+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Season

Default 2024 Season

Our business is in SE MN. Wondering what everyone is thinking about the predicted mid-winter warm up and tapping? Predicting 2 full weeks of highs in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. I’m concerned about tap hole health for the normal run.

I’m in west-central Wisconsin wondering the same thing. I’ve only been syruping for a few years, but I’m currently inclined to wait until late February like I have in the past. The forecast sure looks promising for next week, though.

I'm seeing competing models for me south of Mille Lacs. One model says warm up, the other says we got a week of 30s but it gets quite cold again. I'd hold off, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by dew042 View Post
    I'm seeing competing models for me south of Mille Lacs. One model says warm up, the other says we got a week of 30s but it gets quite cold again. I'd hold off, personally.
    Alright, never-mind. Hold my beer, I'm tapping tmw. Looking like a solid week and half window. Going to pick some big silvers so I can put another tap in later if the season goes long. I also predict a nearly floodless spring on the Rum River, we had a flood and rain in December and basically no snow.

Quote Originally Posted by dew042 View Post
    Alright, never-mind. Hold my beer, I'm tapping tmw. Looking like a solid week and half window. Going to pick some big silvers so I can put another tap in later if the season goes long. I also predict a nearly floodless spring on the Rum River, we had a flood and rain in December and basically no snow.
    I just tapped today (I'm in St Paul) and they started running right away. Sad for the trees I think.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleMandy View Post
    I just tapped today (I'm in St Paul) and they started running right away. Sad for the trees I think.
    My sugar-bush was still frozen, but its close. Tapped and waiting on the first 15.

Put 90 taps in this past weekend. Subday evening all were "running." Looking forward to making syrup this weekend. In 2017, we made syrup on Feb. 10th. The eariest we've ever made syrup. This weekend should beat that personal record by one week. Crazy weather! Our peak time here in South central MN is usually about St. Patrick's Day.

I am in Princeton, I am going to put in taps this afternoon and see how it looks. Looking at the forecast, we are looking at 2 weeks of warm tapping weather.

Looking at the forecast, I fear it might actually be too warm:/ From my 4 little taps I've gotten at least 6L so far but .....

I tapped my maples on Sun. 1-28-24. I collected sap today and have averaged 2 gal per tree. I tapped 25 black walnuts on Tues. 1-30-24 and they are flowing rather well. Black walnuts are not as generous with the sap as maples and I have not collected the BW sap yet. The weather forecast looks good for the next 10-12 days in the SW metro area and then we may be in for a 2 week cold snap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast