+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mid/southern Ohio 2023

Iwantsyrup, This cold week we just finished reset the trees and drove the sap down. It will Run for about 3 days when the trees thaw. Should be big runs. Then we'll need a freeze thaw cycle to keep them going. The warm weather forecast is not the best for sap flows. My personal opinion is it's time to tap, my gut feeling is we'll have more warm than cold in February. Your taps should be good for a month to six weeks. Get what sap you can at this point. I'm up in ross county, Bainbridge area. I'll help you out however I can.
    125-150 taps
    Smokey Lakes Full pint Hybrid pan
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye gold View Post
    Iwantsyrup, This cold week we just finished reset the trees and drove the sap down. It will Run for about 3 days when the trees thaw. Should be big runs. Then we'll need a freeze thaw cycle to keep them going. The warm weather forecast is not the best for sap flows. My personal opinion is it's time to tap, my gut feeling is we'll have more warm than cold in February. Your taps should be good for a month to six weeks. Get what sap you can at this point. I'm up in ross county, Bainbridge area. I'll help you out however I can.
    I hear what you’re saying. I’m gonna pull the trigger on that note. I got my new evaporator all decked out and ready, and all my “mandatory” accessories organized, don’t want to wind up with no sap after all the research and prep work and suspense in my first year haha.

Thanks again buckeye gold, I’ll keep you posted and look forward to your posts too!

If you got questions just ask there are a lot of people willing to help you out here. Trader has shortened the learning curve for a lot of us. Pm me if you want.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Hey Buckeye! I tapped 5 trees close to the house this morning in the pouring rain haha. 2 of them starting dripping immediately. Other 3 were dry so far. So success in that I tapped my first maple trees! I drilled 2Ē deep, some at a slight maybe 10 degree angle down. I also tapped them gently in with a rubber mallet but not excessive I donít think. Iíve since read maybe 1.5Ē might be better and horizontal as opposed to angled down slightly. Either way is ok I hope. I assume the 3 of the 5 that didnt flow is just the way it is and I hopefully donít do anything wrong. But anyways, here we go! Iíve got another dozen or so trees left to tap this week! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantsyrup View Post
    Hey Buckeye! I tapped 5 trees close to the house this morning in the pouring rain haha. 2 of them starting dripping immediately. Other 3 were dry so far. So success in that I tapped my first maple trees! I drilled 2Ē deep, some at a slight maybe 10 degree angle down. I also tapped them gently in with a rubber mallet but not excessive I donít think. Iíve since read maybe 1.5Ē might be better and horizontal as opposed to angled down slightly. Either way is ok I hope. I assume the 3 of the 5 that didnt flow is just the way it is and I hopefully donít do anything wrong. But anyways, here we go! Iíve got another dozen or so trees left to tap this week! Thanks!
    Your doing fine. I tap at 2" with only a very slight angle downward. Proctor Maple research center has a lot of tapping data linked through it's sight. Anything from 1.5 to 3" is ok, but I don't think there's much gain for 3" if any. My trees are very slowly waking up. I had 30 gallons of sap this morning from ~130 taps. They're still froze. The ones running are on field edges or more open woods. I look for them to gush sap in the next 24 hrs. You'll get the hang of setting the tap. Hit the spiles until you hear a sound change. I use just a light duty craft hammer and drive until it bounces off the tap and I'm usually good. With a mallet you'll hear a deadened thud when the tap is seated. LIsten and you'll pick it up pretty quick, it's fairly obvious once you've heard it a few times. Good luck and like I said, ask anything you don't know the answer to....no question is wrong or silly.
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Quote Originally Posted by Iwantsyrup View Post
    Either way is ok I hope. I assume the 3 of the 5 that didnt flow is just the way it is and I hopefully donít do anything wrong.
    Warmer weather coming soon. Trees don't warm up as fast as air does. Can take them a while to thaw out before flow starts. Have a little patience and report back in a week.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

I want syrup, this is not too far from you. It's last minute and I don't know if you can still register, but I thought I'd post just in case

https://u.osu.edu/ohiomaple/upcoming-events/
    125-150 taps
    Modified half pint arch
    Air over fire
    All 3/16 tubing
    Southern Ohio

Man thanks that would have been sweet! I told my wife I was gonna try to go and she said no you arenít because our youngest just started indoor soccer and itís his second game ever at 6 years old so canít miss it haha. Thanks for posting the link, good to know they do these events for beginners, Iíll keep an eye out for next year maybe.

I have 12 trees tapped now, 6 are flowing. Exciting! 2 of the morning buckets already have a gallon of sap each in them! Thanks again talk soon!

Thanks dr Perkins, very much appreciated! 6 of 12 are flowing and excited to see the other 6 trees wake up! Iíve got a few more trees I can tap close to my side by side trail so Iíll tap them in the morning. I will definitely report back in, thanks for taking the time to post. It was very helpful.

I sure hope you're right, I only got 75 gallons from 160 taps today and the forecast is too much warm and no cold. Hope I'm wrong but this sure is starting to look just like last year.
    Leader half pint Supreme
    RO Bucket-RB15

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast