+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Ontario 2024

The nitre is very fine this year.
    I drained my front pans today expecting to have to let them soak a day or two to get the nitre off. But it just hosed right out.
    Just a fine silt on the bottom. I’ll take it. Way easier then dealing with the baked on nitre like every other year. Even had time to drain the flue pan amd wash it out as well. Usually do them on separate days.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Boiled all day Saturday and today…. Kinda exhausted really. But all caught up and weather is shaping up to deliver another run tomorrow and Tuesday.

Have a problem though…. We have a Lapierre 2*6 Vision with deluxe pans - this is our 4th year with it and have loved it. Performance is way down though this year. Typically average 20+ gph but this year we’re getting only 12 gph when running optimally. Have a tough time maintaining a good boil in sap pan today and noticed a lot of creosote buildup under the pans. Did some research and I’m thinking I need to replace gaskets, insulation in key spots and will inspect the chimney (I have not done any of this since I installed it, new). And I noticed this year some ‘gaps’ in pan and door gaskets.

Wood is dry. Split to wrist diameter. Load at regular intervals and do so quickly .

Am I on the right track with gasket replacement etc ?

Thanks.

All those things are great improvements and will help with your boil.
    Does your evaporator have forced draft ?

This is my first year with our new 2.5 x 10 Venturi and after 3 boils I installed a digital stack thermometer. What a difference when you know what’s going on.
    I was able to know what temp the flue pan stops boiling at and keep that my lowest point I never want to get to. Then watch the temp and set a goal of 900 degrees. Once it started trending down from that number of found the sweet spot that allowed me to open door throw wood in and close door before getting down to the kill boil number.
    Before we had this it was just a guessing game and we fired every 7 minutes.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Thanks.

No forced air, natural draft. That said the fire would torch quite easily first few years, telling me it was very air tight. Not so anymore.

And yes, I will add a stack thermo for the good reasons you say.

Thanks again.

Couple other factors that effect boil other then the things mentioned.
    Cleaning the underside of your syrup pans in the off-season. I used to do the flue pan too but can’t do that anymore. So I bought a flue brush the other day and it’s not easy to get in there but it made a difference for sure.
    Also I’ve noticed that boiling on a gloomy rainy day is not as efficient as boiling on a nice day. Seem to be able to get a better boil rate on nicer days. Barometric pressure must have something to do with it.
    Cleaning the nitre out of your syrup pans in between boils helps as well. Once it gets baked on it will affect your boil rate.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Make sure you do not have ash buildup under your flue pan or under the stack base. It sounds as if you have restricted draft as you are not getting enough air.
    Smoky Lake 2x6 dropflu pans and hoods on homemade arch
    Smoky Lake 6 gallon water jacked bottler
    Concentric Exhaust
    250 Deer Run RO
    325 taps

Thank you or sharing your ideas all.

Started draining pans. Once I have them off will check all - chimney, stack base etc.

Had to order the gasket for bottom of pans. Absolutely no insulation to be found, that white stuff. Completely sold out and CDL told me they likely won't get any until after the season. BUT ! I was able to find a piece that was left over from install and that will go across bottom of sap pan to direct heat within arch into the flue's (raised flue).

Did not turn vacuum on today. Will do so tomorrow - looks promising.

Anyone getting a good run today ?

A few drops today. Too windy..

Friday was ok. almost 90Gal from 77 taps. didn't run over night, nothing sat/sun.
    Batch boiling 100+ taps on my homemade AUF arch
    Family of 7 that puts syrup on everything

I turned my pumps on at 12:30 today and sap was comming in good. Sun is strong today.
    Usually wait around for the first couple releaser dumps after a good freeze up. Sometimes there is a surge of ice and the releaser Dosnt like that.

You can use rockwool ( mineral fibre insulation ) if you are in a pinch. The 1.5” stuff from Home Depot works great.
    I used it in our old arch for years and had no problems at all. Lasts forever and does just as good of job as the blanket. And it’s cheaper.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Good to know about that rockwool. I was at HD today and that's all they had and didn't buy it... but like I said I found some that'll do the trick.

Buckets - maybe a couple - are slowly running the others are dry. Just now I turned on the vacuum pump and was running really good... But that could just be sap in the lines, I'll check later to see how it's really doing. Windy and feels cooler than it is, but sunny.

Jeez ! I have to own this one, not doing proper maintenance on the arch etc. What I'm doing now will hopefully solve the problem but complete go over is on the list of things to do after the season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast