+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tapped in the Berkshires

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Road Maples View Post
    Question is it just too late to hope for quality sap? 26 Taps with 5 gallon buckets, I tapped early Feb 5th ish and I have collected about 240 gallons of sap, avg. 9.3 gallons per tap. Some of the smaller trees seem to be done. In Richmond MA.... A Rookie.
    Michael
    Hi Michael, and welcome!

Is it too late? Well if your trees aren't budding, and the weather is still giving you nights below freezing, then it's just a matter of your trees. At this point it's probably getting close to the end, but there will be a lot of variability. In my experience, open taps, and taps that get a lot of sun, dry up first. Taps with tubes on them and taps on the north side of trees tend to dry up later. If you're still having fun, and the sap is flowing, go ahead and keep at it. I've tapped into early April many years, so that's not out of the question.

Cheers,

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by bigschuss View Post
    Sorry for the late reply on this Gabe. Yeah...I hear you. Whenever I start thinking about "have to's" and "should haves" I always remember this is just a hobby for me. If I get sick of it half way through and want to call it quits despite more good runs I just call it quits. I never want it becoming a burden.

I drained my pan last weekend and finished the sweet and ended up with 7.5 gallons of syrup over a very short 3 week season. Boiled right around 380 gallons of sap.

Blair
    I think there are two issues for me that make it hard for me. One is that I was raised not to waste, and I feel like if good sap is running on the ground... And the other is that I feel competitive with myself - trying to have the best season I can. I'd even take that a step further to say that I feel a note of pride when I make a ton of syrup for the number of trees I'm tapping, without vacuum. That comes from hard-won experience about know which trees to tap, when to tap them, etc. So I'm letting myself down if I don't make the best of it.

That said, I can also forgive myself for moving on to other priorities, especially when the wife and kid want to have nothing to do with syruping.

GO
    All on buckets

Thanks Gabe,
    That is helpful and encouraging, I think I will let it go through most of next week. It looks promising as for the weather and I am using tubes into five gallon buckets. I will start pull some of the light producers and see how it goes throughout the week. I collected 40 gallons yesterday and it was mostly nice and clear. Will do my third finishing boil tonight with any luck. I am interested to see how it grades out, the sweet in the pan is significantly darker than my earlier batches. Definitely having fun with it!
    Michael

Wondering: This past week I boiled 120 gallons over 3 boils with a 2 day break between the 2nd and 3rd boil. It looked a little darker while boiling than my earlier batches. I cooked it down to 1&1/2 inches in the pan and let it sit overnight. I finished it the next evening and I got 1.4 gallons of syrup. It taste great but is quite dark and the amount of black sludge in my filter was stunning. The sap went through some hoops before it got in the pan. 60 gallons were frozen for 2 weeks and then 40 were refrigerated for a week at 33 degrees and then I boiled it all over 3 days/boils adding another 20 fresh gallons of sap. Is this just too much to hope for a medium or light amber syrup? I know later in the season it will be darker but I feel like the way the sap was handled as described probably was not the best practice. Why did store it for so long? I tried to sneak a trip to Myrtle Beach in for a couple weeks of golf. So I guess the question is can leaving the sweet in the pan and then coming back to it for multiple boils yield a lower quality syrup. I never reached the draw off stage with this batch of syrup in the evaporator. The hottest it got was 4 degrees or so. My previous one I did draw off at 8 degrees and that syrup was a nice light amber. I had a great week collecting this week and I got 50 gallons on Thursday night and expect another 50 today. I am just going to boil all of this and then finish it and see if I get a better result. It has been bright and clear with no yellow tinge to it.

Hi Folks, sorry for the late reply, worklife called.

Still haven't boiled the sweet but have 5.5 ready for bottling and will get a bit more than a gallon from that so a little over the .25 estimate. Not too shabby. Finished scrubbing the buckets today (they were thoroughly rinsed already), and lids tomorrow. Then tank and pan before bottling.

433 gallons collected and 6.75 gallons puts me at 64.15 per gallon of syrup in 9 boils. 2 good weeks of sap with 151 and 197, 2 weeks of ice and 2 weeks of hot.
    2024 - Starting with the 25 then more late Feb.
    2023 - 25 taps on 11 trees to focus on the process. 9 Gallons and lots of sugar sand. 35 people over for breakfast in April
    2022 - 8 x 14 sugarhouse and a steam bottler. 50 buckets! 9 Gallons syrup and 4 pounds of sugar
    2021 - 20 x 30 divided pan on a Mason arch, 34 taps and 8 gallons for family and friends to judge. Dad hooked as well.
    2020 - 2 taps, 1/2 pint on a turkey fryer, About 3/4 pint syrup in two weeks - Proof of concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Road Maples View Post
    Wondering: This past week I boiled 120 gallons over 3 boils with a 2 day break between the 2nd and 3rd boil. It looked a little darker while boiling than my earlier batches. I cooked it down to 1&1/2 inches in the pan and let it sit overnight. I finished it the next evening and I got 1.4 gallons of syrup. It taste great but is quite dark and the amount of black sludge in my filter was stunning. The sap went through some hoops before it got in the pan. 60 gallons were frozen for 2 weeks and then 40 were refrigerated for a week at 33 degrees and then I boiled it all over 3 days/boils adding another 20 fresh gallons of sap. Is this just too much to hope for a medium or light amber syrup? I know later in the season it will be darker but I feel like the way the sap was handled as described probably was not the best practice. Why did store it for so long? I tried to sneak a trip to Myrtle Beach in for a couple weeks of golf. So I guess the question is can leaving the sweet in the pan and then coming back to it for multiple boils yield a lower quality syrup. I never reached the draw off stage with this batch of syrup in the evaporator. The hottest it got was 4 degrees or so. My previous one I did draw off at 8 degrees and that syrup was a nice light amber. I had a great week collecting this week and I got 50 gallons on Thursday night and expect another 50 today. I am just going to boil all of this and then finish it and see if I get a better result. It has been bright and clear with no yellow tinge to it.
    Three things:

1 - Yes, keeping your sap for a long time will produce darker syrup. As I understand it this happens both because the bacteria in the sap eat some of the sugar, resulting in having to boil a larger volume of sap to result in the same volume of syrup (so everything is more concentrated) and also because the bacteria converts some of the sugar to a type that caramelizes more as you evaporate.

2 - If I'm reading correctly, you batch-boiled. That means you keep adding sap to one batch, and it all finishes at the same time. Batch boiled syrup will be darker than syrup that goes through a pan with dividers, has a gradient, and is drawn off on one end as fresh sap is added to the other. This is because you are essentially adding fresh sap to syrup all the time as you batch boil, so the molecules of sugar get boiled longer.

3 - Unless you lost a lot of sap somewhere that you didn't mention, you had almost an 85:1 ratio of sap to syrup. That is very low sugar, and will result in a darker syrup.

All that said, many people (myself included) prefer a darker syrup, so don't feel bad.

Cheers,

GO
    All on buckets

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Stack View Post
    Hi Folks, sorry for the late reply, worklife called.

Still haven't boiled the sweet but have 5.5 ready for bottling and will get a bit more than a gallon from that so a little over the .25 estimate. Not too shabby. Finished scrubbing the buckets today (they were thoroughly rinsed already), and lids tomorrow. Then tank and pan before bottling.

433 gallons collected and 6.75 gallons puts me at 64.15 per gallon of syrup in 9 boils. 2 good weeks of sap with 151 and 197, 2 weeks of ice and 2 weeks of hot.
    Nice. Any season where you get over .25 gallons per tap is not bad, especially if you're averaging 64 gallons of sap per gallon of syrup!

I haven't even seriously started cleanup. So many other priorities. Oh man, it's gonna suck. LOL

Cheers!

GO
    All on buckets