+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #1 reason for delicious but Less Maple-y maple syrup

Default #1 reason for delicious but Less Maple-y maple syrup

Subject line intended as a question, I’m looking for answers and wisdom from those more experienced. Early days as a hobby sugar maker around 7 years ago with 10 taps, and even when I increased to 20 then 30, let’s say the first few years, people used to tell me my syrup was not only delicious but more maple-y than what they bought in stores. I was proud of that. But the last couple of years (100-200 taps), I’m hearing that less, and also heard from one customer that my syrup is delicious but less maple-y than others they’ve tasted. The changes over that time include using tubing vs only buckets, RO to at most 4-6%, and flat filtering vs cone filtering. This customer brought me a sample of my syrup which they bought, and another local New England brand, which they said was more maple-y. Aafter tasting both I had to agree 100%. My syrup is still 100% delicious, but I’d like to get back the strong maple taste, which I find hard to describe but I know it when I taste it. Know what I mean, anyone? I don’t want and don’t think I need to go back to all buckets in order to achieve this. So, what do you think are the most important 2 or 3 factors to get the most maple-y taste in your syrup?
    2022 is season 7
    2016: 20 taps on buckets, 4 gallons on a borrowed 2x3.
    2017: 32 taps on buckets, 8 gallons of syrup, on a "loaner" Lapierre 19x48.
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons
    2019: 100 taps. 22 gallons. Added a small RO 50 gph.
    2020: 145 taps, 30 gallons, sold half. Murphy cup is a great addition.
    2021: tapped Feb 23, 150 taps, 35 gallons.
    2022: 200 taps. I lost 50, added 100. Having fun but short season?

Anticipating likely questions, I can add that I’ve always Boiled in stainless steel, generally oil the same day as collecting in bottle in class or plastic, as soon as I have hot syrup. Actually, I did start packing in 5 gallon plastic a couple years ago. When went above 15 gallons of syrup.
    2022 is season 7
    2018: 80 taps. First time tubing. New 10x12 sugar shack, Lapierre 2x5. Made 17 gallons

Are you making lighter syrup than you once did ?
    Generally
    Golden is the least mapley but still mapley
    Amber is a little more mapley ( generally what’s sold in stores and what most producers sell )
    Dark has a definitive robust mapely taste.
    Very dark has an earthy mapley taste.

There are times that an amber tastes like a dark or vise versa. But in general the lighter the grade the less mapley it is.

I’m sure there may be some science behind what you are talking about between buckets and tubing. But I’m not sure if it’s been tested before.
    I’m sure Dr Tim might have a better explanation.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I’ve actually been making less Golden Del and more amber and dark, which I’ve attributed to RO’ing to only 4-6%, which others here have explained and now makes sense to me. I’d love to hear from Dr Tim on this question. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Are you making lighter syrup than you once did ?
    Generally
    Golden is the least mapley but still mapley
    Amber is a little more mapley ( generally what’s sold in stores and what most producers sell )
    Dark has a definitive robust mapely taste.
    Very dark has an earthy mapley taste.

There are times that an amber tastes like a dark or vise versa. But in general the lighter the grade the less mapley it is.

I’m sure there may be some science behind what you are talking about between buckets and tubing. But I’m not sure if it’s been tested before.
    I’m sure Dr Tim might have a better explanation.
    2022 is season 7

It could be something that has changed in your process, but from a distance we are unlikely to be able to pinpoint that. But more likely it is this: There is a lot of variability in what the trees put out from year to year. At least that has been my experience. Some years I've thought my syrup was fantastic, and other years only okay.

So if you can pinpoint something you know is different, sure, try fixing it. But keep in mind that if things get better or worse after your changes, the flavor profile difference may have more to do with what the trees are putting out than what you did.

Another thing to consider is the trees you're tapping. If, as you grew, you picked up a new sugar bush, it is certainly possible that the trees from that area just have a different flavor profile than the bush you started off with.

Cheers,

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Were all your pans, flue type pans? I know I usually prefer syrup that's batch boiled in a flat pan over syrup that spends minimal time boiling in a flue pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    Were all your pans, flue type pans? I know I usually prefer syrup that's batch boiled in a flat pan over syrup that spends minimal time boiling in a flue pan.
    Boiling in a 2x5 Lapierre with 5” raised flues in back. Always used raised flue so that’s not a change. If I were to guess, I’d guess others would say cleaning should be on the list of factors, maybe close to the top,
    Since there are so many places to clean, as I’ve increased taps, from tubing to spouts to fittings, hoses and pumps, tanks, evaporator, finishing equipment. During the season I’ll flush and clean my head tank and evaporator several times when there’s a break usually, but not every boil. I still work full time and boil at night during the week, so there’s just not enough time to be extremely fastidious.

I cleaned everything in the recent freeze and started boiling again last night and so far so good. I work in the field of continuous improvement so applying that to my sugaring, I will try changing one thing and see if that makes a difference, just thought I’d check in first with this amazing community for input in what that first change should be. I have already made one significant change this year - I cut out my RO. Curious what that will do. Thanks all! I’ll write back if I learn anything.
    2022 is season 7

A big factor is weather, rain wind etc. The old timers around here said if the wind blows and cracks the limbs a little in the fall the sap will be sweeter the next spring. The soil is one of the factors of the flavor. We have different flavors as the season goes on and we only make med and light because every thing is clean and procesed in 30 hrs or less. Some years the flavor is better than others but that is aroll of the dice. I once tapped a bunch of trees at the neighbors where the cows stood under when it rained and or shade.The trees there always tested 4%. So when you get all done you still don't really know. People ask me "Is IT Going To Be A Good Year?" and I say I will tell you when it is over.
    Blaisdell's Maple Farm
    started on a 2x2 pan in 2000 and now
    custom built oil fired 4x12 arch by me
    Thor pans Desinged by Thad Blaisdell
    4600 taps on a drop flue 8-4 split

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by tgormley358 View Post
    I’ve actually been making less Golden Del and more amber and dark, which I’ve attributed to RO’ing to only 4-6%, which others here have explained and now makes sense to me. I’d love to hear from Dr Tim on this question. Thanks
    Lots of factors affect syrup color and flavor - far too many to discuss here, but RO concentration to less than 10% can produce darker syrup. Above that it tends to get lighter. Running pans deeper and slower boiling (or reheating finished syrup) tends to produce darker syrup. Longer sap or concentrate storage produces darker and stronger syrup due to more microbial growth causing higher invert sugar levels in the sap.

Technically, maple flavor (and vanilla tones) is highest in light syrup. Darker syrups have a more complex mixture of strong flavors, but these are not true “maple” flavor, but most people tend to (incorrectly ) associate strong flavor as more “maply” flavor.

A pet peeve of mine is when people say that syrup that is light isn’t good because it doesn’t have that true “smoky” maple flavor. Maple should NOT taste smoky - if it does, it is an off-flavor.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 02-24-2024 at 04:07 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr. Tim. Quick question on the same subject. Lots of the old timers here in my area swear that "rock" maple tastes better than "flat" or wet maple. I assume they mean the maples on the shield rock as opposed to flat ground maple groves. Would that have to do with the minerals in the sap drawn up from the rocky outcrops? Or is it just old time folk lore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast