+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2024

Default Willow Creek Sugarhouse 2024

Well I guess its time I get this going. Looks Like the maple news took over the trader. SOOOOO many ads. a little bit of a deterrent I know this thing isn't cheap so thank you to the maple news. but anyway hope everyone is doing well.

I had a Hip replacement surgery November 28th/23. Its been a long time coming. Delt with pain for a few years. Got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. advanced arthritis, bone spurs, hip displasia... all in all pretty bad. Doc didn't know how I was still going at the pace I was. My wife says I have the pain tolerance of a heroin addict but anyway surgery went very well and after sitting on my a$$ for too long and putting on 13 lbs still getting stronger everyday and that deep hip pain is gone still a little pain here and there but dont need pain meds or even advil at this point getting stronger every day. I am currently at 11 weeks. back to work 5 hrs a day. I am on my feet all day so he restricted me to 5 hrs and no heavy lifting. should be back to full time in a couple more weeks.

So I started tapping last Sunday Feb. 4th and just took things very slow and steady still a bit of ice and snow but just did what I could do and finished tapping this Sunday. and over that time collected 800 gallons and did my first boil yesterday got the pans sweetened and made a few gallons of syrup. sap still had a pretty green hue but ended up with border amber/Dark I didn't check it yet. Went through the tubing across the street which I did Sunday morning and fixed all the leaks vacuum is holding at 27" I wanted 28" I think I will settle for that for now.

I got a another 500 gallons in the tank since last night but that is gonna sit until tomorrow. Hopefully there will be no school tomorrow and I can boil early but we went from 8 to 12 inches of snow of 3-5 inches to maybe even 1 to 3 storm is going south.

big freeze up coming for the next 7 to 10 days. Hopefully things get ripping after that.

hopefully we will have a great season like last year!!!

Happy sapping everyone.
    Brad
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

www.willowcreeksugarhouse.com
    585 or so on Vacuum, about 35 on buckets/sap sacs
    Atlas Copco GVS 25A Rotary Vane vacuum pump
    MES horizontal electric releaser
    2x6 ss phaneuf Drop flue, Leader woodsaver blower, homemade hood
    300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP
    Its Here!!! 2024 season is here get busy!!!

Brad, sounds like you are on your way to recovery and getting back to moving freely. Good news! As far as the weather, the more they talk about it, the less they know. The storm is a complete miss here and this morning’s forecast has backed the cold freeze down to not as much of a freeze up. Keep up the good work. I have made 10 gallons of light AR over the last 2 days with more sap to boil today. Good luck with your boiling
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Brad, good to hear you're back and able to pull your weight! Kind of curious where the doctors found the after market parts. Perhaps the Boston & Maine, or is that defunct? With little snowpack or frost in the ground this early hopefully we won't get a repeat of last year and things get too warm too fast. Good luck. Bruce
    Bruce Treat
    825 Sugar Maple Taps
    3/16 w/ DSD .225 Spiles
    H2O RO
    H2O 2.5 X 8
    Bow, New Hampshire

I would love a repeat of last year I had a bumper crop last year because I tapped early and caught that early run but things shut down a little early. I have no idea where they got my bionic hip from. I think its titanium alloy, plastic and ceramic.

that storm from last week turned out to nothing went south. but for some reason school was called the night before so got to boil and already up to 12 gallons. it was early sap that was still quite a bit green so its a little on the darker side. but just into dark should lighten up after I move out what has been sitting in the evap since tuesday.

Managed about 25 to 30 gallons of sap but I will dump that and start fresh. things should start to thaw looks like tuesday or wednesday this week. with some good sap weather on the horizon.

was able to get a few things fixed. got a couple of leaky fittings on the RO retaped a leaky main line fitting reset and tightened.

sugarhouse cleaned up thats always a work in progress. gets full of crap with bee stuff and chicken stuff in the off season. always a mouse or 2 to evict constant battle!!!

still debating on buckets.... but don't need to worry about them until wednesday. see how I feel then.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Brad,
    Always good to hear from another trader who’s been here since the “Haynes days”.
    Never a dull moment back then…. Glad to hear you’re still going at it.

