+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Data help

Post Data help

I THINK this is the right section :-p

So, I want to do a little data collection. I have 35-40 trees, that I tap with a total of about 50 taps. I used the saptapapp last year for totals, however I was thinking I want to get some MORE data. I am getting tags to hang on each tap. Here is my question…
    Does anyone know the best way to be able to scan a tag, whether it is a barcode, QR code, or NFC tag? I am putting 1 on each tap, and marking the outside of each bucket every CM (I know I know, a TON of work) or I’ll bring a stainless 18-24” ruler (not preferred) to measure. I have figured out the calculations already based on OZ per CM and taken the tapered bucket into account. I don’t mind using my phone to scan each one, I just do not know how to easily add it to a sheet without manually going to each line while I am in the woods.
    Kind of want to be able to convince the guy who’s house I tap at, that we should do a vacuum and I think showing him the data may help.
    I also am just interested in collecting data with the weather, Barometric pressure, Temps, humidity, all that stuff. Probably will amount to nothing, but I like doing that kind of data stuff. I would not consider it if I had many more taps, but I feel like it may be worth it, just for the fun of it. I can look at data like that while I am boiling this season.
    2020 - 1st year - 14 taps 1 Gallon Jugs + 4x 5-Gallon Buckets + Propane Grill + lots of headaches
    2021 - 2nd year - 19 Taps (and some free sap from a friend in the same town!) 145 or so OZ
    2022 - 3rd year - 46 taps (3 at home, 2 at neighbors, 38 at friends, and 3 at work) added ROBucket RB10, and Silver Creek 18x34x6 Divided Maple Syrup Pan w/warming Pan+Valve+Thermometer 6 Gallons 6 OZ!
    2023 And we grow some more... Starting with OldPostMaple.com!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessPoet View Post
    I THINK this is the right section :-p

So, I want to do a little data collection. I have 35-40 trees, that I tap with a total of about 50 taps. I used the saptapapp last year for totals, however I was thinking I want to get some MORE data. I am getting tags to hang on each tap. Here is my question…
    Does anyone know the best way to be able to scan a tag, whether it is a barcode, QR code, or NFC tag? I am putting 1 on each tap, and marking the outside of each bucket every CM (I know I know, a TON of work) or I’ll bring a stainless 18-24” ruler (not preferred) to measure. I have figured out the calculations already based on OZ per CM and taken the tapered bucket into account. I don’t mind using my phone to scan each one, I just do not know how to easily add it to a sheet without manually going to each line while I am in the woods.
    Kind of want to be able to convince the guy who’s house I tap at, that we should do a vacuum and I think showing him the data may help.
    I also am just interested in collecting data with the weather, Barometric pressure, Temps, humidity, all that stuff. Probably will amount to nothing, but I like doing that kind of data stuff. I would not consider it if I had many more taps, but I feel like it may be worth it, just for the fun of it. I can look at data like that while I am boiling this season.
    Don't forget to measure sugar content from each bucket when you collect.

I actually do track data for all my trees (down to the 1/4 gallon, not down to the oz). I have a map that tells me the number of each tree I collect from, and as I'm collecting I write down the stats for each tree, and then transfer it to a spreadsheet when I get home. I do this because I'm kind of anal, but also because I have way more trees than I want to tap. So I keep stats on how well each tree does (volume of sap and sugar percent). Helps me figure out just the best trees to tap.

GO
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Something I haven't done but have been thinking of doing, is using a handheld luggage scale to measure each bucket. I figured it would be simpler than trying to measure the height of the fluid in each bucket. I can easily go from weight to volume. The weight of the empty bucket would be constant and could be removed from the measurement.
    2015 - 8 buckets, 332L sap, 8.5L syrup - Barrel evaporator, 2 steam pans
    2016 - 8 buckets, 432L sap
    2017 - 10 bags, 470L sap, 9L syrup
    2018 - 20 bags, 1050L sap, 17.6L syrup
    2019 - 20 bags, 970L sap, 22.2L syrup
    2020 - 17 bags, 813L sap, 17L syrup

+ Reply to Thread