
    2023 51 taps on 5/16" Shurflo vacuum system; Homemade oil tank evap, Smokey Lake 2x4' Divided pan; 3x150GPD RO. 48.125 gallons syrup
    2016-2022 12 taps into buckets; 3 steam pans over cinder block arch, ~3.75gal syrup

SE Wisconsin
    43.3N

I only have experience with selling to a single restaurant. They wanted three gallons a month. I sold them three, gallon jugs at $50 retail price and everybody was happy- until the restaurant burned and did not reopen. It was a great arrangement. However, I would think most eateries would want some sort of discount for "bulk" purchasing, and smaller containers versus a 5 gal. container will depend on their walk-in cooler space and how strong their smallest employee is for moving a pail of the stuff.
    I would not fill containers brought by them and I would not want a container back from them, either. Whatever container you send off to them, factor in the cost of it in the price.
    Approach some and ask what they think. Then decide if you can do it or not.
    Good luck.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I would make sure that you have liability insurance. I get mine through Farm Family and it covers my home, sugarhouse and sales.

In terms of packaging, I find that most restaurants want gallon or even half gallon containers. You can get blank jugs from Bascom's and put nutrition and maple syrup labels on them. We sold to the restaurants with a 10-15% discount over retail.

Good luck!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

Yes, insurance absolutely. I've only sold to one eatery, it was a waffle and pancake place. They wanted it in 1/2 gal jugs, and they pay on delivery. Because I'm delivering at no extra cost, they pay my full retail. They call to reorder as needed. I believe they charge an up fee for those who want real syrup, and pour some into a 3 oz container.
    I know of another restaurant, all day, breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I don't have that account, they buy from the local FFA who make the syrup. They do fill 3 oz plastic cups if you request real syrup.
    I also know, in other restaurants, they buy syrup in 5 gal jugs and use a dispenser cap to draw off some syrup, the one I'm most familiar with only offers the real stuff and the cost is built into the cost of the meal. In fact I don't even know if the offer the fake stuff on request, but that restaurant is in Vermont.
    The best way to go about it would likely be to pack a sample, go in and ask the cook, chef or owner if they would try it. Leave your contact info and no hard sell, the sample is free. Then if they don't contact you in a week or so, call them and ask. At least if I was trying to get a restaurant account that's how I would do it.
    One point to remember, if you get a restaurant account and they will call when they want more, be sure you always have stock in what they are buying and be ready to deliver in 24 hrs or less. For that point, one reason I don't do restaurants. I have an outlet that sells so much of my syrup that I can't stretch myself any more for such an endeavor.
    If I were 20 yrs younger and had way more taps I might pursue it. I already have the insurance, cheap peace of mind!
    Last edited by maple flats; 03-26-2024 at 12:47 PM.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread