+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Any new pumps on the market for homemade RO w/ 5-400 GPD membranes?

Default Any new pumps on the market for homemade RO w/ 5-400 GPD membranes?

Hi all-

I have a home built five 400gpd membrane RO that currently is run by a Coronwater 8900K. Since the Coronwater pumps take a while to get delivered I thought I better get a backup in place just in case . (if it goes down during the season, the season will be over before a replacement shows up).

That got me thinking, has anything new hit the market or is this still the one to go with for my set up? Regardless I’m going to get a backup, just want to get the best choice.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

Hey Dave!
    I do not have an answer to your question BUT I do have a question for you regarding the Coronwater TYP-8900K pump. When I Google this pump, I see that it is available at a very attractive price at AliExpress of $47.91 and it initially appears with 'free shipping'; however, when I go into the AliExpress website a shipping charge of $42.88 is added bringing the cost up $90.79. If the order was doubled to two pumps, the shipping charge is now $72.82. When you ordered your Coronwater pumps were you able to secure the free shipping?

I have 4 of these pumps. Ordered 2 from Ali express originally and paid that shipping. Keep in mind total cost is still less than a lower flow aquatec.

Later I bought 2 more from coronwater store on ebay for slightly less total cost. They appear sold out now.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17609933175...mis&media=COPY
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press
    2021: 27.1 gallons
    2022: 35 gallons

Hi Fireant911,

When I purchased my typ 8900K I got it through AliExpress and encountered the same thing you did. The free shipping is not free. It’s approximately the same cost as the pump and ordering two doubles the shipping so there is no gain there. Also the total time for shipment is long. When I got mine, I placed the order on Dec 3rd and received it Feb 22nd. Now that was in 2022 and the supply chain was still pretty affected so your experience now may differ.

All that said, the pump did a great job for me last season and I’m anticipating another great year for it this year. For roughly $100 its performance is very good. Time will tell if it is durable.
    Last edited by 82cabby; 01-22-2024 at 09:08 PM.
    Sugaring since 2000.
    2022 - 113 taps on tubing and gravity. Homemade evaporator and RO.
    2023 - 120 taps on 5/16 and gravity added a float to the pan an built a new 5x400gpd RO

Quote Originally Posted by DRoseum View Post
    I have 4 of these pumps. Ordered 2 from Ali express originally and paid that shipping. Keep in mind total cost is still less than a lower flow aquatec.

Later I bought 2 more from coronwater store on ebay for slightly less total cost. They appear sold out now.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/17609933175...mis&media=COPY
    The very day that you posted this, I went to Ebay and set up a notification reminder when more arrived. Finally, six weeks later, more of the Coronwater Typ-8900K pumps appeared and I scored this somewhat elusive pump! This will give me the opportunity to get properly set up for the 2025 maple season. Thanks for the link!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fireant911 View Post
    Thanks for the link!!!
    Very welcome
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com
    ~100 taps on 3/16 custom temp controlled vacuum; shurflo vacuum #2; custom nat gas evap with auto-drawoff and tank level gas shut-off controller; homemade RO #1; homemade RO #2; SL SS filter press

DRoseum,
    I hope it is not bad etiquette for me to (again) derail 82cabby's original question (my apologies to you, 82cabby) but I have two questions regarding the Coronwater TYP-8900 pump.

1). The first question deals with the power supply wattage requirement. In looking at the attached label on the 8900 pump, it states that the maximum current is equal to of less than 7.0 amps. I googled the volt/amp/watt relationship and saw that amps x volts = watts... so for the Coronwater TYP-8900 pump operating at 24 volts and a max of 7.0 amps that the wattage is 168 watts therefore a 200 amp power supply should be proper for this application - is that sufficient (with a 19% 'safety' margin) or should I step up to the next size, a 24 volt 300 watt power supply (which would have a 78.5% 'safety' margin). I understand that the power supply itself will only supply the needed wattage - is there any advantage of having a cushion so that the power supply is NOT working close to its maximum rated wattage?

2). The second question is on the electrical connector that comes on the Coronwater TYP-8900 pump. It looks to be something like a two-wire female quick connect-type fitting. Are these 'generic'... meaning that is this something that a general hardware store carries or is the one on this pump a version that only mates with one specifically designed and unique for the Coronwater pumps? Also, is this 16-gauge wire on the pump?

Sorry for my overly specific questions BUT you ARE the Coronwater TYP-8900 pump expert!!!

82cabby,
    In an attempt to veer this thread back on course... have you received your Coronwater TYP-8900 pump yet?

Yeah 200 W might be fine, I think the price to go to 250W or 300W is minimal and opted to go higher since I didn't want to overload the power supply. I really like these waterproof ones: https://a.co/d/9T23w1F

I believe its 14 guage wire on the pump and I just cut off the connector and put on my own weatherproof one (like one you can get at an auto parts store or on amazon).
    https://a.co/d/eSxejPr
    D. Roseum
    www.roseummaple.com

Dan,
    Thanks for the info, and again, thanks for sharing your wisdom!!! I never even saw the 250W power supply. I agree, the price difference is minimal between the 200W and a beefier unit so I will upgrade.

Ali express has type 8900K pumps on sale, I just oerdered 2 more.

+ Reply to Thread