+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old Post Maple 2024

Default Old Post Maple 2024

OK, it is about that time. 2024 is going to be a good year… I hope. I feel like last year I ended up with an OK year based on how rough a season it was weatherwise.
    This year I have some new plans. I am going to attempt to put a tag on each tree, so I can try and keep track of what trees give as far as yield, and sugar content. I also am going to either upgrade my RO bucket with the kit to the RB15, or just get a new one if my membranes are no good. IF I get a new one, I was thinking I can run it through the RB15 at 16GPH then run it through my older RB10 to get that concentrate up to 8-10%.
    I was hoping to get a filter press this year, but I think that is going to wait this year. I am going to try filtering a LOT more this season, each time I draw off. I did not last year and I think that is part of why it was so hard at the end of the season to filter it. If this works, I won’t bother for now, if it doesn’t ill consider it next season. May be time to start thinking about building that propane setup with different burners.
    I am thinking about making a grill that has burners all along the channels in my divided pan instead of the 3 big turkey friers. I feel like there is a lot of wasted heat and it would benefit from being closer to the pan. I feel like I need to figure out how to insulate the pan and grill (without cutting off air of course) first.
    After running about 4 gallons of distilled water through my RO, it seems ok, it’s pretty clear and does not smell bad. I think the smell was just the membrane preservative from last year. I am going to make a 1x pass of 5 gallons to try and flush the rest of it out, then run 1 new fresh gallon through and test it. I may tap 1-2 trees just to get something to test the flavor of. If it comes out a foul, I am going to get a new Bucket since I am going to add a membrane either way.
    Also, l got my tags (1-100) that I can attach via ziptie. I am getting a new 3D printer soon, so next season I can print my own tags with a QR code ono them to try and make keeping track of / entering the data easier. That is the one part I am NOT really looking forward to this year because I am going to go every day, whether there is good weather or not. I want to get more accurate info than last season. It was a good start, but not great. Each year, you just do a LITTLE better than the year before… fine tuning if you will.
    I have all my drop lines cut for my offsite sugarbush, and when I add the taps to it, I will figure out how I want to add the number tags. Probably going to just slide it over the tap which will make it super easy to add while I am taping.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

After my 1sts collection last night (about 80 gallons) I realized, there is no way I can keep track of all the taps individually, I just don’t have time when I collect. ½ of it I did in the dark as it was last night, I don’t want to do even MORE then.

I can’t wait until my little one is a couple years older and she can come help me. She just isn’t quite strong enough yet.
    I did get to RO it down to 64-65 gallons. I wanted to be able to fit all of it into my large tank and since I can’t boil until at LEAST later today, I don’t want to RO it all the way down. I will start to RO it today as soon as I get home and probably start to boil some. Maybe for 2-3 hours tonight, or at least as much as possible while I am clearing the driveway from the 8-12” of snow today. Going to pile it all around my 35-gallon tank so I can at least RO everything into that, that I can’t get done tonight. I am debating on just RO’ing all of it since it will only be 34 tomorrow. Outside, in the large tank, at 34 degrees should be fine for 18-20 hours.
    Also, I am supposedly getting my new parts for the RO today as well! I am debating on mounting it to a board. But not permanently. Then I can remove it to store in the bucket again. I haven’t decided yet though. It is REALLY convenient in the bucket.

So far I have about 57 taps at Carl’s and only 5 at mine. I went super light at my house since we have so many taps at his house and tbh, My trees hate me so there is that. I can handle about 50-55 taps I think. Once My buddy comes home he will start making his own also so 55-60 might work, but over 60, I am hoping no not have to dump anything on the ground like last year.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

+ Reply to Thread