+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get started on the cheap?.....kind of.

Default how to get started on the cheap?.....kind of.

Ok so a little about me and my set-up so far.

Location is in Ontario Canada, just outside of Ottawa. I've got 8 acres of thinned out Maple trees that are majority mature(min around 10" and largest around 30").

I bought the property and live here, the former owner was an operator of a sugar bush with a oil fired evaporator(since sold) and has a concrete floor sugar bush building with a 1000gal stainless steel storage tank, up to date oil tank(with some oil), about 200 taps, some finishing pans, 50ish stainless buckets, 200ish galvanized buckets, and about 10 lids(lol). The building is set up with 2 storage tanks and plumbed in with valves to attach to an evaporator in it. buidling was purpose built with large venting above(ie the sides of the roof open wide)

So I looked and looked for a cheap option for evaporator to suit my needs:
    Found a complete 3X12 unit that I hauled home with intent to cut up and make fit my needs. After lots of research on it I came to find out its a Old Grimm Champion Arch from what I can only figure out is from the late 1800's with updated syrop pans from 1959.

It was just too much to deal with so ended up letting it go to someone that will use it as is.

So now where to turn? How to get moving soonish on production and boiling with a good evaporator.

Only items I currently have are finished square pans, filters, bottles etc. Can I pick up some steam line pans and use them on the wood stove to boil? Will I get any type of finished product in a timely manner?

I don't want to drop $5k+ on a set up out of the gate but also don't want to start off too premitive.

Any advice accepted.

Whew, that's a big question, but a fun one! Just what we need to get some lively discussion going!
    That's a good problem to have that you've got there... having lots of maple trees and wondering how to make best sugaring use of them.

I would say its going to be a scramble to get from here to a 2024 sugaring season to the full potential of your propery but if you're doing buckets you've probably got 2 months before you start drilling where you are (guessing on that one... the old timers in your area will give you the skinny on when to tap for buckets).

Throwing together a cinder block arch and plopping a vevor 2x3 pan on it might be one way to get your feet wet this year, if you've got some seasoned firewood for it. Do your finishing in a smaller but taller pan over propane. Or if you want to use your oil look for something like a Leader half-pint that burns oil.

Ultimately you want to decide what your goals are, how many taps your sugarbush can support and how many of those do you actually want to tap. If more than 50 you will want to at least think about setting up lines, and if over 100 or 200, almost certainly so, decide on fuel, and decide on your setup from there. But I think that's a 2025 season goal.

But for 2024, making some syrup on some small scale is totally do-able. Normally you'd think goal to sugarbush to setup, but for 2024 you might just grab or build some kind of arch (a barrel arch could be an option too) and let whatever setup you get ahold of determine how many buckets you hang for this year.

That's just a quick start to what I hope becomes a lively discussion!

Andy
    Last edited by Andy VT; 01-08-2024 at 09:48 PM.
    2024: 28 taps, 7 gallons. RB5 purchased but not opened :-(
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    2021: 2 taps, 1 sugar maple. Propane grill then kitchen finish. ~Pint.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

If you're on Facebook, there's a buy/sell group called Ontario Maple syrup Equipment buy/sell there. They have various things come up for sale. There's also a group Ontario backyarder maple syrups group which have some good information and are good to let you know when to tap in your area so you don't start too early or too late. You will also see a post on here called eastern Ontario 2024 that will get lively when the season gets close.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

This is tricky; cheap is tough!

If you really are thinking about doing it over the long term, with 200 taps, I'd probably progress like this to spread out costs.

1. 2x6 arch with a flat pan. Get going with some # of taps, 50-100 at most. That evaporator would keep up. See how things go. Learn.
    2. Expand or streamline the operation. You'll be sick of buckets right away. You'll probably want to look at tubing and shurflo setup(s) if things are flat or 3/16 if you have slope. See how it goes; as sap production would increase over buckets.
    3. RO - Bigger RO bucket or single post setup. Would allow you to keep using that 2x6 and then expand taps to cover all 200 available. You could also switch to a raised/drop flue pan depending on the arch and likely keep up without an RO. RO is just easier and more cost effective though.

Not cheap, but ease of operation is worth it and you'll find ways to be more efficient. Floats for the pan, auto-draw, other automation. Lots of rabbit holes to go down, but don't be in a rush. Learn, take notes, and read, read, read.
    42.82N
    2015 - Small operation. 25 buckets. One excited 5 year old and one 35 year old that feels 5 again.
    2016 - One year older. New Homemade 2x4 Arch, Smoky Lake Pan and looking at 52 maples, 17 box elders and 2 walnut trees.
    2017 - Shurflo 4008 hooked to 42 stingy silver maples and a few Norways. A couple buckets on sugars and Norways. 10 box elders.
    2018 - ...a few more taps.
    2019 - ...more taps on 3/16 gravity. This spiral is heading downward in a hurry.
    2020 - 4x400 RO - RB20 (uh-oh!)

Thanks all for the advice and information.

Currently looking at a dauntless evaporator, flat pans but for this year I may just build a brick outdoor set up over an open fire and see how it goes with steam pans or similar. I really don't think I'll be able to get into an evaporator in time to get it built, set up and flowing in the time I have available before the sap flows.

I'll run around 25 buckets this year on my easy to access trees and larger trees on the property and see what kind of flow I get. I'm excited to produce some and hope I can get 20l or more of syrup as that's about what I consume personally a year now.

My first year I boiled on a barrel evaporator I built with 2 steam pans outside. For boiling outside I recommend adding a wind break with a tarp, that greatly reduces the wind effect taking the boil away from your pan.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

I think I got my spouse on board with spending a little money to have a good pan set up and grow from there. I think I'll boil outside this year over a brick/home made set up with a continuous flow pan set to ensure I get some good stuff going.

Its shaping upto be a last minute deal but should get some syrup out of things maybe mid/late season if things go well. I still have to learn how to tap a tree for a tap and bucket, figure out how to collect sap and then how to boil it and make syrup.

I really hope to make about 20-30 liters of syrup this season which on about 20-30 buckets may be a stretch for a newbie but I've always been ambitious in new things.

Sounds good, you can do it! You've got time to get set up to make some syrup this year as a practice run for a bigger future year.
    You won't be late either, or at least you don't need to be.
    Around here the time to tap for buckets is around March 1 to March 7, and you're north of us.
    Starting out the most common mistake I think is to get over excited and tap too early.
    This year I'm seeing it bad on the facebook groups. Winter seems mild, plus they hear about the big guys with vacuum getting tapped, and people start drilling. It might be time now in Kentucky but not in the traditional maple belt. Wait till your traditional start time, and only let the weather move you one week in or out.
    2023: 30 taps, 17 trees, 11 properties, Sugar Maple & Norway. 2x3 flat over propane & kitchen finish. ~11(!) gallons.
    2022: 9 taps, 5 trees, 4 properties. 3 hotel pans on 3 Coleman 2-burner stoves burning gasoline; kitchen finish. ~3 gallons.
    All years: mainly 5/16" drops into free supermarket frosting buckets. Some plastic sap buckets hanging on 5/16 sap-meister.

Why are you thinking of an outside operation if you have a sugarhouse? The sugarhouse is the most expensive part of establishing an operation, aside from land. Buy a used 2x4 rig and build upon the sugarhouse - start figuring out how to make use of the existing tanks, plumbing, and general setup. Then figure out your future goals specifically to the number of taps. When you get that figured out take next year to move into a bigger rig.

just my 2 cents.
    Ken & Sherry
    Williston, VT
    16x34 Sugarhouse
    1,500 taps on high vacuum, Electric Releaser & CDL Sap Lifter
    Wood-Fired Leader 30"x10' Vortex Arch & Max Raised Flue with Rev Syrup Pan & CDL1200 RO
    https://www.facebook.com/pumpkinhillmaple/

Good point from Ken... might as well grab some kind of rig you can put in the sugarhouse. If it's there, why not?
    I've heard of cinder blocks in a sugarhouse but probably have to be quite careful with that.
    I think SSL Family Dad on youtube did it.
    If you can find an actual evaporator all the better. It'll re-sell well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast