+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North East Ohio 2024

Hybrid View

Default North East Ohio 2024

Ready for another season up here in NE Ohio.
    Have been working some in the sugar house but honestly haven't spent much time in the woods yet.
    Anyone made any big changes for this year?
    I'm pretty much status quo with new drops and taps planned and getting some windblown "stuff" off my lines.

Heard Fred has a line on a new "clear" candy machine...good to see him finally seeing the light
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Quote Originally Posted by johnallin View Post
    Ready for another season up here in NE Ohio.
    Have been working some in the sugar house but honestly haven't spent much time in the woods yet.
    Anyone made any big changes for this year?
    I'm pretty much status quo with new drops and taps planned and getting some windblown "stuff" off my lines.

Heard Fred has a line on a new "clear" candy machine...good to see him finally seeing the light
    Now he can probably see his lantern through the clear machine haha.

Added 450 taps at home woods, installed a second pump house, and got a new vac pump on the woods side.
    For the sugarhouse we got a lapierre glass bead filter that filters down to 3 microns, sometimes better. Excited to see how that works.
    Seldom Seen Farm
    Montville Ohio.
    Seldomseenmaple.com

2nd year for me, and I am super excited. Nowhere near the sophisticated level of many of individuals in NEohio but ready to get to work.

Last year I tapped 3 trees, and cooked with a turkey fryer, this year will be 20. using (3) 20x12x6 pans cooking with a 3burner propane camp stove.
    My 3y/o loves it and we were busy during the offseason looking/teaching her to identify red/sugar and silver trees. She helped clear more efficient paths as well to the trees.

Will follow on here to see when tapping should begin, but based on past Ohio years looks like a lot of you start setting up around 1st week-February, so I planned to at least start setting up around 2.5.24.
    2023- 3 taps, approx .25 gal

I'm going to heed the words of my teachers from back in the day when they said "there's no such thing as a dumb question" and "if you're wondering it chances are someone else is too". I understand I'm typing this in the middle of a winter storm, but is anyone looking at the next week or two for early tapping? Temps in the mid-upper 40s should bring us out of the deep freeze we've been in this week. Last year I tapped just over 1/3 of my trees on Jan. 22 and the rest a week or so later, and didn't regret it. I know that was an unseasonable warm winter, but it that seems to be the trend we've been heading in the last few years. Just wanted to get people's thoughts. Happy tapping whenever you choose to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by djhemme View Post
    but is anyone looking at the next week or two for early tapping?
    I was looking forward to the coming thaw and watching the forecast which seemed good until I looked again today. Except for AccuWeather (which seems to overly predict lower nighttime temps), all my weather sources show no temps below 30 for the next two weeks. It changes again every day though, but I don't like that trend.
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Will finish tapping tomorrow and start leak checks.
    Hopefully have syrup by the weekend.
    Seldom Seen Farm
    Montville Ohio.
    Seldomseenmaple.com

+ Reply to Thread