+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: CV Spouts - Still Preferred?

Default CV Spouts - Still Preferred?

Is there any current published research showing non check-valve spouts performing better than check valve spouts and if so, under what circumstances?

We're having a discussion about whether to continue using CV spouts, but I don't see anything suggesting anything other than CV spouts.

[We have been using Check Valve Spouts for many years. We try to remain aware of current research to make sure our methods are keeping up with current knowledge. I have been hearing people talk about other spout options performing better than CV Spouts, but I can't seem to find any published research showing it.]

Thank you, Chris

Interested too, currently running the CV's and will for this upcoming season. Very interested in the new UVM curved spouts though from a production cost as well as spout cost.
    2X4 Mason XL
    4x40 RO Bucket kit
    338 on shurflows and 30 buckets

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by cray54 View Post
    I have been hearing people talk about other spout options performing better than CV Spouts, but I can't seem to find any published research showing it.]
    You can’t find what doesn’t exist. The last research comparing CV spouts to regular spouts was by Dr Mike Rechlin (WV) a few yrs ago and published in The Maple News. This was with 3/16” tubing. Same results as almost every other scientific study done by Cornell or UVM. CV is almost always better than anything except complete replacement of spout and dropline, but over a 3-yr replacement schedule of drops, the CV typically comes out ahead of replacement economically. The only other comparable approach is bleach, but that is costly in terms of labor, plus squirrel issues and having to either rinse or let first sap run on the ground.
    Last edited by DrTimPerkins; 01-11-2024 at 07:34 PM.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Quote Originally Posted by DrTimPerkins View Post
    You can’t find what doesn’t exist...
    That is encouraging, I thought I might be missing something!

Within the CV lineup, has there been any comparison between Check Valve Spouts and Check Valve Adapters w/ Stubby Spouts?

Thank you, Chris

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by cray54 View Post
    Within the CV lineup, has there been any comparison between Check Valve Spouts and Check Valve Adapters w/ Stubby Spouts?
    Results are almost identical. Extremely small "stubby" effect, but not enough to produce a noticeable or significant different in yield. Preference is typically the biggest determining factor. Some people like the stubby/adapter system, others like to replace the entire spout.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Results are almost identical... Preference is typically the biggest determining factor. Some people like the stubby/adapter system, others like to replace the entire spout.
    It occurs to me that there may be significantly more labor involved with complete spouts - possibly needing to be pressed on with a tool, whereas the adapters can be installed easily while tapping. Are the spouts for 5/16 and 3/16 line usually requiring a tool to install, or are they designed to be pressed on while tapping?

Thank you, Chris
    Last edited by cray54; 01-12-2024 at 12:48 PM.

I used to use the stubby w/ CV adapter system, but then I switched to seasonal's CV's.

I do find that tapping in, and pulling taps, does take a bit longer with the seasonal's. It only takes a second to seat the adapter on the stubby and then hit it into the tree which locks them together. Seasonals require a tool to get it onto the spout
    Josh

2009 - 370 on vac. & 16 buckets
    2010 - 377 on vac.
    2011 - 590 on vac.
    2012 - 620 on high vac., 170 buckets, 110 on gravity tubing
    2013 - 830 mine + 800-1000 others
    2014 - 870 mine + 800-1000 others
    2017 - 920 mine + 500-700 others
    2018 - 902 mine + 500-700 others
    2019 - 902 mine + 700 others
    2020 - 902 mine + ???? others
    Atlas Copco Pump
    2.5'x8' 802maple Special with Dallaire pans
    H2O Innovation 600gph RO
    Spring Harvest Website

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    ...It only takes a second to seat the adapter on the stubby and then hit it into the tree which locks them together...
    That is interesting, we always avoided hitting the stubby. We would hammer the adapter in first, and then do a 1/4 turn press to seat the stubby.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gold View Post
    ...Seasonals require a tool to get it onto the spout
    Thank you for letting me know. I decided to get just a few and try them out. I don't like the idea of needing a tool (especially when we usually have more tappers than tools), but I figure it is worth trying. If a tool wasn't needed, I think we would switch over completely right away.

Results are almost identical...
    With this in mind, I picked up a mix this year to try them out.

Is there any guidance for how far before tapping the spouts can be installed on drops and left hanging (It looks like it would have to be a separate operation for us)?

This thread makes me curious the status of those barbed spouts.
    Last I knew they were in trial.
    Anything on general market yet? And will they be CV, non, or available both ways? And from who?
    I recognize it might be too early for these questions.
    Just curious. (Won't apply to me anytime soon with my drops to buckets)
    Andy
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast