+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2024 Tapping Season in CT

over here in S E Ct put in 40 more drop line/bucket today wet drilling for every tap,nice ,i'l finish with the rest tap/bucket tomorrow,
    2022,,140 dropline tap n,bucket ,,25 treehangers
    2021,,125 " " 25 tree hanger spile n pale
    2020,,R.O. triple filtering system
    2019,,85 dropline tap n bucket 55 gallon barrel stove,
    2'x3' evap with dbl on top pre-warming pans.
    2018,,60 tap n bucket dropline,propane burner
    2017,, 35 home made spile n jug ,propane burner

Collected 400? gallons yesterday morning and made first steam. Managed to sweeten the pan and still draw off a few gallons. Looks like this will be a good week.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

It's been a few years since I've done this, going to try again this year. I haven't tapped yet. Seems like temps are heading below freezing after next weekend. Should I wait, or try to tap immediately and get what this week has to offer. On buckets.
    2021 - 15 taps
    2020 - 20 taps, 2 gallons syrup
    2016 - 25 taps, 2.1 gallons syrup
    2014 - 14 taps, 1.1 gallons syrup

There is a really great week coming for sap runs - If it gets cold again next week, no problem, it will warm again. Better that than a prolonged warm spell. Just my 2 cents.

Hows everyone doing this week?
    I've been slower than expected....
    2024 - 160 taps, Shurflo 4048. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 Raised Flue. 5x400 RO.
    2023 - 121 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 20 gallons.
    2022 - 103 taps. Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 23 gallons.
    2021 - 77 taps on Shurflo 4008. Sap Sucker 4-D. Mason 2x4 XL, 4x150 RO. 22 gallons.
    2020 - 70ish taps on Shurflo 4008. Mason 2x4 XL. DIY R.O. ~24 gallons.

Huge, about 1 gal/sap/day each day. I’m at 1/2 the syrup I made last year and I’m still not fully tapped, and its early February ?!? 2%.

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    I have not tapped yet but would have tapped my tubing/vacuum taps at the start of last week if I had my act together. This has definitely been the weather make up of an extra early tap date. However, my plan is to start after next weeks "apparent" freeze up, assuming I can get things done. Considering making syrup is my favorite of my current activities/engagements, I should find a way.

I am not surprised at sap flows. I suspect my trees would give about the same flow rates as yours. I know temps have been ideal ... the freeze thaw cycles and all ... and wood temps ideal for flow ..,,, and I know there is no evidence that the angle of the sun in the sky has any effect on sap flow rates according to the VERY high IQ's at the research centers. But I still say the last week of January will never turn into the last week of February. At least not in our lifetimes or our children's, and at least not as far as the trees are concerned. No matter how hard we try to make it or wish it so.

If its flowing sap we are after, we all should have tapped late last fall, when the woodpeckers start tapping.

Hopefully you have made some good syrup from this first run. I wish I had. You are on vacuum/tubing runs. Keep them sealed as well as possible and be ready for the coming weeks.

As we know ... It's possible the sap flow will end for the season this weekend.

But do NOT bet a single penny on any odds that it will!
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
    I am not surprised at sap flows. I suspect my trees would give about the same flow rates as yours. I know temps have been ideal ... the freeze thaw cycles and all ... and wood temps ideal for flow ..,,, and I know there is no evidence that the angle of the sun in the sky has any effect on sap flow rates according to the VERY high IQ's at the research centers. But I still say the last week of January will never turn into the last week of February. At least not in our lifetimes or our children's, and at least not as far as the trees are concerned. No matter how hard we try to make it or wish it so
    Actually I would be very surprised to hear that there is no evidence for lower sap rate from researchers (given all else being equal) earlier in the season. Since it's the sun that makes it get warm, making the sap flow, of course we would see more sap from a longer day with stronger sun. I've certainly never seen the good doctor on here say anything to the contrary.

By the way, this is one of my pet theories about why sugaring is more lucrative the further north you go. The later you shift your sap season, the longer the days and the heavier the flow on sap days, due to longer days with stronger sun.

Cheers,

Gabe O
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps, 5.3 gals
    All on buckets

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by berkshires View Post
    Actually I would be very surprised to hear that there is no evidence for lower sap rate from researchers (given all else being equal) earlier in the season. Since it's the sun that makes it get warm, making the sap flow, of course we would see more sap from a longer day with stronger sun. I've certainly never seen the good doctor on here say anything to the contrary.

By the way, this is one of my pet theories about why sugaring is more lucrative the further north you go. The later you shift your sap season, the longer the days and the heavier the flow on sap days, due to longer days with stronger sun.

Cheers,

Gabe O
    No ... but I have heard the good doctor say that there is no evidence that the "angle of the sun" effects sap flow rates. And I certainly believe that and his research.

The "angle of the sun" is conveniently parallel with length of daylight in our system on our planet. The higher the angle the longer the daylight and Visa Versa. "Daylight length" and "angle of the sun" are synonymous terms on this scientific frontier. They are interchangeable with the system we rotate on. Warm temperatures and "Daylight length"/"Angle of the Sun" are not synonymous terms on our frontier. It's expected to get close to 60 degrees tomorrow but be cloudy. The sun, its angle and its duration have nothing or little to do with those 60 degrees at our cloud covered region.

But as Brian pointed out we have the warm temp days now and the warm wood temps with good freezing nights that we might expect in the first week of March but not the sap flow we expect and might get in the first week of March with the exact same weather/temps albeit slightly longer daylight/higher angle of the sun in the first week of March.

Seen it a time or two too many!

So, I propose that daylight length / angle of the sun "in and of itself" does effect/impact what the trees will decide to do. assuming appropriate ambient air and matter temperatures are already there.

No ... I have absolutely no evidence that is the case.

And I have no evidence that the planet we live on will not implode tomorrow.

So ..... I hope that gets my point across.

Sorry if it does not.
    Last edited by Sugar Bear; 02-09-2024 at 11:57 AM.
    If you think it's easy to make good money in maple syrup .... then your obviously good at stealing somebody's Maple Syrup.

Favorite Tree: Sugar Maple
    Most Hated Animal: Sap Sucker
    Most Loved Animal: Devon Rex Cat
    Favorite Kingpin: Bruce Bascom
    40 Sugar Maple Taps ... 23 in CT and 17 in NY .... 29 on gravity tubing and 11 on 5G buckets ... 2019 Totals 508 gallons of sap, 7 boils, 11.4 gallons of syrup.
    1 Girlfriend that gives away all my syrup to her friends.

Quote Originally Posted by bryankloos View Post
    I went and checked tanks and buckets last night expecting them to be overflowing. Not so. I expected to see 600 gallons and maybe I have 250-300. With luck I'll have 400+ to boil tomorrow but I guess we'll see in the morning.
    1980 - 6 taps, stone fire pit, drain pan evaporator, 1 pint of syrup
    2016 - 55 taps on 3/16 and gravity, new sugar shack, 2x3 Mason XL, 16 gallons of syrup
    2017 - 170 taps on 3/16, 2x4 Mason XL, NextGen RO. 50 gallons of syrup
    2018 - 250+ taps on gravity and buckets, 2x5 Smokey Lake arch and Beaverland pan.
    2019 - 250+ taps on gravity. A few buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.
    2020 - 300+ taps on gravity. 50 gallons of syrup.
    2021 - 280 taps on gravity and 40 buckets. 35 gallons of syrup.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast