+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ontario 2024

i remember the first year i ever tapped was in early April which does seem late compared to recent years. Anyway i have lots to
    do so i think i will skip this year. All the best for you guys hangin' in there. This week holds some promise!

It’s been quiet here since I finished up the last of my sap last Wednesday. A few cold days have hopefully given the trees time to reset a bit. I’m expecting that the sap will start to flow well again today and should continue for a few days at least. I’m seeing warm days and freezing days for the next week or more. And no buds on the sugars yet.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Couldn't understand why my test taps weren't running today. I pulled them and re-tapped and they are running great! I'm not
    making syrup this year but it's looking like there may still be enough time to start. I do know some others have had to re tap
    because their early taps had also healed over. But still i'm hearing reports of lo sugar this year. Last summer and autumn was dry
    and cool in my area so maybe that's why sugar is lo in some trees?

Trees are waking up today. A few on buckets produced over a gallon each while some just started to flow about an hour ago. Similar with those on vacuum… started slow this morning but increasing as day goes on. Maples are no where near budding out here too so anticipating a boil this week. We’ll see !

Ir333, when you say re-tap, are you drilling a new hole, or just reaming out the same hole drilled earlier this season?
    2x6 Waterloo pan on an antique Piette & Fils arch

2019 - 60 buckets, 85L of syrup, 2x4 pan outside
    2020 - 100 buckets, 105L of syrup, 2x6 flat pan in a Redi Rack Shack
    2021 - 137 buckets, 110L of syrup and a homemade RO (why didn't I do this sooner?)
    2022 - 154 buckets, 201L of syrup
    2023 - 166 buckets, 343L of syrup, cold sap float box, walking beam sap trailer, 4Walls vacuum filter

I have friends who tapped late Jan. and early Feb. They had some of their taps start to heal over and drilled new taps for better flow.
    I did the same and the newly drilled taps ran strong right away!The old holes did drip slowly but did not run. I checked last night at 10:30
    and the new taps were still running and again at 7:00 this morning and they are still running great!

All buckets full this morning and collection tank 3/4 full, and still running. No time to check sugar content but will later today. Looking at long range forecast and if the trees don't bud out (no where near that yet) my season so far may be just a preview of what's to come.

I collected 64 gallons yesterday at 2% sugar, today I collected 78 gallons still at 2% sugar. I didn't think it would drip last night. I tried to make myself a homemade RO but still haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet, so it'll be another busy day boiling.

Monday sap survey didn’t indicate a need to collect, so passed. Collected 90 gallons Tuesday, so making steam again today. It was hit and miss yesterday. Some pails empty, and others full.
    Big_Eddy
    Eastern Ontario (Quinte)
    20+ years on a 2x3 block arch,
    Homemade 20"x64" drop flue since 2011

Build a Block Arch
    Build a Flat Pan
    Build a Flue Pan
    Sweetening the Pans
    Build a Bending Brake
    Using a Hydrotherm
    How much Sap to Sweeten?

Eddy..How long ago did you tap?