+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 2024 Tapping Season

Late Run in the Thumb. The sugar maples we tapped last week all sent our buckets over flowing. Ended up with 1 gallon of syrup. Sap was 2%. This was our first boil in nearly 3 - 1/2 weeks. Sap was Clear to slightly cloudy. We would have had more but the gale force winds in the Thumb the last two days knocked down and over some buckets.

Next three nights still look favorable. Hoping to get out one last time on Saturday to pull the taps and boil anything left.

So far this season we are up to 4 gallons of syrup. Last year we did 3 gallons. With such a crazy weird weather this winter and spring, I'm happy with what we go and happy I stuck it out just a little bit longer. Buds on the Sugar Maples are still tight.
    2021 - First year: 4 taps; Tapped too late; 4.5 gallons of sap
    2022 - 11 taps; 20 gallons of sap
    2023 - 23 taps. 3 gallons of syrup; founded TruNorth Maple Co.
    2024 - 26 (+10) taps; 4.5 gallons of syrup; added RO filter

Pulled the taps on the remaining trees on March 30 in the Thumb. Older taps were not producing at all. The few additional Sugar Maples gave us about 30 gallons of sap. Hydrometer read 2%, but only made about nine, 8 1/2 oz bottles. Oddly the syrup was slightly lighter than what we produced just three days ago. Season total is probably going to be around 4 1/2 gallons of syrup. An increase for us, but not where I wanted to be this season.

Already planning for next year. Thinking about adding tubing on gravity on some sugar maples located on a nice slope. Identified additional sugar and silver maples. Might boost my RO filter to filter faster.

Otherwise, it being a weird year weather wise, I'm happy and learned more.
    2021 - First year: 4 taps; Tapped too late; 4.5 gallons of sap
    2022 - 11 taps; 20 gallons of sap
    2023 - 23 taps. 3 gallons of syrup; founded TruNorth Maple Co.
    2024 - 26 (+10) taps; 4.5 gallons of syrup; added RO filter

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567