+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maple Syrup Lost its Taste?

Default Maple Syrup Lost its Taste?

What do you all think of this article?
    Apparently world demand for maple syrup is way down.
    This article suggests maple syrup has lost its appeal as its flavor becomes more boring over time (with more efficient processes... I guess mainly electric boiling and extreme brix RO)
    https://financialpost.com/feature/qu...-global-demand

Lots of truths in that article. All the 'technology' IMO hasn't been great for the average consumers appeal towards maple syrup. (taste and image)

Default Syrup Taste

I read the article and it's very interesting and enlitening if all true. I'm a back yarder with 55 trees and boil outside over wood fire. I've had several people tell me my syrup is a lot better than what they've bought in the stores. Don't know if they are being kind, biased, honest or buying maple flavored stuff, but I appreciate the comments. I do RO to 6% concentrate and run a continuous flow pan when processing.
    Last edited by GWebb; 01-09-2024 at 05:15 PM.
    1st year tapped 5 trees, boiled in pans on rock fire - really smokey taste
    2021 - 20 taps - 4 Gal on barrel stove and pans
    2022 - 9.1 Gal - 41 taps this year. 14 + 7 on 3/16" gravity vacuum. 20 in buckets/bags. DIY RO system - 2/3 water gone - amazing.
    2023 - 59 taps: 25 on 3/16" vacuum line/pump, 30 on 3/16" natural vacuum, 4 on bags. New 2x3 Badgerland pan anxious to try.

100% its due to the amount of RO used and the fact the commercial syrup is blended to balance the types of sugars and create a consistent product. Part of the flavour profile of the "maple" aspect to the maple syrup is due to the cooking and caramelization of the sugars. Lower brix means longer cook time to develop the flavours. Your syrup taste much better than the other stuff because you only bring it up to 6% and cook for a long long time.
    I sell my syrup in a very maple intense area. Lots of producers here. I only make about 5-600 Litres a year. Small scale commercial or large scale hobby. Never have a problem selling out my stuff because it stands out. I do samples when I do a couple of small craft and farmers markets. The eyes light up when they taste it. It is not what they expect. I constantly get told by my customers that my syrup tastes like their grandfathers syrup from back in the old days. It brings back wonderful memories form a time gone by. And it's true. The taste is different from all the other commercial producers in the area. Part of the reason is my fuel is free. Like 100% free and easy. I burn filtered and pressurized used veggie oil in the evaporator. For that reason, I am able to Cook my sap much longer. I only bring it up to 10 brix through the RO. I have pushed it up to 30% and higher but the flavour is not there so I keep it down to 10- max 12.
    That is my theory why Non or low RO syrup tastes way better then full RO commercial syrup.

My two cents here. Everyone that makes maple syrup that I have ever talked to says theirs is the best tasting that they have ever had including me. "Everyone else is doing it wrong and I've been told that mine is the best they ever had" I hear that a lot and see it in posts a lot. We all put so much time and effort into this that we all want to believe that ours is the best out there. I have had good syrup made on wood, oil, propane, electric you name it. I have had good syrup that was not roed and good syrup that was taken to 20 and beyond. I have heard many people say that ROed syrup tastes different or lacks flavor. The science just doesn't back it up. I have read many studies on this and there just is not a lot of evidence that the flavor is lost etc. I do think like anything that you must be losing something when you get into the 25 range.
    In my opinion blended syrup is some of the issue. I do believe that sugarbushes have different flavor profiles etc and when you blend this stuff from multiple locations you are bound to have some affect. I always encourage people to buy local from a producer that makes their own syrup and sells it. If you like the taste continue to buy from him/her it will likely be consistent. When you buy from the big box stores, LL bean etc. you are getting a lot of different producers products. I am not saying that this is a bad thing and makes a market for the larger producers but just know what you are getting.
    When you see repeat clients that buy from you and attend your open house every year I think that says something about your product and what we all strive for.

19x48 mini pro oil fired, Nano R/O, CDL Vacuum Press,Mountain Maple Vacuum setup
    6x12 sugar house off back of shed
    2024-103 Taps Mostly Sugars, Dozen Reds
    "The days are long, but the years are short"

I am in no way saying my syrup is the best. Just anecdotal reactions from new tasters. My flavour reminds them of their old school syrup from their grandfathers time. I honestly believe it's because I cook each batch longer. If you read the article, it actually suspects that the high amount of RO and super efficient heat regererative evaporators has reduced the amount of maple flavour. I believe it. It also goes on to show how the how the high RO syrup had sap added to it and cooked down longer and tasted different enough that the producer of the syrup didn't recognize it as their own. The article is about how syrup sales are down. Part of the the theory is the the process is too efficient and loses maple flavour. For that reason it is easy to counterfeit with corn syrup and also now there is not enough difference in taste compared to Aunt Jemima, to justify the higher price point of real maple syrup.

One of the largest maple producers in my area had to dial down the RO when they first started to RO their sap because of the taste. They adjusted it until they got back to the flavour they wanted.
    2021 - Year one. 15 taps using 5/16" and drop tube into buckets. Homemade barrel evaporator with 2 steam trays. 4.7L syrup.
    2022. 32 taps. Added AUF.
    2023. 51 taps. Ditched the steam pans for an 18x22 flat pan.
    2024. 56 taps. Built a proper evaporator to fit the 18x22 flat pan and 1 steam pan.

+ Reply to Thread