As I get older-wiser it becomes more satisfying to just take my time and fine tune what I’ve got.
    I get done what I get done, no more no less. Still more important to make really good syrup rather than lots.

4 hours in the sugar house today, thinking I’d get it all knocked out and ready, ended up with me replacing lots of little **** that I had been putting off for years.
    Let the Games begin!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

OH yes Haynes that a blast from the past... Good to hear from you but What are you doing on the NH thread? I don't do to much on the rest of the site anymore. I used to but no time. back then I was still watching my little ones who are now big ones, this year I have one graduating college and one graduating High school getting ready for college. I am and have been back to work full time (except for now still recovering from the surgery) but 5 hrs a day should be back to full time in 2 weeks.

I wish the sap would get going but too cold!!!

I was at the rollinsford winter farmers market on sat not for me for my wife and cathedral Ledge distillery from canterbury. was there. they have a maple vodka thats pretty good. I am not a fan of vodka but its pretty good my wife got me it for xmas I think she likes it more than me. but they had a Bourbon that, well they gave bourbon barrels to a maple sugarhouse (certified organic) and they aged maple syrup in it. then they took the barrels back and finished a batch of bourbon in it. its really good and unique. it has a spicey bourbon front then had a slight maple sweet finish really good. just figured I would share.
    Last edited by red maples; 02-19-2024 at 04:52 PM.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Quote Originally Posted by red maples View Post
    OH yes Haynes that a blast from the past... Good to hear from you but What are you doing on the NH thread? I don't do to much on the rest of the site anymore. I used to but no time. back then I was still watching my little ones who are now big ones, this year I have one graduating college and one graduating High school getting ready for college. I am and have been back to work full time (except for now still recovering from the surgery) but 5 hrs a day should be back to full time in 2 weeks.
    Not on the NH thread, but this time of year will check in to see new posts.
    Yours was in the "new post" area and I recognized the name...
    You, like many, aren't very active anymore, but it's always good to read what you have to say.
    Take care and hope you have a great season.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

you too John...

Well looking at the long range forecast (I know you can't put much stake in it ) not good! Not good at all! too warm not many freezing nights. stupid Rodent that thinks he's a meteorologist... I hope it changes. Maybe need to start looking at January tapping for next year.
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

looking back to last year I was already at 40+ gallons this time last year. so far I have roughly 15 gallons. 2 completely different februarys. next week looks very good but the following week looks a little warm. its a bit far out to be any kinda of accurate but we'll have to see even tomorrow's forecast doesn't seem accurate anymore.

some how the sap actually ran a little. I think because the sun was warm and anywhere the sun was hitting was enough to get some dripping. was windy and hovered around 33/34. 2 day total was about 260 gallons low sugar. so I squeezed it out and freshened up the pans made a few gallons and got the pans freshened up. gonna try and get the back pan filtered today its not really that dirty but I wanna get the niter out before it gets rolling this week.

tapping the buckets today. have about 25 or so. no big deal but wanted to wait to get those in. especially since this looks like its gonna be a warm march the less time the bucket taps are in the better for bacteria build up.

only 9F here this morning not expecting a huge sap flow today. but its coming...
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

Well had one of my biggest runs ever with about 1200 gallons of sap. Sugar is VERY low across the board. Vacuum sap is only about 1 to 1.25% and even buckets on the big sugars is usually between 2 and 3 percent was only 1.75 it usually is enough to boost the sugar in the raw sap. I though it was gonna be more but only made just shy of 18 gallons.

Had a hose starting to fail on the RO. so it was leaking pretty bad put a bucket under the drip was only able to get to 13% for concentrate. Was a little longer to boil. thankful for the day of freeze up so I could run around to find a replacement. the only thing I could do was to put together a braided hose with sharkbite attachments. I will get some better stuff in the off season and get a few replacements for back up, not if but when they fail.

well last frezze up was last night only got to 30*F but was for a long time. Temps for me are NOT in favor of maple looks like it will be about 5 days before the next freeze. Depending on what weather you look at Accuweather is more favorable than the weather channel. but I find the weather channel to be more accurate than accuweather.

Well goodluck everyone!!! hope you get lots of sap before the flow goes away!!!
    may your sap be at 3%
    Brad

300gph H2O RO
    husquvarna 562 XP

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast